Tinker's Contruct Info

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, yeah, that explains why it wasn't exactly x3! I wonder why to go to the trouble of making =Floor(Dur/3)*9 rather than just do Dur*3? I mean, the numbers will only sometimes be marginally more even...
But thanks for pointing that out, I'll try to look at some of the other and try to calculate how it's done.

Is there any reason for the mattoch to be dur+dur*3*.25 rather than dur+dur*.75? Am I missing something?

EDIT: Trying to figure out things but it seriously seems to be different systems on everything, or I'm just blind. But I'm not that smart when it comes to math so may very well be that. Very well. Here are the results:

Lumber Axe: The end result seems to be around (HeadDur+PlateDur)*2.8, but not exactly 2.8. I assume there's something similar with the flooring but have no idea what.
Battleaxe and Cleaver: Seems to be the same (Dur+Dur)*2.8 as the Lumber Axe.

Excavator: The end result seems to be around (HeadDur+PlateDur)*3, but the formula is not the same as for the hammer. In fact, using a a cactus head and plate, which both have 150 durability, did not give 900 dur as one might expect if the deviation from dur+dur*3 was due to rounding; instead it has 928 durability which is quite an odd number for adding up so even numbers.

Scythe: Seems to be exactly Dur*6. But it only has one head part so.

Reactions: NightB1ade

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
How can I find out what my tool is made of? I'm pretty sure I have a flint shovel, obsidian axe, and copper rapier because I can repair them with those, but I'd quite like to check what rods and bindings I used.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
How can I find out what my tool is made of? I'm pretty sure I have a flint shovel, obsidian axe, and copper rapier because I can repair them with those, but I'd quite like to check what rods and bindings I used.
Other than calculating it backwards which would be really obnoxious, you only have visual clues. If you look at the color you might be able to peg down one or a few materials it could be and calculate which?
Post a picture otherwise and maybe we know?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019

If you place them in the tool station or tool forge, it will show you what the current tool abilities are. Since several of the rods and such have their own effects, you can kinda figure out what materials you put in a tool. If you haven't added moss to it, you can just look at the tool. The colors will match the pieces in NEI or the TiC books.

Oreberry Bushes

As far as other TiC item information, oreberry bushes will only spawn in a "cave". This can sometime cause the bushes to spawn above ground if the sky is obstructed. they now damage entities in all stages of growth. The speed at which oreberry bushes grow is based on darkness. The darker the room, the faster they grow and produce berries. They cannot be planted in light level 12 or above (next to a torch, but 2 away is fine.) I'm not sure if oreberry bushes will damage golems. I built my room to prevent damage.

Oreberries can be smelted into nuggets of the corresponding type. The nuggets do give experience when smelted. Essence berries cannot be smelted, but can be consumed for XP.

Oreberry bushes can often be found bordering lava inside a cave system.

Oreberry bushes do not spread like the Natura bushes do.

You can trade for oreberry bushes using the TiC villagers.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
As I recall, that's the official line. Putting 1 piece of lapis on a tool will give it the chance to get Fortune/Looting to the next level, but the chance increases for each piece. Geting it to the next 150 mark it forces a "level up". Note, that the chance only applies where the enchantment would be called (i.e. if you mine coal, rather than stone)

Here's how Lapis works in tools. If you stick a single piece of Lapis to get Luck, while you use the tool it will gain more points towards lapis and give fortune and luck. It does this regardless of the materials mined, so you can get from 1 lapis on a tool, to 450 lapis with fortune and looting 3 just from mining stone. All of that from a single lapis as your initial input.

Now, that said, it takes a very, very long time to build up fortune and looting 3 from a single lapis and lots of mining, but it is possible. Last time I did it I got to around 330 lapis for fortune/looting 3 on a hammer and it took at least 8 hours of nothing but mining (even longer if you add in all the moving in and out because of bag space, torches, food, etc.). Basically, feasible, but not really worth it outside of the looting since you can get fortune in many other ways that won't take as long - either through vanilla enchanting, enchanting+ (guarantee's fortune 3) or via using MFR's block crusher and some mob essence. Personally, I think the block crusher would be the way to go long term since you can use a silk touch tool to get the good stuff and save space in your bags.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I went for Zero to Hero on a hammer, excvator, and pick just by clearing a 16x16 area to bedrock I needed for a build. I think it was something like 2-3 hours of work. Also my sycth went from zero to hero crazy fast just make clearing leaves while doing a little manual tree farming

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I haven't read any of the thread aside from the OP, but this is basically how I understand it:

== Tier 1 Tools (Pickaxes, Shovels, etc.)
- Tool rod determines the Dura Modifier
- Thing in the middle (usually binding or sword handle) does nothing (aside from add modifiers)
- Main thing (Pickaxe head, shovel head, etc.) determines everything else (damage, speed, mining level, what you can repair it with, etc.)
- Everything attributes to the abilities (Stonebound, Jagged, etc.)

== Tier 2 Tools (Hammers, Excavators, etc.)
- Everything with material cost 8 is averaged together and determines the Mining Speed, Attack Damage, and Base Dura
- Everything with material cost 3 (Yes, that includes tough bindings) determines the Dura Modifier
- Everything attributes to the abilites (Reinforced, Thaumic, etc.)
- Main thing (Hammer head, excavator head, etc.) determines the Mining Level and what you can repair it with

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Fun fact I discovered about Necrotic bones, they don't "steal" HP. It's only a 0-1 heart heal when you hit something and it doesn't scale with your damage either. It does stack and with more bones the odds of getting healed are higher of course, but still for something that's so hard to obtain I think it's seriously lacking.
You're better off just adding Quartz so you can kill stuff faster and thus won't need the HP regen. I mean needing 4 attacks to kill a skeleton while healing on every hit isn't really better than killing a skeleton in 1 hit without any healing from hitting him.

If you want modifier slots start with 1 Thaumium part and use paper to get the rest. Thaumium acts the same way as paper, except it only gives 1 modifier slot no matter how many per 2 Thaumium parts your tool has (so with 1 Thaumium part you gain +1 modifier, with 2 parts you still have +1 modifier, with 3 parts you'll get +2 modifiers, etc.).

Another interesting thing I noticed, the extra damage you gain from Jagged doesn't pierce armor, even if you have it on a Rapier.

Cobalt adds more mining speed than paper + redstone, so on a Hammer you want Cobalt plates if maximum mining speed is your goal.
Thaumium/Paper + Quartz is roughly on par with Manyullyn for damage on weapons. So if lack of durability is no problem, you have plenty of quartz to spare and you have a hard time getting Manyullyn you can still get weapons that deal as much damage as really high end ones.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Once we're into 1.7 or whenever it is they'll make 1 heart = 1 hunger bar, the healing effect will make pig farms doubly useful :3

NightB1ade

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, yeah, that explains why it wasn't exactly x3! I wonder why to go to the trouble of making =Floor(Dur/3)*9 rather than just do Dur*3? I mean, the numbers will only sometimes be marginally more even...

I wonder if mDiyo was going for the average of the parts ( / 3) then the hammer takes out 3x3 blocks per use so therefore ( * 9).

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Once we're into 1.7 or whenever it is they'll make 1 heart = 1 hunger bar, the healing effect will make pig farms doubly useful :3
Wait, they're going to change the food and health regen system again? I didn't know that. Well that could change things of course once 1.7 comes along, until then I'm sticking with "Necro bones are useless" though.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if mDiyo was going for the average of the parts ( / 3) then the hammer takes out 3x3 blocks per use so therefore ( * 9).
Ah, that could be it... But it seems weird to multiply it like that. Especially if the others don't follow the same formula (especially the excavator and scythe which do the same). I mean, if you want complex and precise formulas you should probably use the same (or a related) for all purposes, and if not then you might as well just eyeball the formula to a neighborhood that feels reasonable?

Wait, they're going to change the food and health regen system again? I didn't know that. Well that could change things of course once 1.7 comes along, until then I'm sticking with "Necro bones are useless" though.
Apparently it's already in 1.6!

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Fun fact I discovered about Necrotic bones, they don't "steal" HP. It's only a 0-1 heart heal when you hit something and it doesn't scale with your damage either. It does stack and with more bones the odds of getting healed are higher of course, but still for something that's so hard to obtain I think it's seriously lacking.
You're better off just adding Quartz so you can kill stuff faster and thus won't need the HP regen. I mean needing 4 attacks to kill a skeleton while healing on every hit isn't really better than killing a skeleton in 1 hit without any healing from hitting him.

If you want modifier slots start with 1 Thaumium part and use paper to get the rest. Thaumium acts the same way as paper, except it only gives 1 modifier slot no matter how many Thaumium parts your tool has.

Another interesting thing I noticed, the extra damage you gain from Jagged doesn't pierce armor, even if you have it on a Rapier.

Cobalt adds more mining speed than paper + redstone, so on a Hammer you want Cobalt plates if maximum mining speed is your goal.
Thaumium/Paper + Quartz is roughly on par with Manyullyn for damage on weapons. So if lack of durability is no problem, you have plenty of quartz to spare and you have a hard time getting Manyullyn you can still get weapons that deal as much damage as really high end ones.

The necrotic bone's main purpose (or atleast for mDiyo) is to heal because he mostly plays with health regeneration off. Thaumium actually works like this:

Amount : 12345678 etc.
Modifiers:11223344 etc.

It increments, it just takes twice as much thaumium.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
The necrotic bone's main purpose (or atleast for mDiyo) is to heal because he mostly plays with health regeneration off. Thaumium actually works like this:

Amount : 12345678 etc.
Modifiers:11223344 etc.

It increments, it just takes twice as much thaumium.

Oh yeah, I can see how it's useful with health regen off.
Interesting about Thaumium, though it still remains true if you want as many modifier slots as possible that you want 1 Thaumium part and the rest paper. I'll edit my previous post to avoid misinforming other people though ;)

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
MDiyo himself has stated that what isn't in the books is for you to discover

That's all fine, he doesn't need to add more to the books, they are great, and I'd rather he spent his time producing more awesome content than to spend it making a comprehensive repository of every detail of his mods.

So this isn't really here to beg MDiyo for more info, I just started this thread to get people to share what they have discovered and so far I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, its been there for awhile.
It had just been hidden, so people who either read the source code, asked mDiyo or found it luckily would be able to get it.

It's not so hidden as that --- you make it by replacing the crossbar part of any sword recipe with the "Full Guard" pattern, which you can't create in the Stencil Table BUT is readily and commonly available in those Tinkers Construct Village huts (you know, the ones with the Wool floors and the chests full of redundant patterns you glanced at and quickly ignored ;) ). I think I've found it in every village I've come across (not saying it's in every village, just that it's common, and I've been lucky). I really like the way he snuck it into the game: It's very common, just very well-disguised amidst a bevvy of frying pan stencils ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1377322110][/DOUBLEPOST]Speaking of weapons, does anyone not use the Longsword? I find its right-click "lunge" ability to be more useful as a mobility aid than anything else --- hopping across ravines or jumping out of pits, that sort of thing.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
It's not so hidden as that --- you make it by replacing the crossbar part of any sword recipe with the "Full Guard" pattern, which you can't create in the Stencil Table BUT is readily and commonly available in those Tinkers Construct Village huts (you know, the ones with the Wool floors and the chests full of redundant patterns you glanced at and quickly ignored ;) ). I think I've found it in every village I've come across (not saying it's in every village, just that it's common, and I've been lucky). I really like the way he snuck it into the game: It's very common, just very well-disguised amidst a bevvy of frying pan stencils ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1377322110][/DOUBLEPOST]Speaking of weapons, does anyone not use the Longsword? I find its right-click "lunge" ability to be more useful as a mobility aid than anything else --- hopping across ravines or jumping out of pits, that sort of thing.

I use it to quad jump and get out of 4- block pits early game p:

Miss how it used to slow you down when you held right click. Just felt more awsome like that.