[Tutorial] Cauldron Server Setup (1.7.10)

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Hi, I'm Christophernjsp (AKA Chaka15205). I recently was looking for MCPC and I could not find it. I did some research and found that MCPC (MCPC+) Are now being developed under the name Cauldron (http://cauldron.minecraftforge.net/) So eventually after trying to figure out how to get the server to work, I decided to look for a tutorial on YouTube. With the lack of videos on setting up Cauldron I have decided to make my own tutorial.

(PS Sorry for the quietness in the beginning of the video my mic derped)

Here is a text tutorial on how to setup a Cauldron server (Windows)

1. Download The Installer Here (LINK) and rename it to installer.jar
  2. Download Spigot Patcher Here (LINK) and rename it to patcher.jar
  3. Download the patch here (LINK) and rename it to patch.bps
  4. Put these files in a folder (i.e Cauldron)
  5. Press (SHIFT+RIGHT CLICK) And select Open Command Window Here
  6. Then Type (java -jar patcher.jar installer.jar patch.bps install.jar) Then press enter
  7. When you have run that command right click on the newly generated file install.jar and open with java
  8. Select the directory that you would like to run your server from and install the server there
  9. When you have installed the server go to the directory of the server and make a new text document
  10. Inside the text document type the following
    java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar Server.jar
    PAUSE
  11. Then save the file under all file types as Start.bat
  12. Rename the cauldronserver.jar (or something like that) to Server.jar
  13. Run Start.bat and it will crash the first time.
  14. Open the file eula.txt and change (eula=false) to (eula=true)
  15. Then run Start.bat again and you should have a server
  16. Then portforward (25565) or use hamachi(Not Recomended)
There you go.

Hope this was helpful
Thanks, Christophernjsp

AeroEden

Jul 29, 2019
Nice tutorial, was gonna make something similar but I'm not a very good commentator :p

Just one thing to add is that if you wanna run plugins you also have to add the CauldronBukkit.jar or you will get this error
Code:
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bukkit/craftbukkit/v1_7_R1/util/S erverShutdownThread
You can get the jar from here (LINK) And please do not rename this jar or it won't work :)

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Nice tutorial, was gonna make something similar but I'm not a very good commentator :p

Just one thing to add is that if you wanna run plugins you also have to add the CauldronBukkit.jar or you will get this error
Code:
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bukkit/craftbukkit/v1_7_R1/util/S erverShutdownThread
You can get the jar from here (LINK) And please do not rename this jar or it won't work :)
Ahh, Forgot about that.

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
I just wanted to weigh in on this, since our community recently used Cauldron... and got rid of it.

We have been fans of MCPC+ for a really long time, however we recently stripped all of our Forge servers of any plugins and are now using mods only.

What people need to be aware of is that Bukkit is no longer being developed due to the DCMA takedowns months ago. I realize that Cauldron and Spigot are utilizing binary patches to keep their stuff up to date, but the issue is that this is only a one sided fix.
Each week that goes by, the gap of compatibility between Cauldron, Forge and plugins grows more and more. Many developers of plugins we love so much have stopped updating them for Bukkit and are simply waiting for new APIs such as Sponge to be ready so that they can move their plugins over to such new APIs, since they are actively supported and being worked on, and built against Forge, rather than an old API that can not be legally maintained anymore.

Our servers have been victim to a handful of bugs and crashes so far due such incompatibilities, some of which were so bad that we had to perform map resets. On one occasion, we had the plugin GriefPrevention corrupt our world so bad, we had to reset everything, which upset a lot of players. On another hand, Cauldron itself caused major compatibility issues between two major mods in our modpack.

After dealing with so much trouble in the last few months due to the sheer lack of support, we have decided to just get rid of Cauldron and plugins altogether, and utilize only Forge... at least until Sponge is up and running. There are plenty of alternative server-side mods that can provide barebones admin functionality that we are used to from plugins. Some examples are MyTown2 (claim protections), ForgeEssentials (yes, it's essential, for Forge), Opis (tick profiling and lag management), and Admin Command Toolbox (world border and chunk pre-generating).

So, my overall point is that if you decide to use Cauldron and plugins, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Test them out on a test server first. It will save your staff headaches and will prevent your player base from rage quitting.

Internuntius

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any other possibility Bukkit plugins to use on FTB server after it no longer exists now MCPC + and Cauldron?

If so which ones?
Because it takes so Grief protection and Co ....

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any other possibility Bukkit plugins to use on FTB server after it no longer exists now MCPC + and Cauldron?

If so which ones?
Because it takes so Grief protection and Co ....

Cauldron is still being updated through the use of binary patches. Thing is, it's only Cauldron that is being updated and not Bukkit itself. In the past, bukkit would get updates which would then be included in Cauldron updates. But, now, Cauldron is just updating their end of the code to keep it up to date with Forge. It's still only using the latest version of bukkit before the takedown.

Furthermore, since the Bukkit community kinda fell apart after the takedowns, a lot of plugin developers stopped updating. The question isn't 'is there any way to use plugins on FTB servers' but rather, the question is 'are there Forge mods that can do the same thing as plugins?' Quite simply, yes.

It is still entirely possible to use plugins on Forge (FTB) servers.... it's just not stable. That's my whole point. The developers of Cauldron are indeed doing what they can to keep it compatible with Forge, but that's purely it. Plugin developers aren't updating their plugins, and the Bukkit developers aren't updating Bukkit. The updates Cauldron is getting are just band-aid fixes so we can still use it on our latest Forge servers.

My personal recommendation, as a COMMUNITY, is to look for alternatives. It is *entirely* possible to code server-side mods that do the same thing as plugins. A very good example is ForgeEssentials. Most of us are familiar with the plugin called Essentials, which requires Cauldron to run on a Forge server. Well, ForgeEssentials is NOT a plugin - it is a mod, does not require Cauldron, and runs on any Forge server without having to add it client side. It has the same functions and commands as Essentials.
Another example is MyTown/MyTown2 - this mod OUTSHINES GriefPrevention/Towny/Factions on Forge servers. MyTown is, again, a server-side only mod, meaning you can put this mod on your Direwolf20 server, for example, without requiring your players to download it. MyTown2 allows players to create claim protections in the same way GriefPrevention or Towny does. However, UNLIKE Towny or GriefPrevention, MyTown protects against IC2 nukes, BC quarries, and much more.

People need to start embracing this idea that server-side mods are far superior to any plugin out there because such mods can be developed against the SAME Forge code that, you guessed it, other mods are developed against. Bukkit was meant for Vanilla Minecraft, not modded Minecraft, which is why plugins like GriefPrevention are far from perfect on Forge servers. It's also, why I feel, that a lot of Forge servers are whitelisted - because they haven't learned how to properly protect against griefers by utilizing mods instead of plugins in their admin toolboxes.

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
well. for anyone still trying to figure cauldron out. Don't. Blood stopped developing cauldron . and removed all download links. again.

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
not sure what this have to do with cauldron. but for wilderness permissions use: /ta perm wild[:n]

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
well. for anyone still trying to figure cauldron out. Don't. Blood stopped developing cauldron . and removed all download links. again.

Wow. I had no idea this happened. But it doesn't surprise me.

As for MyTown2, I want to spotlight it with how to's for the mod community. It will benefit everyone if we just stopped using plugins. At this point, we have two choices. 1 - wait for Sponge and use that API. 2 - just code server side mods. Either one works. Only difference, as I understand it, is that writing server side Forge mods obviously requires Forge, whereas Sponge plugins wont need anything on behalf of the client. And before anyone asks, at the time of this post, Sponge is not ready yet and there are no Sponge plugins. All we have right now are Forge server side mods like MyTown, Admin Command Toolbox, etc.

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
probably would be a good idea to make a separate thread with a list of mods for server admins. protection, permissions. etc , they may be mods out there that people don't know about