Which Mini-map?

Discussion in 'General FTB chat' started by PCPuddin, Mar 11, 2013.

1. PCPuddin

PCPuddin Member

From what I have read, people rather Rei's Mini-map but I have been using Zan's Mini-map (voxel map) for a while now and in some ways it seems better to me. I'd like to know which mini-map everybody else prefers?
  2. jumpfight5

jumpfight5 Popular Member

Put a poll up in the corner, then you'll be able to see much easier, and people will just vote (as it takes half a second), as opposed to stating their opinion. I like to know why too, though, but polls are still good (just don't overuse it :p). I personally prefer rei's, voxel causes lag issues I prefer to avoid.
  3. tunnen

tunnen Member

I have mixed feelings. I'm liking some aspects of Zan's map, like mob/player icons, but disliking how the way-points don't seem to respect the dimension they are placed in like Rei's do. Maybe it's a configuration setting somewhere that I haven't found.
  4. Mero

Mero Active Member

Unless/until a large number of people come on here stating how awesomely awesome a different mini map is, I will stick with what I know and like.
    I have yet to hear any reason that would make me want to switch from rei's
  5. Lambert2191

Lambert2191 Popular Member

Rei's. Any mod with the name "Voxel" in it is a laggy mess that I shall always disable.
    Mooseman9, GreenWolf13 and Saice like this.
  6. DZCreeper

DZCreeper Well-Known Member

To be perfectly fair I have heard some talk about the Rei's minimap leaking memory and causing client performance issues. So I don't use an ingame map, I just keep a text file open with important locations, but I have gotten used to just knowing where stuff is, so I rarely full screen it.
  7. PCPuddin

PCPuddin Member

oh dammit I totally forgot about the poll soz :confused:
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 12, 2013 ---
    I installed mine off the planet minecraft website and it seems perfectly fine to me
  8. GameFAQsRolo

GameFAQsRolo New Member

After all the complaints about lag and the voxel mods, I decided to verify it for myself.

VoxelMap + liteloader (all other voxel mods disabled)
    2013-03-11 17:39:12 - javaw
    Frames: 8555 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 142.583 - Min: 116 - Max: 213

Rei's minimap
    2013-03-11 17:42:23 - javaw
    Frames: 7395 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 123.250 - Min: 99 - Max: 199

Also, wandering around different Mystcraft worlds, and exploration in general, was much smoother while using VoxelMap.
  9. PCPuddin

PCPuddin Member

and voxel map doesn't even need liteloader
  10. jumpfight5

jumpfight5 Popular Member

*decides to give voxel another chance*
  11. GameFAQsRolo

GameFAQsRolo New Member

It won't load for me without liteloader on Ultimate.
  12. Someone Else 37

Someone Else 37 Active Member

I prefer Rei's, mainly because VoxelMap doesn't render waypoints in the world that are more than one kilometer away. Also, I always mashed Rei's into the far corner of my screen (small and semitransparent), which I just can't do with VoxelMap.

But, I'm too lazy to disable Voxel and install Rei's into my Ultimate Pack client after every update, so Voxel I am currently using.
  13. PCPuddin

PCPuddin Member

oh I'm using the dw20 pack with the map installed
  14. Saice

Saice Tech Support

That and I am not a fan of all the radar and teleport options feels vary cheaty to me.

Rei's is nice and simple can gets the job done.