Tinkers Construct good starting tools

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
btw, Lapis is better to Fortune 3 than Pulverize. The Pulverizer gives you 8 shards of Lapis per ore, Fortune 3 gives you (on average) a 120% increase (on the 4-8 it gives if mined), thus giving you more Lapis (on average).

After looking at it a bit more, yes, the Lapis is general is better with fortune, so it's just redstone where you're hurting yourself with fortune since the max you can get with fortune is 8, which is what the pulverizer gives. Still, early game I would generally say redstone is one of the more important resources since you use a fair amount building machines, though lapis can help with being used in insertion pipes. Still, I'd probably go with silk touch until you can either get an easier and less time intensive/cheaper form of Fortune 3 and just break the ores you have saved up from silk touching them. As I also mentioned before, Silk Touch helps a lot when mining Nether Ores since otherwise they explode, so it makes mining nether ores a bit safer (if you're running with it enabled). In the end it's a preference, but all I can say is I don't feel like mining about 40k blocks of cobble to get fortune 3 again.

Now, having said that, if you're going for the Fortune/smelting combination you could probably use another form of Fortune 3 (as mentioned above) to get tons of lapis and do it that way to save time and go from there, but outside of a chance of tripling your ores it's kind of moot since MFR has the charcoal and potato thing covered with its automation.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Drink lava and water, vomit obsidian while running around on fire... Think that is how it works.

Without the running around bit.

You lose around 3 hearts if you're fast + lag is low. I suggest standing in water if attempting this.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
After looking at it a bit more, yes, the Lapis is general is better with fortune, so it's just redstone where you're hurting yourself with fortune since the max you can get with fortune is 8, which is what the pulverizer gives. Still, early game I would generally say redstone is one of the more important resources since you use a fair amount building machines, though lapis can help with being used in insertion pipes. Still, I'd probably go with silk touch until you can either get an easier and less time intensive/cheaper form of Fortune 3 and just break the ores you have saved up from silk touching them. As I also mentioned before, Silk Touch helps a lot when mining Nether Ores since otherwise they explode, so it makes mining nether ores a bit safer (if you're running with it enabled). In the end it's a preference, but all I can say is I don't feel like mining about 40k blocks of cobble to get fortune 3 again.

Now, having said that, if you're going for the Fortune/smelting combination you could probably use another form of Fortune 3 (as mentioned above) to get tons of lapis and do it that way to save time and go from there, but outside of a chance of tripling your ores it's kind of moot since MFR has the charcoal and potato thing covered with its automation.

Yeah, I agree Silk Touch is better early on (and arguably easier/faster to get as well, the Emerald and gold nuggets being the hardest parts). I'm just saying if you have a Block Crusher and a Pulverizer trow the Lapis in the Block Crusher ;) I'm also a big fan of Silk Touching everything while mining so you can carry more stuff back to base and Fortune it there if needed :)

How did you get the obsidian without a diamond in the first place?
I found an obsidian pick head in a village, but the obsidian needed to repair it I got from an Igneous Extruder.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I agree Silk Touch is better early on (and arguably easier/faster to get as well, the Emerald and gold nuggets being the hardest parts). I'm just saying if you have a Block Crusher and a Pulverizer trow the Lapis in the Block Crusher ;) I'm also a big fan of Silk Touching everything while mining so you can carry more stuff back to base and Fortune it there if needed :)

I found an obsidian pick head in a village, but the obsidian needed to repair it I got from an Igneous Extruder.

I'm somewhat confident that you could've used cobble for repair.

Willsy

Jul 29, 2019
A mixture of vanilla slime and blue slime for a tool give you good durability but you will need to add some redstone to speed it up, you can end up with a pick of more than 1000 durability if you get the right mix

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Lapis is not hard to get, Twilight forest hollow hill will garner alot of lapis very fast. Myself and my partner had two full fortune hammers and picks off one hill in no time. A lil overpowered but yeah not to hard to get. Next I will work on a silk touch hammer, we have all the mats for one, just haven't made it yet

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
So I found an NPC village with a tinkers construct house in it and now I got a bunch of stuff. Im wondering what are some good tools to start out with(I've played for less than an hour, and most of that was exploring) I dont have much resources yet, so i want an Ideal pick and shovel to last for some time

Anything you can get your hands on if you are that early game. Get a wood pick and mine some stone to make stone rods. I recommend something like copper, or iron, or thaumium. Something that can mine diamonds. Later in the game once you have some basic research make alumite tools to mine cobalt and ardite. Make some manyullyn tools.