What is the best Tinker's Construct Material should I use for the Tconstruct Bows

Status
Not open for further replies.

HungryHiPPo

Jul 29, 2019
I think you have confused 'highest damage output' with 'highest raw damage numbers'. Remember, for damage to count, you actually have to hit your opponent. Therefore, the arrows you describe would likely not have an appreciable increase in damage over time or speed in eliminating enemies over the ones I describe due to inaccuracy and lack of range.

Of course, YMMV, but I don't think those arrows are going to work out as well for you as you think they will.

I don't understand how I could be more clear. It's not a theory, I use them. They're plenty accurate and have plenty of range. They're on par with the vanilla bow for both. Also since they're the only arrow I use they're very easy to adjust to. Not sure what you're not getting here...
I'll play with your arrows later today to test their superior accuracy and distance, but the ones I have now I don't often miss with unless I'm shooting at something very far away, which isn't often, and even then I hit my target most of the time. In addition, I actually use these to melee mobs with a good deal of time.

HungryHiPPo

Jul 29, 2019
So I decided to test the accuracy and range(sorta) of the arrows to see how much of a difference we're talking. I say sorta on the range because I only tested up to 100 blocks away. I rarely shoot things that far away as it is, but 100 seemed like a good number. I also tested at 50 blocks which is much more my speed in terms of range.
Anyway, my test setup looked like this:
2013-10-24_17.10.10.png

This is the view from 100 blocks away and you can probably see why it's not very practical to try and shoot something from this far. That crossbar at the very top is what I would use to line my shots up with and looked like this:
2013-10-24_17.10.26.png

I would also move as far up and to the right of my platform as I could to make sure I was standing in the same spot each time so my platform I was shooting from looked like this:
2013-10-24_17.09.55.png

and when I lined up my shot, it would look like this:
2013-10-24_17.09.42.png

I then proceeded to fire 10 arrows that were paper/paper/feather followed by 10 arrows of cactus/slime/feather and the results looked like this from the front:
2013-10-24_17.09.08.png

and like this from the side:
2013-10-24_17.08.57.png

as you can see, the extra range from the lighter arrows, was negligible when compared to the paper arrows and can easily be corrected. In addition, the paper arrows appear to be in a tighter grouping, but not by much, and given the fact I only tested 10 arrows, I'll just chalk that up to standard deviation, and not really take it into account.

I did however wonder if there was indeed a correlation of heavier arrows giving a tighter shot, and decided to test maly/maly/slime arrows. However, they didn't even come close to hitting the target from 100 blocks away. This led me to the realization that the lighter the arrow, indeed, the further it must be able to fly, since no amount of arch would let me hit the ship, and after increasing the arch didn't change the area they landed in by much, so there must be a drop off point for all arrows based on weight. Again, since I don't see myself ever even shooting things at 100 blocks away other than those moments we all have where we say "I wonder if I can hit that from here" and the drop off point is further than 100 blcoks with paper arrows, then the lighter arrows don't play a factor in my book.

now, I still wanted to test the maly/maly/slime arrows, and I also thought it would be a good idea to test the other arrows at a closer range to see what the results are like since that's where I feel most people probably shoot from. So I tested from 50 blocks. From 50 blocks I tested the heavy maly arrows first, and aimed at the cross bar at the top just to get them to hit the sail and to see if they would land any tighter. That looked like this from the front:
2013-10-24_17.19.49.png

Not too shabby. The spread from left to right is much tighter, but the spread up and down is about the same. However, this was much closer, so let's see what the paper and cactus/slime arrows looked like.
For this test, I lined my crosshairs up with the top of the sail from 50 blocks away and that looked like this:
2013-10-24_17.22.28.png

I then shot 10 of each arrow (I also left the 10 arrows from the maly test fire there, but ignore those ones which are the ones with green fletchings) and they looked like this from the front:
2013-10-24_17.23.31.png

and this from the side:
2013-10-24_17.23.41.png

I didn't bother to circle which were which on this one since they all landed in pretty much the same area. I think this definitively proves that there really is no reason to go for anything other than paper/paper/feather for your arrows since that gives the most modifiers while still having an arrow that can fly pretty damn far with pretty damn good accuracy.

Anyway, hope this helps!

tldr;
the accuracy and (required) range of cactus/slime/feather arrows compared to paper/paper/feather arrows is so comparable and easily adjusted for, that there is no reason not to grab the additional modifiers from paper/paper and these should be your go to arrows.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
That's nice, but mobs rarely just sit around stationary and immobile. One of the biggest factors your test ignores, the whole reason I like the arrows I do, is the flight speed, which translates to not needing to 'lead' your target as much. Particularly in fights such as the EnderDragon, but also in any fight where your opponent is moving around a lot, it can make a huge impact.

You have found what works for you. That's nice. I've found that to be a massive waste of resources. To each their own.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Mobs at that range generally are not actively seeking you, so they tend to have start/stop periods making them easy enough to shoot.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Mobs at that range generally are not actively seeking you, so they tend to have start/stop periods making them easy enough to shoot.
Until you get into some of the flying mobs, like are found in the hexxit pack that he's playing on.

Also, I find it amusing that my arrows are actually going -faster- than most gun mod bullets...

gigaiDX

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to test a 2 slime tool rod + enchanted bowstring short bow and it didn't turn out too bad. Without any modifiers it's got a decent durability (1056) and its draw speed and arrow speed is 1.08. It obviously isn't the "best" bow, but it'll do something. When upgrading using all modifiers (including the 2 extra provided by gold block + diamond and nether star) the draw speed comes down to a really quick 0.43s, which is pretty damn good in my opinion. As I said it really isn't the greatest but it'll definitely get you somewhere for a while.

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Someone's going to gripe at you about necroing. So I'm going to launch a pre-emptive attack and say, its cool. This exact topic gets raised every few weeks; I'd just as soon not see a thousand "new" threads about it.

Also: I generally use a bow similar to that one, unless I'm playing a modpack with RoC, in which case I use gravel guns. Which are totally overpowered, but there you go.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Enchanted String being viable or not is entirely determined by how useful an additional modifier is. Now, most modifiers tend to have 'diminishing returns', so this isn't always as amazing as one might think. There's precious few modifiers worth putting on a bow other than Fluxed and Redstone, since they won't affect the arrows in any measurable way. However, flamestring has the fastest arrow speed, which seems to be one of the numbers that cannot be affected by enchanting. So, to my mind, flamestring is better than enchanted for purposes of crafting a bow. However, if you enjoy having a bow with knockback to protect against Surprise Creeper, it might be worth your while.

As far as arrows, slime rods and feather fletching are simply superior to any other option, so the only determination is the head material. And for what you consider to be a 'good' material will depend on your position on modifying them.

For those who don't want to fully stack up and modify arrows and want something completely renewable, you can use Cactus. It's the lightest arrowhead material in the game, and you still do 5 damage a shot with it.

For those who don't mind spending a bit of Alumite and Nether Quartz, you can hit 10 hearts with Alumite heads and 72 Nether Quartz. This here is the one-shot-drop bow that will take down creepers, zombies, and skeletons (barring armored opponents).

For those who want a lot of modifiers, paper or thaumium is an option. You can get a higher theoretical damage number, but you're going to see a noticeable drop in aerodynamics, and it's going to be a serious investment in nether quartz that you might not always be able to recover. This will mean a slow but steady drain on your nether quartz supplies.

I once tried doing the Green Arrow/Hawkeye thing and making a stack of arrows with Smiting, a stack of arrow with Bane of Crapthropods... but that was extremely awkward swapping ammo types out. Maybe if there was a selectable quiver option, it would be more viable. Actually, that might not be a bad idea for a piece of tinker's gear, the archer's quiver with the ability to store several stacks of arrows and be able to select which stack you are pulling from with a hotkey.

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
Enchanted String being viable or not is entirely determined by how useful an additional modifier is. Now, most modifiers tend to have 'diminishing returns', so this isn't always as amazing as one might think. There's precious few modifiers worth putting on a bow other than Fluxed and Redstone, since they won't affect the arrows in any measurable way. However, flamestring has the fastest arrow speed, which seems to be one of the numbers that cannot be affected by enchanting. So, to my mind, flamestring is better than enchanted for purposes of crafting a bow. However, if you enjoy having a bow with knockback to protect against Surprise Creeper, it might be worth your while.

As far as arrows, slime rods and feather fletching are simply superior to any other option, so the only determination is the head material. And for what you consider to be a 'good' material will depend on your position on modifying them.

For those who don't want to fully stack up and modify arrows and want something completely renewable, you can use Cactus. It's the lightest arrowhead material in the game, and you still do 5 damage a shot with it.

For those who don't mind spending a bit of Alumite and Nether Quartz, you can hit 10 hearts with Alumite heads and 72 Nether Quartz. This here is the one-shot-drop bow that will take down creepers, zombies, and skeletons (barring armored opponents).

For those who want a lot of modifiers, paper or thaumium is an option. You can get a higher theoretical damage number, but you're going to see a noticeable drop in aerodynamics, and it's going to be a serious investment in nether quartz that you might not always be able to recover. This will mean a slow but steady drain on your nether quartz supplies.

I once tried doing the Green Arrow/Hawkeye thing and making a stack of arrows with Smiting, a stack of arrow with Bane of Crapthropods... but that was extremely awkward swapping ammo types out. Maybe if there was a selectable quiver option, it would be more viable. Actually, that might not be a bad idea for a piece of tinker's gear, the archer's quiver with the ability to store several stacks of arrows and be able to select which stack you are pulling from with a hotkey.
Mad props for the quiver idea!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: SynfulChaot

Vollder

Jul 29, 2019
Hey jo ppl I'm playing FTB Infinity and i think that an
shortbow:

with Thaumium and paper bow limb's and flamestring
than one Modifier on Luck and Moss
the rest redstone
I'll test it later :p

For the arrow
I'd use an manyullyn head
an Bone rod
and an Blue Slime Flatching
for the modifier Moss the rest Quartz should be okay....

But I'd prefer an Cross bow with
Thaumium Body
Paper Cross
Blue Slime Crossbow Limb
Flamestring
With Moss
Luck
rest redstone
final Draw speed 0,7s

For the Bolt
Thaumium Rod with manyullyn
and Blue Slime Flatching
Ammo: 125
one Moss And the rest Quartz
maybe other modifier but I'd prefer Quartz
end Dmg about 41,7 pre shot

But I will mess around with the bow's too
:p

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Hey jo ppl I'm playing FTB Infinity and i think that an
shortbow:

with Thaumium and paper bow limb's and flamestring
than one Modifier on Luck and Moss
the rest redstone
I'll test it later :p

For the arrow
I'd use an manyullyn head
an Bone rod
and an Blue Slime Flatching
for the modifier Moss the rest Quartz should be okay....

But I'd prefer an Cross bow with
Thaumium Body
Paper Cross
Blue Slime Crossbow Limb
Flamestring
With Moss
Luck
rest redstone
final Draw speed 0,7s

For the Bolt
Thaumium Rod with manyullyn
and Blue Slime Flatching
Ammo: 125
one Moss And the rest Quartz
maybe other modifier but I'd prefer Quartz
end Dmg about 41,7 pre shot

But I will mess around with the bow's too
:p
Holy Thread Necromancy, batman! This thread was from before the ranged weapon update, so things are different now.

Try Plastic instead of Blue Slime for the crossbow limb, better draw speed and arrow speed. Use Flux instead of Moss if you plan on using it frequently, Luck has zero use on the crossbow itself since it is only used in melee. So all you need on your crossbow is Flux and a whole pile of Redstone.

For the bolt, Thaumium Rods are not a valid bolt core, it will not let you make them. Why bother with Many head when Steel has the same damage output and much easier to create? Quartz no longer adds damage to bolts, your end damage will be around 17.5ish.

Issei Hyoudou

Jul 29, 2019
if you have thermal foundation, signalum is crazy op with 0.3 second drawspeed and 9 hearts of damage. pair with a bedrockium or blue slime plate and flame string, is rediculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.