Two platinum == Limitless iridium

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree with dragonfel - it's not so much of an exploit when you realize you're giving up a sizeable percentage of all of your ore in order to generate iridium

Wait, what?

To generate rich slag, you run ore through an induction smelter and you get two ingots AND 20% of the time, rich slag. You lose nothing compared to a macerator and compared to a pulverizer you only lose the 5% chance at a bonus dust. Sand is no real cost, as anybody with a pick has an overabundance of cobble and that turns into sand easily enough

don't forget gregtech isn't the only mod with expensive ore costs. A turbine and boiler to run it are over 600 steel (600 iron and 600 coal coke) and nuclear reactors cost insane amounts of copper and tin and iron to make.

Anybody using rich slag to create extra iron in the FTB modpack has lost rationality and perspective. Tin maybe. Copper maybe. Iron? Never. I have over 30 stacks of iron ingots, and only 2 iridium. I have enough platinum to engage in this exploit, it only takes two to start, I just choose not to.

You're giving up reaching those 2 powerful energy generators anytime soon if you've been dumping all your ore in an induction furnace in the hopes of getting slag.

Probability is probability. There is no luck. There is no hope needed. If you want a stack of rich slag, you need only smelt 10 stacks of ores. That iis sufficient quantity to even out the probability. It takes time, but it is a guarantee.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
I am sorry. I was confusing the induction smelter for something else entirely. You only sacrifice the 5% bonus ore chance when using the smelter over the pulverizer but rich slag completely overrides the need for it.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Your giving up the triple ingots from the factorization processing line. So yes, you lose ~30% (getting 2 isntead of 3)of your ingot income to do this or you dont gain 50% extra depending how you look at it.

Also note that rich slag is NOT the problem. Giving up 30% of all ore income to generate 1 extra ingot of choice every 5 ores processed is still a big loss in total income.

If there is a problem, wich greg ofcourse thinks there is, then its either
1. shiney converting to plat
2. the amount of plat dust required to make irridium
3. Shiney dust working in a slag furnace.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Your giving up the triple ingots from the factorization processing line. So yes, you lose ~30% (getting 2 isntead of 3)of your ingot income to do this or you dont gain 50% extra depending how you look at it.

Also note that rich slag is NOT the problem. Giving up 30% of all ore income to generate 1 extra ingot of choice every 5 ores processed is still a big loss in total income.

For anyone with gregtech the infinite iridium will outweigh everything except the most extreme circumstances. Iridium is your bottle neck in high tier production, certainly not iron/diamonds/gems (redpower)/silver/gold. Tin has had it's world gen upped and copper is only a big deal if you want to make nuclear reactors for your generators.

3. Shiney dust working in a slag furnace.

Disabling platinum from the induction smelter would fix it without breaking the theme of swappable parts. At least disabling the rich slag recipe version.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Actually I'd say that the rich slag mechanic **usable on dusts** is the problem. Being able to take any two ingots/dusts and duplicate them in high quantity is an issue. It's just that the worst example happens to be Gregtech based. Something in the future will be the next "intended to be rare" that gets duped.

Switch the mechanic to work with ores instead of dusts and the problem goes away.

Supremeone

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, what?

Anybody using rich slag to create extra iron in the FTB modpack has lost rationality and perspective. Tin maybe. Copper maybe. Iron? Never. I have over 30 stacks of iron ingots, and only 2 iridium. I have enough platinum to engage in this exploit, it only takes two to start, I just choose not to.

thats what i dont get about you guy's you bitch and you bitch about in balance and stuff , if you dont like it dont use it
its a game were you can fly around with electric jetpacks , break ores you cant break before by using a diamond pickaxe ( wich is realy hard but crap at impacts )

if you dont like something in a mod DONT USE IT i dont like the fact that gregtech finds it necessary to change others ppl's mod , just so his one isnt inbalanced
he made the entire forestry farm's ( which i see as early/mid game ) expensive , just so he can balances his stuff ? if he wants his stuff to be expensive that he makes his stuff require more things
not changes others

and whit that sentence i just deraild the thread , bring on the flame wars =P

just want to say if you dont like pony's don't install the pony mod , if you dont like turning one metal, at the cost of time and energy ( how ever much it may be ) in to a other metal dont do it

Reactions: GreenWolf13

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to report another exploit to create infinite stuff. There is this machine you can power by infinite power sources (sun, wind ... whatever) and boom it gives you this stuff to make it. In fact there is even another machine that you can throw anything in minecraft (cobble, sand or anything else you don't want) and it gives you this stinky stuff that makes the first machine make tons more stuff to make it. Total exploits. :(

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to report another exploit to create infinite iridium. There is this machine you can power by infinite power sources (sun, wind ... whatever) and boom it gives you this stuff to make iridium. In fact there is even another machine that you can throw anything in minecraft (cobble, sand or anything else you don't want) and it gives you this stinky stuff that makes the first machine make tons more stuff to make iridium. Total exploits. :(

Loving the sad troll attempt. Let's throw quantities out the window.

You need mid tier to unlock any form of solar on gregtech (I will only speak for hardmode as easymode goes against the point of the mod in itself), this means you need non-renewable power to unlock solar. Wind and water will never give you significant amounts of power in IC2, never enough to power a matter fabricator reasonably.

A solar panel (which requires a centrifuge/electrolyzer and industrial blast furnace to make) will make 1 eu/t during the non-raining day. The matter fabricator will use up 8192/tick - so ignoring packet loss you would need over 8000 solar panels to run it properly (and a few hundred to run it at all). It then takes 100000000 eu (also you clearly don't know how the matter fab works) along with a constant supply of scrap. If there is no scrap the machine will stop producing UU-Matter. The scrap is easy to get granted, but the energy is not.

You are looking at 700000000 EU per iridium, or 2800000000 EU per iridium plate (the thing you will be using). Some crafts will be using upwards of 50 plates, whereas some will only take 1-2. Regardless the EU required is insane compared to the cost of the energy. Not even a fusion reactor can make enough for a decent amount of iridium within minutes, and that thing costs more iridium than I imagine most non-gregtech users will ever make to craft.

But please, explain how a machine that can run off something like 0.1MJ for a few seconds to create iridium in minutes, in an amoeba-like multiplicative fashion, is comparable to matter fabrication.

drazath

Jul 29, 2019
It then takes 100000000 eu (also you clearly don't know how the matter fab works) along with a constant supply of scrap.

I thought it was 100 times the amount of EUs required by regular mass fab using scrap (that is, 100* ~166k EU)?

From the wiki:

Matterfabricator

A Matterfabricator is a special Version of the Massfabricator. If you use the Default in the Config, then it will automatically disable the Recipe of the normal Massfabricator, and replace the Massfabricator with this Device and its new crafting recipe. The downside/nerf of this is that you MUST supply Scrap and that it normally costs (configurable to be even cheaper) 100 Times more Energy, than normal Scrap-Massfabrication. It accepts up to 8192EU/p, so you can directly connect your Lightningrod to it, instead of using 4 HV-Transformers.

So "merely" 16.7M EU per UUM.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
@raiju That you are so defensive as to be incapable of seeing sarcasm in that post makes me sad.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
I thought it was 100 times the amount of EUs required by regular mass fab using scrap (that is, 100* ~166k EU)?

From the wiki:

So "merely" 16.7M EU per UUM.

Yeah it's only 16.7 million per UUm.. damn.. the vanilla IC2 UUM is so cheap.. OMG.. 166K lol, tungsten dust needs 256k to be processed to tungsten ingot.. Orz

Supremeone

Jul 29, 2019
you can't compare "don't turn on a mod" with "don't use a recipe". A lot of us play multiplayer.

even if you dont have the choice of which mods are there you still dont have to use them . You think flying around is OP dont make a jetpack that dont stop you from using a macerator

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
even if you dont have the choice of which mods are there you still dont have to use them . You think flying around is OP dont make a jetpack that dont stop you from using a macerator

His post was trying to say this: even if I don't use it, other people in the server will use it.

EDIT:
I know, you can disable the platinum-> iridium recipe from the RecipesAdvancedConfig.cfg (GTconfig)
B:item.material.dustPlatinum=true to false

The way is to suggest something to both mod authors (GT and TE) to see what can be done about it.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
Exaggeration, sarcasm either way that you took me literally. The point is it is infinite. Lots of stuff in minecraft is. Iridium (while very rare) can even be mined using greg-tech.

Also, I disagree with your statements you made when you did take my post seriously. You said that that energy is hard to come by. No, once you have a few HV/ult (even MV/hybrid and chuckloader for while you sleep) it is again, easy and infinite.

Personally any power systems that use infinite power sources I don't think is very good. There should be some need for people to maintain such power systems in some way. At the very least they should have something like what Elo did with the windmills and the turbines having some durability.

On this topic this method to create something over and over again (much like the matter fab) the issue is how fast it can be done and how much energy is needed in the process. That in this process it uses much less energy through MJs and EU (not counting the ore loss) is a lot less than the matter fab is not really a TE problem due to TE not being designed based on iridium. Iridium isn't TE's concern. That is IC2. IC2 (greg-tech as the add on most are concerned about here for balance) it is their concern. That is where it needs to be addressed.

Supremeone

Jul 29, 2019
So what if other ppl use it ? Its not the kind of game were everyone is at constant war for resources . There are pleny of stuff in the ground . And if your in that kind of server were ppl are contiualy stealing and griefing look at it like you can get more at there place than they at yours:)

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Hence your post is not valid about telling him not to use it, because it won't stop the exploit..

omg, just suggest your server owner to turn off that platinum-> iridium recipe and problem solved :D

Chagrilled

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I disagree with your statements you made when you did take my post seriously. You said that that energy is hard to come by. No, once you have a few HV/ult (even MV/hybrid and chuckloader for while you sleep) it is again, easy and infinite.

you completly and utterly missed his point:

You need mid tier to unlock any form of solar on gregtech.

also, you need iridium to make an ultimate or hybrid, and chances are you wouldn't be using compact solars with gregtech either.

Supremeone

Jul 29, 2019
Im saying its not an exployd . Gregtech changes everthing even recepies i find he should not touch like the bronze stuff that are to imporant to other mods and most of you say what he dous is fantastic so this must be intentinal and fantastic to

edit* sorry for the miss spelling posting on phone sucks :p after editing even more