Things you should know about GregTech 5.

Pyrolusite

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

Since FTB Resurrection will include GregTech 5, there's some little things you should be aware of before playing.
This thread will mostly contain explanations and advice for new GT 5 players.

Also, here's Greg's FAQ, if you have questions or problems, check this first : http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/com/gregoriust/gregtech/qa.txt

Get ready for the wall of text.

Technical stuff :

- GregTech is a mod with a considerable amount of content and recipes, so much that Minecraft needs a bit more time to load. It takes much longer if you don't have GT config files, but since the pack will provide them, you shouldn't worry about that. A very few mods (binnies has been noted, among possible others) increase this time significantly.

Survival stuff :

- Don't touch a lava bucket without wearing an IC2 Hazmat Suit or drinking a Fire Resistance Potion. This will gradually hurt you otherwise, 2 hearts every 10 seconds.

- Avoid contact with every radioactive-related materials (except ore blocks) until you have a Hazmat suit, namely uranium, plutonium and naquadah items.

- GT wooden pipes don't like hot fluids like lava, fire resistance brew (yes, because there's a fluid form for every potion with GT) and steam. They will instantly burn.

- Speaking of pipes, do not touch metal pipes containing the fluids mentioned above, or else you will take damage, depending on how hot the fluid is. For example, steam-filled pipes inflict 1 heart of damage every 0.5 seconds when you touch them. (needs verification, will be updated accordingly)

- Skeletons firing their 16th arrow will use a GT custom arrow, which can (rarely) be the infamous Enriched Naquadah Arrow, that inflicts Radiation III - consider this debuff as an insanely powerful poison that can't be cured, and can't be survived. However, other less severe debuffs are possible, or just hurt a bit more, since the arrow is randomized.

- Steam machines will output steam, when a process is done, that inflicts up to 4 hearts of damage if you are in the way.

Electric stuff :

- GregTech used to have a bronze age and an electric age. Now, the bronze age has 2 tiers of machinery - the "Steam" prefix, with a bronze casing, and the "High Pressure" prefix, with a steel casing - and the electric age 10 tiers. From "Ultra Low Voltage" (8 V) to "MAX Voltage" (2147483647 V), but most of the current GT machines have the "Insane Voltage" as maximum tier (8192 V).

- The starting voltage for electric stuff is 32 V, so don't bother making "Ultra Low Voltage" machines and use "Low Voltage" machines directly.

- GregTech's energy network works with 3 different variables : EU, Amperage and Voltage. Simply put, EU is the energy unit, Voltage is roughly how many EU/t a cable and/or machine can take, and Amperage is the amount of machines connected to a network. The more machines you link to a battery buffer and/or the more generators you link to your battery buffer, the more amperage you will need for your cables not to melt.

- Concerning voltage, it doesn't work like the old IC2 where 1 EU/t more than the maximum a machine can take can blow up your setup. If you use, for example, 4 steam turbines, you will produce a total of 128 eu/t. However, in fact, you will be producing 32 eu per amperage, having 4 amp, which means you not only need 4-amp cables to contain that power, but also that you can feed continuously 4 machines asking for 32 eu/t. You won't exceed the 32 voltage limit, and thus everything should be fine.

- There is a loss mechanic in the GT energy network, depending on the length, amperage and material used for cabling. Look at the cables descriptions if you want to know how lossy a cable is. Also, there's a 32 eu/t loss when transmitting power from a processing machine to another by using the "energy output" button, so do not use that functionnality with LV machines.

- IC2's energy network is compatible with GT's. You can directly link GT generators and battery buffers to IC2 machines, but you will need an IC2 transformer and a GT transformer to transmit IC2 power to a GT network.

- The blocks storing energy works differently from IC2. They are called "Battery buffers", and they are empty inventories. You need to store batteries inside to build the buffer and, as a result, store energy. Also, you need batteries using the correct voltage for the buffer to work. (example : IC2's RE Batteries in a LV battery buffer).

- Now the much dreaded part : EXPLOSIONS. The only way for your machines to blow up is to purposefully inject a higher voltage than it can take, using battery buffers or cables with a higher voltage. However, if you use a higher tier buffer or generator on a lower tier cable network, connected to machines of the same tier, the cables will burn, but your machines won't explode. And cables will burn if the amperage and/or voltage is too high for it to handle. Be ready to extinguish everything though, because GT machines don't like fire, can (and WILL) explode if set on fire for too long.

- Uninsulated cables and GT machines don't like rain, and will explode given enough time under the rain. To fix that, either make a ceilling large enough so that rain doesn't fall on the machine/cable or directly next to it, or put covers all around your machine/insulate your cable.

GT machines stuff :

- When you can start to make electric machines, here's the ones you need to make first : basic steam turbines to get power, basic bending machine, basic lathe, basic polarizer, basic wiremill and basic assembler for cheaper plates, rods, magnetic rods, wires, and access to new recipes respectively. Link them in a + shape with a x4 amp tin/zinc cable (insulated if possible) in the middle, so that you can provide power to 4 machines at the same time with minimal energy loss.

- Some machine recipes have a voltage restriction, meaning that some recipes require way more EU/t than your current machine can handle, so you will need to upgrade it to the next tier in order to make an item.
For example, the Extruder - a machine using shapes to do everything with a given material, combining the lathe, bending machine and lots of other machines in one. If you look at its recipes using NEI, you'll see that some recipes need 32 EU/t, when others need 128 EU/t, meaning that you will need a MV Extruder to make the latter. You can only process glass, rubber and plastic with a LV Extruder, all the other materials requiring at least the MV one.

- The disassembler allows you to disassemble machines into their original parts. However, the percentage of recycled materials depends of the tier, hence why you shouldn't disassemble things with a Basic Disassembler (LV). Use an Arc Furnace instead to get most of the metals used in its recipe back, in their ingot form.

- The Steam Alloy Smelter is the most steam-hungry machine of the bronze age. You may need 4 small boilers with decent copper pipes to make it work constantly.

- If your steam-powered machines have trouble processing stuff (interruption mid-process), remove all the stuff you put inside and wait for the on-going process to finish, then wait for a bit. This happens because the machine didn't have enough steam in it's buffer to process the whole stack and/or is consuming more steam that it's receiving, so you might consider processing smaller stacks and/or making larger steam pipes.

IC2 changes stuff :

- When GregTech is installed, the following IC2 machines become uncraftable : Solar panel, Electric Furnace, Macerator, Extractor, Compressor, Recycler, Induction Furnace, Mass Fabricator, Thermal Centrifuge, Metal Former, and the Ore Washing Plant. All these machines have GT equivalents with the same name, so no worries, you didn't lose any IC2 features.

- You will need to reach GT's electrical age before making RE batteries, since you will need a Fluid Extractor (only electric) to liquefy redstone and then a GT Canning Machine (only electric) to insert this liquid redstone into a battery hull made of 2 battery alloy plates (4 battery alloy ingots by using a hammer, 2 when using a bending machine ; 4 lead ingots + 1 antimony ingot = 5 battery alloy ingots in an alloy smelter) and one IC2 insulated tin cable or one GT insulated 1x tin cable. So, sorry, you can't bypass our Bronze Age by crafting an early IC2 generator.

General advice :

- If you have extra iron and want to make tools with it, first craft them into nuggets and smelt them in a furnace. You will get wrought iron, which is more durable. Craft them back into ingots, and do what you have to do.

- In FTB Resurrection, the "Vanilla wood crafting nerf" is disabled, meaning that you will get the standard amount of planks and sticks out of wood without requiring a saw. However, if you decide to craft a saw and use it for that matter anyways, you will get 1 extra plank and/or 1 extra stick per craft.

-
If you want to feed your small boilers with water using GT wooden pipes, feed them by the bottom side. The bottom side being the only side steam can't be outputted, steam won't go in these pipes once they are empty of water and burn everything.

Aaand it's done. If you have more questions, or did something wrong in this post (even typos or badly written english), please let me know.

If you don't mind reading and you feel the need to be more guided, there's a community-driven GregTech Survival Guide that you can find here, that will contain some of the stuff I wrote here and more : https://docs.google.com/document/d/...Rt1HbxOM87Sh1OO2Fou6zM/preview?pli=1&sle=true
A PDF version will be released once it's done.

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
You should also explain GregTech's ore spawning mechanics (or is it not a thing in Resurrection?)

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
Resurrection has a Custom Ore Generation.

The only other config changes i could find is that Wood crafting and Vanilla Tool nervs are disabled.

Minetweaker is used to give Iron Chests, ExU Generators and Enderquarry GT recipes.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the ore gen is customized to be a bit easier, more varieties of ores per chunk so you don't have to go 100 chunks away to get tin and another 100 to get copper and what not.

Pyrolusite

Jul 29, 2019
OP updated thanks to Physicist.

I also added the community-driven GT5 guide at the bottom of my post. If you don't mind reading a lot, you will find lots of information here.

EndlessFields

Jul 29, 2019
This was well done. This information should be put into the guide you mentioned as I learned a few more things I didn't know after reading the guide.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
A lava bucket does not kill instantly, but does like 4 damage every 2 sec. Hot metal ingots do that damage also. So you have time to throw it away.
But without armor, a pipe filled with lava or steam does kill with a single touch. That got me a few times.

Reactions: MigukNamja

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
But without armor, a pipe filled with lava or steam does kill with a single touch. That got me a few times.
In one hit really?
I'm playing Beyond Realit and I touched the steam pipe pretty often. It deals only a little bit of damage. Do the configs differ here?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Oh, man. I'm going to die to this a lot.
Lava bucket damage (and steam pipe damage) is exaggerated a bit. I've regularly carried buckets of lava from a mine up to my base via a ladder w/o dying. Don't dawdle though :)

I haven't found steam pipes to be much more dangerous than, say, cactus. I wonder if that damage is configurable and my environment is just tamer than yours :p

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
Lava bucket damage (and steam pipe damage) is exaggerated a bit. I've regularly carried buckets of lava from a mine up to my base via a ladder w/o dying. Don't dawdle though :)

That's a relief. I was afraid I was going to have to put Mariculture aside for a while because of the Crucible Furnace recipe.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019

I haven't found steam pipes to be much more dangerous than, say, cactus. I wonder if that damage is configurable and my environment is just tamer than yours :p
The kirara hardmode server is quite deadly, but i do not know of an config for that.
Might be that Greg did lower the damage. I started wearing a QSuit a few weeks after the lava/steam damage got added.
But my first experience was a lava pipe i stepped on while wearing a Thaumcraft armor with ~30 runic shielding. Instadeath...

Reactions: Pyure

Pyrolusite

Jul 29, 2019
Just saw some info here and there concerning lava bucket damage and pipe damage and updated the OP accordingly.
I badly worded the "lava bucket" part.

Also yeah, I didn't mention the "Pyrolusite ore" part because it might sound pretentious :p but yeah, it gives manganese. I'll add it anyways.
Manganese is a durable material that can be mined with flint tools and has the same mining level as most metals like iron, bronze... which means you can bypass the "can't mine iron with flint" restriction if you found pyrolusite.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Just saw some info here and there concerning lava bucket damage and pipe damage and updated the OP accordingly.
I badly worded the "lava bucket" part.

Also yeah, I didn't mention the "Pyrolusite ore" part because it might sound pretentious :p but yeah, it gives manganese. I'll add it anyways.
Manganese is a durable material that can be mined with flint tools and has the same mining level as most metals like iron, bronze... which means you can bypass the "can't mine iron with flint" restriction if you found pyrolusite.
The pyrolusite thing doesn't belong in your message, its sort of irrelevant. I was just being silly.

Pyrolusite

Jul 29, 2019
The pyrolusite thing doesn't belong in your message, its sort of irrelevant. I was just being silly.
No, actually that's a decent advice. That's how I bypassed my inability to mine iron when I couldn't find copper and tin on Kirara.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
No, actually that's a decent advice. That's how I bypassed my inability to mine iron when I couldn't find copper and tin on Kirara.
I've honestly never heard of anyone using it for tools, lol.
Manganese is a rarer material used in the stainless steel era, which gives it its traditional value.

There's plenty of materials that can be used to help mine the level 2 ores, particularly if the pack has things like thaumcraft in it, so singling one out might be odd.

Pyrolusite

Jul 29, 2019
I've honestly never heard of anyone using it for tools, lol.
Manganese is a rarer material used in the stainless steel era, which gives it its traditional value.

There's plenty of materials that can be used to help mine the level 2 ores, particularly if the pack has things like thaumcraft in it, so singling one out might be odd.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the fact that Thaumcraft was in FTB Resurrection... Let's remove the manganese tip then, there's way more available and powerful mats with TC.

Reactions: Pyure