What does a Spawn need

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
Basically looking for info as to what a good spawn requires?

I've made mine a well lit area - used ForgeEssentials to protect it from damage/placing of blocks
And disabled mob spawns in the zone.
It is also very big, and has a portal that helps players traverse the Overworld towards more interesting areas.

What else should it have?
Links to website/forums?
Rules?

I've tried to make dispensers that give players a sword and pickaxe.
But for some reason - they work for me, but not other players.
And this is even with me taking Op off.

(Its basically a Lever with a redstone signal going to command block)

I block the Place and Break permissions in the zone, but interact is allowed to guests, players , all.
But still other player dont seem to be able to interact with the levers.

Thoughts?

My server is ideally going to be a magic RP world.

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
A small basic farm adjacent to some kind of tavern or inn for food and beds?
Perhaps a public library where your players can request all the guide books to whatever magical mods you may have.

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
So - as it turns out - Spawn Areas protect the blocks around them - including levers - making them un-usable.
At least that is my assumption at this stage.
I had some levers setup in my spawn area which would dispense free Iron Sword and Pickaxes to new players.

Players couldn't use them, but I could : the odd thing was that I seemed to be able to use them even with Op status removed.
I even wiped the Forge Essentials permissions for my whole server trying to debug - until a player suggested it was the WorldSpawn protection?
Does this sound right?

Just found this:
Non-operator players cannot place or destroy blocks in the protected area, nor can they use doors or Redstone devices other than Pressure Plates. Creepers can still destroy terrain in the protected area and TNTplaced outside of the protected area will destroy surrounding blocks as usual. Along with this, portals from the nether can connect to the protected area, water/lava/fire can spread from outside into the protected area, and pistons can push items inside as well. Players can place blocks on the edge of the protected area if placed against the side of a block on the outside of the area. However, if the edges of the protected area are avoided, small, indestructible structures can be built. Paintings that are put up can be removed by players in the safe zone.

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it's exactly that. You can build around the spawn area but if you want redstone contraptions or the ability for players to break and place blocks you're gunna have to do that beyond the boundaries of the protected area.

You can find the details about how large the area is here

As for how you were able to use them while not being in operator mode, were you perhaps in Creative? Not sure if that would let you bypass the limitation.

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, possibly.
I thought initially it was Forge Essentials preventing the players from using the levers - so I focused on changing the permissions initially.
Had /p debug turned on - and was analyzing each spam message that appeared when I used the lever and when someone else used the levers.

What I did notice was that the other players generated no FE event - like it was being blocked before the code could get to Forge Essentials.
Me however- I was getting through to FE.

It must have been the creative mode - I was still in creative mode after /deop myself.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Rather than using a lever to trigger the item-spawning mechanics, a pressure plate could probably do the job just as well, without running into trouble with protections. Something like "Step here for a sword and a pick".

You could also use a modded pressure plate, such as an obsidian plate or EnderIO plate, to accomplish the same thing, without the potential of problems if a mob steps on it.

mc.crab

Feb 2, 2013
If you have protected the spawn with FE you could set the spawn-protection to 0 in server.properties, that causes it to only protect a sigle block in the middle of the spawn.
The problem with levers, buttons and pressure plates is that it allows someone to take everything from the container.

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
I did start using pressure plates - but found that zombies walking over the plates could trigger the command block - and because it used @p - it would target the closest player.
Not good when building Shop systems.
Don't want to randomly charge someone 100 coins for an Iron ingot they dont need- just because a zombie walked over the plate.
If there is another means of targetting via command block commands - which will get the user, opposed to the closest player, then i would gladly go with pressure plates.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I did start using pressure plates - but found that zombies walking over the plates could trigger the command block - and because it used @p - it would target the closest player.
Not good when building Shop systems.
Don't want to randomly charge someone 100 coins for an Iron ingot they dont need- just because a zombie walked over the plate.
If there is another means of targetting via command block commands - which will get the user, opposed to the closest player, then i would gladly go with pressure plates.
Two options that I can think of:
1. Do you have ObsidianPlates or EnderIO? Both of those mods add pressure plates that can only be triggered by players (or can be configured to do so).
2. Commands do allow you to select an area in which the command will apply. For instance, if I understand the syntax correctly, /give @p[r=6] minecraft:cobblestone should give a cobblestone to the player closest to the command block, but only if there is a player within six meters of the block. This page on the MC wiki has more details.