Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General FTB chat' started by Quesenek, Jan 16, 2013.

1. chaselazerfish

chaselazerfish New Member

So What tree name is it then?
  2. ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0 Well-Known Member

Go ahead and test in creative, plant a Kapok and see what the wood is called.
  3. chaselazerfish

chaselazerfish New Member

Its called Kapok Wood
  4. FatalLozenge

FatalLozenge New Member

So after a about 100 non-ebony saplings, I was finally able to get the 9 (!) needed. Now working on the yellow meranti, having the same issue where it has been running a long time, but I am not seeing any sports.

I did what was suggested by Kocyk, and it works, thanks. I was even growing the Kapok trees out of 4 deep holes to shorten them, but maybe I need to go even lower...
  5. baw179

baw179 Member

I've got meranti a few hours ago. I raised my 4 apiaries 2 blocks above ground and dug down 1 block for the kapok and planted the saps in the hole. No problems with them mutating. I got really lucky as the first mutated leaf was a meranti! Win!

Does anyone know if the number of "flowers" planted has any effect on the mutation speed or is it all down the pollination trait on the bees? I don't particularly like having my ground littered with flowers and I was thinking of paving it and just giving each of my industrious bees a single flower to work with. Would that still be as effective?
  6. ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0 Well-Known Member

okay, then I'm a fool.
    Ebony eh? Duh. Don't mind me, I'll be in a corner with a dunce hat.
  7. MilConDoin

MilConDoin The Bee-Whisperer

The number of flowers is irrelevant, as long as at least one is available.
    baw179 likes this.
  8. baw179

baw179 Member

Thanks Mil. I actually got creeper'd earlier because he was too well camouflaged in the mass of flowers. o_O
  9. Varrant

Varrant New Member

I have a problem on getting willow:

Tried on swamps (80% temp 90% humidity) with birch and lime, oak and birch (later I've added some limes) and after a whole day i have'nt got any luck.
    Also I tried the same in jungle (120% temp 90% humidity)... still no willow...

Wondering if it''s a bug or what @.@

Playing on FTB Ultimate Server with 2.0.0.11 Forestry. Any ideas ehat I could try?

I have all trees beside willow and sipiri - and I have the same problem with both.
  10. NJM1564

NJM1564 Active Member

Did you remember the bees? Specifically ones that'll work in those environments. Marshy bees for the swamp. For instance.
  11. Oatmonster

Oatmonster Active Member

Just a tip, the bees and the trees you are trying to breed don't have to both be in the swamp/jungle biome; in case you don't have any tropical bees.
  12. Varrant

Varrant New Member

Of course I have...
    6 Apiaries with 6 Fungal bees (modified to pollinate faster) - they are working fine and they are automated...
  13. Golrith

Golrith Well-Known Member

In my first world, using DW20 pack, I managed to get willows straight away. Normal bees, in a EXBL birch forest biome.
  14. NJM1564

NJM1564 Active Member

Thin you'll just have to give it time. Oh and remember to keep that chunk loaded.
  15. MilConDoin

MilConDoin The Bee-Whisperer

Which flower type do they need? Remember that not all types can pollinate trees. Cacti or Lily Pads for example won't work.
  16. fieldhof

fieldhof New Member

After getting three pure rural princesses and drones with pollination Faster our goal was to get a Mahoe tree.

Show Spoiler

lime = birch + oak
    teak = lime + jungle
    balsa = teak + lime
    acacia = teak + balsa
    mahoe = birch + acacia

The balsa tree we bought from a tree villager.
    When we finally got the mahoe tree we saw that the maturing was slower and the saplings were lowest, so we decided to crossbreed the mahoe tree with oak trees and we got to saplings normal and matures faster. Then we decided that we needed more saplings so we crossbred the new mahoe tree with a balsa tree. And after a long time we got this mahoe tree:
    • Species - Mahoe
    • Saplings - High
    • Matures - Faster
    • Height - Low
    • Girth - 1x1
    • Yield - Lowest
    • Sappiness - High
    • Supports - Nuts/Prunes/Pomes
    We now want the fastest maturing and the highest amount of saplings, but we can't find a tree that has these properties. Any suggestions?
  17. baw179

baw179 Member

What the heck is a Mahoe tree? No such tree according to the wiki.
  18. fieldhof

fieldhof New Member

19. baw179

baw179 Member

May I suggest that a fresh thread is started for 1.5 tree breeding to avoid confusion here.
  20. Quesenek

Quesenek Active Member

When ftb updates to 1.5 im going to simply add the trees/pollen needed to be mixed together. The same breeding mixes should apply for the current trees still all i'll have to do is find the info for the new trees and add it to the list. If you are doing the tree breeding the correct way IE: large forests and/or pollinating the trees manually with the correct pollen and always using the grafter the percentage really doesn't matter.
    What I will also do once the FTB updates to 1.5 is add all of the default stats for every tree since you will be able to use various stats to enhance other trees and it would be nice to be able to see which ones have the stats you want by default.