Twilight Forest

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
This is why you want to go to the twilight forest:

tnLn8.jpg

I found a large hollow hill pretty quick with the magic map, and now I have enough stuff for the maze ore map. Plus a couple of stacks of diamonds, 40 levels of experience and enough lapis to pave my whole base with the stuff! :D

Once I've finished picking off the diamonds with my fortune pick I might just quarry the lot hehe. There's an enderman spawner too, I told myself I wasn't going to use portalgun but I might make an exception just this once. Re-crafting the enchanted loot the bosses drop onto diamond gear is awesome too, I'm not using IC2 tools or armour on this map so I've been making regular boss fighting trips for more enchanted stuff.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone explain me the ore map/magic map thing? What kind of object is it? How can I obtain it? How can I use? Thanks in advance ;)

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone explain me the ore map/magic map thing? What kind of object is it? How can I obtain it? How can I use? Thanks in advance ;)

The Magic Map is the handiest one, it shows you the locations of boss areas and hollow hills (big caves like the pic I posted up there), where you can find all the tastiest loot. The maze map is for navigating the various mazes, either underground ones or hedge mazes. You can upgrade it to show ores too, good for diamond hunting. They work like vanilla maps, you craft a blank one and right click with it to start drawing the map in your current position.

I've found the stripy biome as well, I don't know if you noticed but the grass colour is actually in stripes too. That's just Rei's Minimap being awesome and accurate. :)

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
You need a diamond block, gold block and iron block to upgrade it from the maze map to the maze/ore map, and then just redstone, paper and coal to reset it to a blank one again. A worthwhile investment if you've got the diamonds to spare, those ore blocks will pay themselves back in no time.

potter

Jul 29, 2019
I assume the sole purpose of that pick is what its name implies?
Currently i'm using the mining laser on low focus mode to break mazestone, though tnt could also be used.
Also, the minotaurs, anyone know their spawning mechanics? By far the most annoying mob I've encountered in TF. Not hard though, just a hassle to deal with when dozens decide to group-hug you

Kinsata

Jul 29, 2019
I assume the sole purpose of that pick is what its name implies?
Currently i'm using the mining laser on low focus mode to break mazestone, though tnt could also be used.
Also, the minotaurs, anyone know their spawning mechanics? By far the most annoying mob I've encountered in TF. Not hard though, just a hassle to deal with when dozens decide to group-hug you

It breaks the mazebricks 16x faster than other picks. Also has something like Fortune 2, efficency 4 and unbreaking 3 maybe? Super powerful pick, but it's hidden cleverly in the maze itself, so you'll have to actually break a few blocks of maze stone without it to get it.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
The mining laser probably cheats around that as you're not directly hitting the block. I'd say it's an exploit. Bringing technology to the Forest isn't something that the mod author has taken into account yet and the other mods also don't seem to honor other mods' balanced mechanics.

Kinsata

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't hitting mazestone hurt like crazy?

Mazestone is the bluish grey purplish stuff in the labyrinth, hitting it doesn't hurt you, but with any pick other than the mazebreaker, it takes twice as long as obsidian, and uses 16 times as much durability on the pick. It has super low blast resist though, so you could blast through with an explosion from TNT or creepers, but the Mazebreaker room is booby trapped and a explosive chain reaction would most certainly destroy it. So getting the mazebreaker is only really possible if you manually mine through the maze itself in the right spot.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I've had a TNT explosion going off from mining out an iron bar... which didn't seem like it was connected to any possibly BUD switch. I'm a little stumped how that happened unless it was a spider tracker that caused it. If so, maybe what you're encountering, ICountFrom0, are mobs accidentally triggering the traps early before you're properly in range.

CyborgTriceratops

Jul 29, 2019
Any suggestions for someone who will go in once they find some diamonds? Are the items in there worth using your first diamond to get into, or would a wait be better?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Twilight Forest is also resource rich, and its dungeons are pretty rewarding. Dying is a problem as in my experience had me respawn in two different locations, but setting the Minimap to automatically create Death Points helps to get back to where you were, hopefully without your stuff despawning.

Among the things you can find there is a type of magic map that can map out underground spaces for you and can be upgraded to show ore pockets as well. You can also create an Uncrafting Table, which allows you to repair things often more cheaply than the Anvil, recycle things, and even craft new tools and armor while transferring enchantments over from old tools and armor. With gold being renewable from Zombie Pigmen in the Nether and Kobolds in the Twilight Forest, you can enchant Gold tools and armor, possibly combine them on an Anvil to get the enchantments you want on one item faster, and then Recraft them into Diamond tools and armor. The Uncrafting Table's recipe is tricky to find in NEI as it's purposely a bit hidden. When you find a maze token or something called pretty similar, surround it in your crafting grid by eight crafting benches. It does cost you exp to repair and recraft enchanted gear, but the cost is linear according to the components you're replacing, if I remember correctly, compared to the Anvil raising exp costs seemingly exponentially.

Capn_Courage

Jul 29, 2019
The Twilight Forest is where I get all of my diamonds, seriously, create a magic map and look for the large hollow mounds, they are full of resources.

TheQuixote

Jul 29, 2019
Any suggestions for someone who will go in once they find some diamonds? Are the items in there worth using your first diamond to get into, or would a wait be better?
Probably the best use of your first diamond.

You will want to wait until you have iron armor and it's not a bad idea to bring a bed and a chest. Once there find the hollow hills. The big ones are very iron rich and usually have a couple of diamond nodes.

Once you get rolling get an ore map. Took one down to level 12 and in an hour I had found 140+ diamonds using a fortune 3 pick axe.