Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jadzi

Jul 29, 2019
So 2.2.4 added Pollens for each of the forestry tree breeds. How are these naturally obtained, and how are they supposed to be used?

CenturionArcher

Jul 29, 2019
The pollens are gathered by using the sieve on an Alveary. The sieve takes one woven silk and will collect pollen that bees gather from nearby tress. It holds up to four pollen and the woven silk is destroyed when the pollen is removed.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Well that's nice but it still doesn't alter the fact that talking about tree breeding that's from a different version just confuses the heck out of things. There are enough changes to trees and bees in 1.5 to warrant a separate thread and keep this thread for what it was intended : 1.4.7 tree breeding.

The game marches on and doesn't stop just because you don't update, and I fail to see a version number in the thread title. Threads like this exist because information is too new to be existent easily on the web - which is why after a bit the thread died until 1.5 added more trees. Information for 1.4.7 is widely available now.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I know he created this thread, but that doesn't give him moderator powers over the creation of other threads. Some people think that it's a good idea to make a new thread for the new version of Forestry. I agree, since I'm on the 1.4.7 version and don't intend to update for a good while yet, but other people are using the 1.5.x versions already and want the new info, and I happen to think that a separate thread would avoid confusion, as anyone coming fresh to this thread will have 9 pages of old information to wade through before they get to the discussion on the new version.

Reactions: baw179

Varrant

Jul 29, 2019
Thin you'll just have to give it time. Oh and remember to keep that chunk loaded.

Which flower type do they need? Remember that not all types can pollinate trees. Cacti or Lily Pads for example won't work.

Chunk is loaded 24/7.
Pollination does occur but results are (by this day for example) oak + birch hybrids and hill cherries. STACKS OF THEM. And still 0 willow.
Bees are using mushrooms.

--EDIT--

Today I tested in Redwood Biome and still nothing, here are screens:

This was setup, all pollinated leaves (well... 90% of them) were cuted.
setupts.png

Apiaries after all workand temp/humid screen (queen and 64 drones)
apiaries.png

Results... Some Apple Oak, Silver lime x Apple Oak hybrids ans cherry :/ AGAIN no willow

resultds.png

I don't know what to do now... What more should I do to get Willow?

fieldhof

Jul 29, 2019
Put the silver lime - apple oak hybrids next to some apple oak and try to get a pure silver lime.
Once you get the pure silver lime put them next to the birch and oak trees.
The combinations i've seen to get the wilow tree are:

Oak + Birch
Oak + Silver Lime
Birch + Silver lime

Try to get as far away (Like 10 chunks) as possible until you unload the chunk and then get back.
In our server the view distance was set to 10. The actual place can be chunkloaded with a chunkloader.
In my experience when I get back there are always more mutations then when you stand there and wait.
A good way to do this is to use the portal gun.

Good Luck

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I know he created this thread, but that doesn't give him moderator powers over the creation of other threads. Some people think that it's a good idea to make a new thread for the new version of Forestry. I agree, since I'm on the 1.4.7 version and don't intend to update for a good while yet, but other people are using the 1.5.x versions already and want the new info, and I happen to think that a separate thread would avoid confusion, as anyone coming fresh to this thread will have 9 pages of old information to wade through before they get to the discussion on the new version.
All that is important is the first post... I can't believe how many people really don't understand how discussion boards for guides work...

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, since I'm on the 1.4.7 version and don't intend to update for a good while yet, but other people are using the 1.5.x versions already and want the new info, and I happen to think that a separate thread would avoid confusion, as anyone coming fresh to this thread will have 9 pages of old information to wade through before they get to the discussion on the new version.

So make an explicitly 1.4.7 thread. Nobody is stopping you. This, however, isn't one.

Reactions: Daemonblue

Varrant

Jul 29, 2019
Put the silver lime - apple oak hybrids next to some apple oak and try to get a pure silver lime.
Once you get the pure silver lime put them next to the birch and oak trees.
The combinations i've seen to get the wilow tree are

Try to get as far away (Like 10 chunks) as possible until you unload the chunk and then get back.
In our server the view distance was set to 10. The actual place can be chunkloaded with a chunkloader.
In my experience when I get back there are always more mutations then when you stand there and wait.
A good way to do this is to use the portal gun.

Good Luck

Well thanks... Who doesn't know that...
I have pure Oak, Birch and Lime - they have lot's of pollinated leaves after few hours - but another day and still 0 willow. Like it woudn't exist! Could it be some kind of bug? I tried even Industrious Bees (of course in damp region T.T) and still nothing.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
So make an explicitly 1.4.7 thread. Nobody is stopping you. This, however, isn't one.
a) I don't know anything about tree breeding so I would not attempt to create a guide thread
b) There already is a 1.4.7 guide thread, this one, and a new 1.4.7 thread would not replace it in the collected guides
c) I'm expressing an opinion that the most useful course of action would be to create a new 1.5.x thread so why would I want to do something different?

And, alright I'll admit it, I'm also bristling at the OP's "deal with it" attitude. Not helpful.

Reactions: baw179

Kik

Jul 29, 2019
Varrant? I got a Willow tree sappling in about 8 hours of play time from that combination, Lime, Birch, Oak in a Mini Jungle Biome.
Sipiri's the one I haven't had any luck with yet with another week of regular play :/.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Well thanks... Who doesn't know that...
I have pure Oak, Birch and Lime - they have lot's of pollinated leaves after few hours - but another day and still 0 willow. Like it woudn't exist! Could it be some kind of bug? I tried even Industrious Bees (of course in damp region T.T) and still nothing.
It's one of the rarest trees that I have gotten. I've only gotten one through actual tree breeding and I made sure to graft all the leaves so that I made sure I had lots of backup saplings.
Just stay at the breeding and have as many trees as possible to increase the chances. At least the willow is a single sapling tree.

a) I don't know anything about tree breeding so I would not attempt to create a guide thread
b) There already is a 1.4.7 guide thread, this one, and a new 1.4.7 thread would not replace it in the collected guides
c) I'm expressing an opinion that the most useful course of action would be to create a new 1.5.x thread so why would I want to do something different?

And, alright I'll admit it, I'm also bristling at the OP's "deal with it" attitude. Not helpful.

I'm sorry but there is no such thing as a 1.4.7 guide thread, not in the collection of guides nor here. The information collected in this thread is about tree breeding and everything about tree breeding past, present, and future. As the thread starter that is where I stand I'm not making a new thread and I will be updating the guide to the best of my knowledge when forestry is updated in FTB land. If the content of the thread confuses you so much then don't use it no one is making you.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Why does posting an opinion on how something different might be better inevitably elicit a "don't use it then" response? I'm quite happy to continue using things that aren't in my opinion perfect, but I reserve the right to contribute to the discussion on how things should be done. I can "deal with it", as you so delicately put it.

Varrant

Jul 29, 2019
Varrant? I got a Willow tree sappling in about 8 hours of play time from that combination, Lime, Birch, Oak in a Mini Jungle Biome.
Sipiri's the one I haven't had any luck with yet with another week of regular play :/.

It's one of the rarest trees that I have gotten. I've only gotten one through actual tree breeding and I made sure to graft all the leaves so that I made sure I had lots of backup saplings.
Just stay at the breeding and have as many trees as possible to increase the chances. At least the willow is a single sapling tree.

Can I ask what modpack were you using?
Well... it's my 3rd week of trying to get willow...

Kik

Jul 29, 2019
Not on FTB at the moment as my server gang went Tekkit for MC 1.5.x (eeps >_<, bit of a trator feeling posting that)
but I can tell you we're running Forestry-A-2.2.0.2, ExtrabiomesXL-universal-1.5.1-3.13.0, and Extra-bees-1.6-pre6
sorry if that causes false hope, I don't know in which versions of the mods the trees became properly available :(

only other idea I can contribute is checking that your bees use flowers that actually pollinate the wanted trees
from FTB wiki info I got :
All Trees End, Flowers, Jungle, Mushroom, Wheat
No Trees Books, Lily Pad, Magic Flowers, Nether, None, Reeds, Rock
Certain Trees Cacti (Acacia & Baobab only)
I've got pure Marshy pair, and pure Diligent pair cycling nearby

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Can I ask what modpack were you using?
Well... it's my 3rd week of trying to get willow...
Ultimate 1.0.1, 1.0.2, or 1.1.0 I didn't harvest the leaves until I upgraded to 1.1.0.
Just like with everything ftb related if what you have doesn't work fast enough make it bigger lol.