Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently trying to get a Baobab (Forestry 2.0.0.11)
The only leaves I see mutating are the Balsa leves. The Wenge ones stay the same. Is it possible, that mutated wenge leaves look exactly like their normal counterparts? It seems a bit strange, that only the Balsa leaves would mutate.

Varrant

Jul 29, 2019

Answer:
I had the same problem - and I don't remember if it pollinated a single bit of Wenge... But finally i got it from pollinated balsa leaves. - Just plant more balsa.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
The only leaves I see mutating are the Balsa leves. The Wenge ones stay the same. Is it possible, that mutated wenge leaves look exactly like their normal counterparts? It seems a bit strange, that only the Balsa leaves would mutate.
What TP are you using? In the vanilla texture pack I believe that every leaf mutation is a different color than the standard leaf color.
Like I said in a previous post some trees I have found to mutate slower than others at times.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
All I can say is I'm glad that I have TC3. The Thaumium Grafter is a serious time and resource saver. Trying to get sequioas (2 out of 9 saplings to date for my tree), and the amount of bronze that would have been wasted would be shocking and honestly hardly worth the effort.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
What TP are you using? In the vanilla texture pack I believe that every leaf mutation is a different color than the standard leaf color.
Like I said in a previous post some trees I have found to mutate slower than others at times.
No texture pack. I used a grafter to remove at random ~40 leaves of the Wenge: None had mutated. So either I just didn't find mutated leaves, or the Wenge leaves simply didn't mutate.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
No texture pack. I used a grafter to remove at random ~40 leaves of the Wenge: None had mutated. So either I just didn't find mutated leaves, or the Wenge leaves simply didn't mutate.

Mil, that's exactly what happened with me as well and that combo weren't the only ones either. There were a couple of other combos in the breeding chain that only had mutated leaves on one of the species - rather strange. With the wenge and balsa I actually ran out of leaves on the balsas and had to plant some fresh ones in order to get enough baobobs.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Complaining helps... Today I saw the first mutated wenge leaves :)
I changed nothing to the days before.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Has anyone got a link to pictures of all the Forestry tree types? Or, stats for them such as height range and branching statistics? I want to know what is the tallest 1x1 tree with no side branches.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone got a link to pictures of all the Forestry tree types? Or, stats for them such as height range and branching statistics? I want to know what is the tallest 1x1 tree with no side branches.

Balsa or Kapok, but the tallest 1x1 tree possible is one you breed yourself and mix traits.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Dammit! Forestry trees do not drop any saplings when the leaves are broken by a Block Breaker! I just re-built my RP2 frame tree harvester to work with a Kapok tree and I'm getting no saplings at all from it! Seems it has the same problem with Sickles as well. I guess the sapling drop mechanic is different in order to cope with the different drop rates for Forestry trees.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Dammit! Forestry trees do not drop any saplings when the leaves are broken by a Block Breaker! I just re-built my RP2 frame tree harvester to work with a Kapok tree and I'm getting no saplings at all from it! Seems it has the same problem with Sickles as well. I guess the sapling drop mechanic is different in order to cope with the different drop rates for Forestry trees.
It is also incompatible with TreeCapitator.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

What about something with a deployer.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019

What are you wanting the saps for, Phil? May I suggest a thaumium grafter with repair II enchant on it?

Oatmonster

Jul 29, 2019
PhilHibbs said:
Can any tree type have the tallest trait, or would a Balsa or Kapok be the best type to breed a tall tree from because it's the tallest base tree?

Sequoias are the tallest base trees.

teser

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any information somewhere on the best possible tree or hybrid tree to maximize fruit juice / mulch / saplings? (for 1.5.2)

Dultas

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having trouble breeding the Sipiri it's the only tree I haven't bread yet. My question is do the trees / leaves need to be in the tropical biome or the apiary itself? I have my apiary in an extreme hill edge biome so my fast pollinating bees can be used and the trees are in a tropical biome next to it. I've check the distances and the leave are in range and getting pollinated but I've harvested about 30+ saplings and none of the sipiri, am I just having bad luck or is the biome check based on the apiary?

Dultas

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having trouble breeding the Sipiri it's the only tree I haven't bread yet. My question is do the trees / leaves need to be in the tropical biome or the apiary itself? I have my apiary in an extreme hill edge biome so my fast pollinating bees can be used and the trees are in a tropical biome next to it. I've check the distances and the leave are in range and getting pollinated but I've harvested about 30+ saplings and none of the sipiri, am I just having bad luck or is the biome check based on the apiary?

Apparently a run of bad luck, got 3 Sipiri out of the last 4 blocks.

The_Creamster

Jul 29, 2019
Those that have discovered the breeding combinations of any of the 8 new tree species, could you please post the breeding combination, it would be a great help as i'm about to get started on tree breeding again and knowing some or all the combinations would be appreciated.