Why Update to 1.7

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, this might sound stupid but I do not find any reason for mods to update to 1.7...

Sure there's new features but it seems they are mostly things 1.6 mods already add or are just a bit negligible, with the possible exception of the fishing update. The new biomes also don't "feel" vanilla for some strange reason, with the exception of the new cold biomes and savanna.

Plus people have stated that fps in 1.7 is worse and the only major feature that seems helpful to modding I think might be the new spawning system.

Overall, what's the reason really? Is it's just to update or something I'm not seeing.

Plus, moderns used to 1.6 have to make major changes to their mod to update to 1.7 IIRC

Thanks in advance!

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
1.7 is the current version of MC, therefore people should update to it :3
Ok, the new way ids are handled is fantastic for the players to work with. And takes a lot of work out of the hand of modpack makers.
1.7 world gen is really cool.
1.8 will come after 1.7, not immediately after 1.6, therefore, mods need to update in order to not get left behind.
People are far too tied to 1.6.4, we need to break ties with it and move on. I hate seeing 1.6 mods still updating, it just bugs me. Port then fix, then backport the changes to the 1.6.4 version if it makes sense. Soon(ish) we will have forge for 1.7.9 and will have all of the dumb things with 1.7.2 fixed.
1.7 for a lot of people has no change on performance so that's not really a valid reason.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
for me 1.7 is great update , new biomes , new mods and better performance overall.
making own pack is so easy now , no block id conflicts,you just need to tweak some things in configs and thats all..
soon or later you too will be playing modded 1.7 !

Reactions: XxSaRobz09xX

psp

Jul 29, 2019
1.7 is the current version of MC, therefore people should update to it :3
Ok, the new way ids are handled is fantastic for the players to work with. And takes a lot of work out of the hand of modpack makers.
1.7 world gen is really cool.
1.8 will come after 1.7, not immediately after 1.6, therefore, mods need to update in order to not get left behind.
People are far too tied to 1.6.4, we need to break ties with it and move on. I hate seeing 1.6 mods still updating, it just bugs me. Port then fix, then backport the changes to the 1.6.4 version if it makes sense. Soon(ish) we will have forge for 1.7.9 and will have all of the dumb things with 1.7.2 fixed.
1.7 for a lot of people has no change on performance so that's not really a valid reason.

What happened, i think, is that mods just sat and got updated in 1.6.4 for sooo long people feel no pressure to update with most mods highly updated and refined for 1.6.4, but not 1.7

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, see I thought that the id thing was 1.8 XD

So I see why mods should update but, I don't see why "it's the current version" is a sound reason.

What makes the fact that it's the current version so good when we can just as easily say 2.1 Beta is the current version for mods and just do that? Because people would whine if it's not the current version? I personally don't see that as a valid reason. If 100 people went on the IC2 forums and whined about how there's no Brony fanservice, that would do didly.

In my opinion, if there was a commonly accepted version to make mods for, we wouldn't have mods fading out of existence because of the changing versions (like how in 1.2.5 EE was giant, but what we have now is tiny, and there's no way to use that with our favorite 1.6 mods)

Reactions: immibis

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
about this id removal thing, can i have a link to somewhere that explains just ho big it is for modders?

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
about this id removal thing, can i have a link to somewhere that explains just ho big it is for modders?
Link?
It's literally that mod configs will no longer make you setup blockids, and you can't have blockid conflicts (unless the modder messes up :p)
And also modders code different.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
Link?
It's literally that mod configs will no longer make you setup blockids, and you can't have blockid conflicts (unless the modder messes up :p)
And also modders code different.

i know that much i just want a link to somewhere that explains this in detail instead of cluttering up a thread.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
i know that much i just want a link to somewhere that explains this in detail instead of cluttering up a thread.
Why do you need a link to explain it in details? Unless you're coding a mod for 1.6.4 and want to port it to 1.7, it's just a simple "forget the exist, because they don't anymore beyond internals you don't need to worry about".

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
Why do you need a link to explain it in details? Unless you're coding a mod for 1.6.4 and want to port it to 1.7, it's just a simple "forget the exist, because they don't anymore beyond internals you don't need to worry about".

because i want learn what it means for the future of modded minecraft. i may not code or make mods but that doesnt mean i cant nor want to know all the details.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
because i want learn what it means for the future of modded minecraft. i may not code or make mods but that doesnt mean i cant nor want to know all the details.
The details are basically that. For a layman, that's all you really need to know. IDs now auto-resolve like a super effective ID resolver mod, except it can do this for maps (and thus servers) with different IDs too.
A important step towards the "Plugin API" since Mojang is now using the word "mod" as their boogie man. They assume they can define what mod means in their game. They can define it internally, but outside that, it's 100% Internet decision. Like how the guy who made the .gif format made it, didn't tell us if it's a hard or soft G sound, came back years after the internet decided upon soft G, and then said "I made it, there is only one right way, a Hard G sound" and assumed his word mattered against the whole internet.
Spoiler alert: It's a soft G, because the Internet agreed on it(a miracle in of itself). And the dude was a couple years too late to have a say how it's pronounced even though he made the format.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
The details are basically that. For a layman, that's all you really need to know. IDs now auto-resolve like a super effective ID resolver mod, except it can do this for maps (and thus servers) with different IDs too.
A important step towards the "Plugin API" since Mojang is now using the word "mod" as their boogie man. They assume they can define what mod means in their game. They can define it internally, but outside that, it's 100% Internet decision. Like how the guy who made the .gif format made it, didn't tell us if it's a hard or soft G sound, came back years after the internet decided upon soft G, and then said "I made it, there is only one right way, a Hard G sound" and assumed his word mattered against the whole internet.
Spoiler alert: It's a soft G, because the Internet agreed on it(a miracle in of itself). And the dude was a couple years too late to have a say how it's pronounced even though he made the format.

....... look if your not going to give me the information i want why waste your time typing all that out? i want its in detail, i dont want to be ill-informed on the matter i want to read something official about it and learn more about whats going on with the game me and so many others love.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
....... look if your not going to give me the information i want why waste your time typing all that out? i want its in detail, i dont want to be ill-informed on the matter i want to read something official about it and learn more about whats going on with the game me and so many others love.
...Because I'm not gonna give you the fish if you ought to learn to catch them yourself?

Plus, there isn't much more to it then what I said. IDs aren't a thing anymore beyond for maps, as they are assigned when you make the map or load it. Thus, it's a important step towards whatever Mojang wishes to call the Modding API now, and a insanely useful for the end user, and it makes modpacks insanely easier to make as well.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
First, a small percentage of players whine about mods not being updated.

Then, some mods update.

Then, a larger percentage of players want to use the latest version of those mods, so they start whining about mods not being updated.

Then, more mods update.

Then, an even larger percentage of players want to use the latest version of those mods, but now they have enough mods to start playing 1.7, so they do.

Then, some modders creAtE new mods for 1.7.

Then, other players see the new features and new mods and want to use them. This happens faster if one of the players from the previous step was direwolf20.

Then, most people who make their own modpacks, and some of the more bleeding-edge modpacks (sort of like Resonant Rise) update.

Then most modders reluctantly update because users are moving away from 1.6.

Then most users reluctantly update because modders are moving away from 1.6.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Wait, so no updating a mod pack and finding all my glass blocks have been replaced by Metallurgy 3 Deischalkos blocks? I hate 1.7 already. :p

Totally not kidding about that by the way.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I'll TL;DR it for you.
Prior 1.7, you can use the variable .itemID or .blockID to get the ID of whatever block your referencing. Now you use the method .getBlock() or .getItem().

If you use .itemID/.blockID a lot, then you're in for a lot of work. Otherwise, it's pretty simple to update. I've known about the 1.7 change before I made Technomancy so I referenced IDs very little. Whenever TE updates to 1.7, then I'll follow suit fairly quickly.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'll TL;DR it for you.
Prior 1.7, you can use the variable .itemID or .blockID to get the ID of whatever block your referencing. Now you use the method .getBlock() or .getItem().

If you use .itemID/.blockID a lot, then you're in for a lot of work. Otherwise, it's pretty simple to update. I've known about the 1.7 change before I made Technomancy so I referenced IDs very little. Whenever TE updates to 1.7, then I'll follow suit fairly quickly.
No no no, he's asking for the "too long, but I read it anyway" version, despite not being a coder or a modder.