Totemic Discussion: Magical Totems

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019

For downloads and more infomation, check the MCF page ;)
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2367915-forge-totemic-magical-totem-poles/

If you need to know anything, grab me on irc at #totemic, @Pokefenn on twitter or on this thread.

(The incredible logo is done by Mr BigBadChris, go thank him !
clear.png
)

Umm yeah, this is a suggestion/discussion thread!

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
ooh god, that image alone is already worth downloading the mod...
though it sounds a bit like @Vazkii new mod called Botania with the plant essence

I'd rather change quartz block totem to a hopper totem, if you find that fitting. as I don't really see the connection between quartz and picking items up...
how about also have some sort of bonemealing totem, perhaps with different effects. one could speed up growth, the other could cause plants and flowers to grow nearby, another would make animals/villagers mature faster or another that would boost nearby furnaces and machines, if you're considering mod support
you could also have a totem that'll make nearby entities breed (perhaps make it funny and actually have zombies be able to breed aswell :p )

for the cactus totem, how about having it a bit different, perhaps 2 kinds of totems. one kills nearby entities for experience, and the other totem kills nearby entities for their loot.
with that you could have another totem that absorbs the experience and does something special with it (maybe another type of essence) and the totem that kills entities for their loot could have a tier 2, which will make the totem kill entities as if they were killed by a player.

if these ideas are not relevant to the mod, you can ignore them if you want...

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
ooh god, that image alone is already worth downloading the mod...
though it sounds a bit like @Vazkii new mod called Botania with the plant essence

I'd rather change quartz block totem to a hopper totem, if you find that fitting. as I don't really see the connection between quartz and picking items up...
how about also have some sort of bonemealing totem, perhaps with different effects. one could speed up growth, the other could cause plants and flowers to grow nearby, another would make animals/villagers mature faster or another that would boost nearby furnaces and machines, if you're considering mod support
you could also have a totem that'll make nearby entities breed (perhaps make it funny and actually have zombies be able to breed aswell :p )

for the cactus totem, how about having it a bit different, perhaps 2 kinds of totems. one kills nearby entities for experience, and the other totem kills nearby entities for their loot.
with that you could have another totem that absorbs the experience and does something special with it (maybe another type of essence) and the totem that kills entities for their loot could have a tier 2, which will make the totem kill entities as if they were killed by a player.

if these ideas are not relevant to the mod, you can ignore them if you want...

Hehe, I was really afraid when Vazkii started talking about botania, since the mods do have similarities :)

Quartz was more or less for a lack of better thingy, it was meant to have to do with magnatism... A hopper is a better fit, I'll change that soon :)
Bonemeal totems was kinda a design decision which i decided to stay away from, the totem of draining drains the life of nearby plants, the bonemeal totem would need to be so weak that it would be redudant (Forgot to link this video
)
Breeding animals straight away is kinda boring :/ I think things like that should be more complicated setups.
I forgot to mention one feature of totemic, there is a painting mechanic, all totems will be able to be painted, this changes their effects slightly or reverses them (For example, a black totem of sun will make it rain) the cactus will fall into that section once I get that done.
Tiers are another thing I try to stay against, things can be more fun as big setups which tiers and upgrades can ruin, just a random game design decision :p

All ideas like this are good, thanks :3

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I can understand you're trying to stay away from certain areas, and I'm completely for it.
I just suggested some of the basic things done in modded minecraft.

seeing as this mod is centered around blocks that you place down that have an AoE, I kind of tried to come up with suggestions that'd want to make you use it, so the more versatile it is, the better, atleast that was what I was thinking. here's another idea, instead of having an automatic way of breeding entities, how about having a way to actually absorb life from entities? any entity near that totem, would slowly lose their life force, meaning instead of growing older, they actually get younger, till they're so young that they become non-exsistent, in a way you'd be sucking their life force away.

this would be a helpful totem near a spawner, and it could offer you some sort of resource that you could use for another totem or mechanic.
and a very boring suggestion, but something I always want to see, how about a teleport totem? ;) it's a totem you can place down, and it'll note down the location is placed. you could then chisel of a part of the totem and carry with you, and whenever you want to return to the totem you could use that chiseled of piece to return. to make it a bit more interesting you could have it so you can only chisel so many blocks from the totem, and when you teleport using the chiseled piece, it'll disappear after having been used.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
Totem ideas;

Creeper totem - slowly mines out a 5 x 5 area directly beneath the totem (use with the magnet totem?)
Wheat totem - pulses a bonemeal effect to a 5 x5 area surrounding it.
Pick totem - Gives the mining speed boost
Squid totem - water breathing
Ender Totem - acts like a Magnum torch for XX distance
Lamp/Torch totem - illuminates a 5 x 5 area

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I can understand you're trying to stay away from certain areas, and I'm completely for it.
I just suggested some of the basic things done in modded minecraft.

seeing as this mod is centered around blocks that you place down that have an AoE, I kind of tried to come up with suggestions that'd want to make you use it, so the more versatile it is, the better, atleast that was what I was thinking. here's another idea, instead of having an automatic way of breeding entities, how about having a way to actually absorb life from entities? any entity near that totem, would slowly lose their life force, meaning instead of growing older, they actually get younger, till they're so young that they become non-exsistent, in a way you'd be sucking their life force away.

this would be a helpful totem near a spawner, and it could offer you some sort of resource that you could use for another totem or mechanic.
and a very boring suggestion, but something I always want to see, how about a teleport totem? ;) it's a totem you can place down, and it'll note down the location is placed. you could then chisel of a part of the totem and carry with you, and whenever you want to return to the totem you could use that chiseled of piece to return. to make it a bit more interesting you could have it so you can only chisel so many blocks from the totem, and when you teleport using the chiseled piece, it'll disappear after having been used.

Absorbing life from entities is kinda a 'touchy' subject, and generally something that is best to stay away from it... I was talking to WayofTime awhile ago about maybe something like bloody chlorophyll crystals, which would run on blood magic LP, so you may be able to get power from mobs ;)
A lot of totemic designs are made to work with spawners, the cactus was made for that, so was the magnet one. And the ocelot one was made so that Light mages from AM2 woudnt attack creepers and blow up your setup :<
Weird thing, but i actually had a dream about a teleportation totem that was sorta like that, its planned, but in the future (teleportation is a pain to code <,< )[DOUBLEPOST=1390849275][/DOUBLEPOST]
Totem ideas;

Creeper totem - slowly mines out a 5 x 5 area directly beneath the totem (use with the magnet totem?)
Wheat totem - pulses a bonemeal effect to a 5 x5 area surrounding it.
Pick totem - Gives the mining speed boost
Squid totem - water breathing
Ender Totem - acts like a Magnum torch for XX distance
Lamp/Torch totem - illuminates a 5 x 5 area

A mining totem was designed a bit ago, just another thing i forgot to talk about :) i also looked at the basics of coding it.
As i said above with the bone meal thing, it causes complication with game design.
Mining boosts are cool, you can never have enough totems, so maybe in the the future.
Water breathing is a cool thing which not enough things add, ill code that in now.
Maybe in the future, can be a derpy thing to code and get perfect.
Again, maybe in the future. There is no true good way to light up a big area, things like AM2, Factorization and Thaumcraft always have problems with it.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
Totally missed the comment above on bonemeal. My fault there.

I would love synergy between blood magic and this totem idea....would be very cool (and on a personal note, I love when modders work with each other to create special functionality between mods).

Reactions: Pokefenn

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
It would be, if I had any ideas xD
Feel free to suggest any, I can't think of any that aren't horrible to code :p

Maybe something that would give you more control over the negative affects of them? Like surrounding it with silverwood totems that would suppress the spawning of furious zombies or alternatively surrounding it with more obsidian totems to boost the spawning rate.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh, or how about a totem that would act as a sort of wisp magnet so you can kill the annoying little buggers more easily instead of having to fly around chasing them.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
I love how this sounds but so it seems like light (good) magic at the moment. When I hear the word totem without pole, I think of old mysticism and fetish objects (not sex, this). This generally ties into what people think of as dark magic and protective magic as there are protective charms and curses associated with different kinds of totems. So it would in theory fit the theme to delve into the darker arts. Being able to curse players would be nice, but in traditional hex magic it requires either something belonging to the person or some part of them (blood, hair, etc.) which might be hard to code in. Then there would be charms to protect against curses which are generally esay to make (carved wood), but you might want to make so people can only equip 1 kind of protective totem at a time and make higher tiers that protect against more.

I'll elaborate more on this later if anyone is interested.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I love how this sounds but so it seems like light (good) magic at the moment. When I hear the word totem without pole, I think of old mysticism and fetish objects (not sex, this). This generally ties into what people think of as dark magic and protective magic as there are protective charms and curses associated with different kinds of totems. So it would in theory fit the theme to delve into the darker arts. Being able to curse players would be nice, but in traditional hex magic it requires either something belonging to the person or some part of them (blood, hair, etc.) which might be hard to code in. Then there would be charms to protect against curses which are generally esay to make (carved wood), but you might want to make so people can only equip 1 kind of protective totem at a time and make higher tiers that protect against more.

I'll elaborate more on this later if anyone is interested.
It is actually totem poles :p
I'm gonna be reworking the totems to be a multiblock totem pole... once i stop being so lazy >.>