Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
@KingLemming: first of all, congrats on yet another amazing addition (at least imho) to an already amazing mod.

As some previous posters have mentioned already, I cannot wait to start using these in my worlds and I'm curious to see what route you'll take where FMP, facades, whateveryouwannacallthem are concerned.

I do have one question, or request if you will. Are you considering the possibility for itemducts to be configurable in the sense of sending modes (single-item, stacks, etc.). I think this would make the system even more interesting because I could imagine setups where sending a stack of items is needed over sending a single item.

Once again, great work on TE3 and I cannot wait until it's released! Keep it up!

Cheers,
Bel*.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I do have one question, or request if you will. Are you considering the possibility for itemducts to be configurable in the sense of sending modes (single-item, stacks, etc.). I think this would make the system even more interesting because I could imagine setups where sending a stack of items is needed over sending a single item.
ability to send stacks of items just by changing configuration is likely to give itemducts label OP. i guess there might be an improved version of ducts that can send in stacks.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The video demonstration Zeldo gave already shows them pulling full stacks.

Of course, they may still receive balance tuning. You generally do that after feature implementation though, not during ;)

There was also a mention of glowstone filled ducts that improve item traveling speed. Maybe other filling fluids will be used to give other abilities. You could have for example an ender filled duct attached to a chest that can pull the full stack, followed by a series of several glowstone ducts for improved transfer speed, then a redstone filled duct that can be opened/closed via redstone signal... </purespeculation>

Reactions: Loufmier

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
There was also a mention of glowstone filled ducts that improve item traveling speed. Maybe other filling fluids will be used to give other abilities. You could have for example an ender filled duct attached to a chest that can pull the full stack, followed by a series of several glowstone ducts for improved transfer speed, then a redstone filled duct that can be opened/closed via redstone signal... </purespeculation>

And then add more MFR support by having chocolate-milk filled ducts that make everything delicious. :p

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If you read the Reddit post about this they (KL and Zeldo) mention there will be 2 tiers of these pipes (atm anyway) with the 2nd tier being much faster.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Since liquids appear to be a part of the pipe construction (for upgrades), I wonder if there will be an "ender" version that is a short range teleport pipe (16 blocks)? I.e. You place a pipe for the start and the end, somehow link the two. Item teleportation. Bit like the old teleport pipes back in the tekkit days. Not as powerful as tesseracts, but a good alternative for reducing pipes within a base and dealing with compact builds.

Tybot

Jul 29, 2019
Since liquids appear to be a part of the pipe construction (for upgrades), I wonder if there will be an "ender" version that is a short range teleport pipe (16 blocks)? I.e. You place a pipe for the start and the end, somehow link the two. Item teleportation. Bit like the old teleport pipes back in the tekkit days. Not as powerful as tesseracts, but a good alternative for reducing pipes within a base and dealing with compact builds.

I doubt it. The main challenge of piping and power networks is getting them to fit well in the same area. If you want to circumvent that challenge completely by teleportation, the requirements of such should be proportionally as expensive. Tesseracts I think are a good price for that, if anything they're too cheap for anything beyond short range. Personally I think tesseracts should require power to operate IMHO, and the greater the distance the greater the power requirement, to a point.

Reactions: zorn

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
ability to send stacks of items just by changing configuration is likely to give itemducts label OP. i guess there might be an improved version of ducts that can send in stacks.
Why would that be OP? It's not like that ability wasn't/isn't available in other mods. Even RP2 transposers and tubes could push stacks, right?
I doubt it. The main challenge of piping and power networks is getting them to fit well in the same area. If you want to circumvent that challenge completely by teleportation, the requirements of such should be proportionally as expensive. Tesseracts I think are a good price for that, if anything they're too cheap for anything beyond short range. Personally I think tesseracts should require power to operate IMHO, and the greater the distance the greater the power requirement, to a point.
Ehhhhh, so you'd have to pair an Energy Tesseract to every Liquid/Item Tesseract to power it? I guess you could add another config tab to the Item/Liquid Tesseract to link it up with a supplying Energy Tesseract.

Larandar

Jul 29, 2019
Why would that be OP? It's not like that ability wasn't/isn't available in other mods. Even RP2 transposers and tubes could push stacks, right?

Ehhhhh, so you'd have to pair an Energy Tesseract to every Liquid/Item Tesseract to power it? I guess you could add another config tab to the Item/Liquid Tesseract to link it up with a supplying Energy Tesseract.

KL already say that Tesseract will be only "Tesseract" no more item/fluid/energy version. So energy drawback is even simpler to do :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

Nope, a transposer couldn't do it... you needed a tier 2 or 3 machine ;) Filter, Relay, Sorting Machine, Retriever, Manager.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Quite possible. I am not commenting or speculating on the implementation chosen by Team CoFH... I'm merely pointing out that no, RP2 transposers never moved stacks at a time.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I see from one of the videos that they have gone with the "Redpower" solution to last-resort item handling: Backstuffing. I wonder how big the backstuff buffer is. In RP it was theoretically infinite*, with rumours of bugs and dupes when you backstuff a ridiculous amount of items.

*By which I mean no specific coded limit, only platform-dependent limits imposed by whatever Java data structure was used to hold the data.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Just to be really clear on something here, these things are Zeldo's babies. He's done 100% of the work on ItemDucts. I've tweaked the render a bit, that's all.

For the time being, there are no Ender-based upgrades planned for conduits. Tesseracts already fill that role. And as has been stated, there is only one Tesseract in 3.0, which is made possible by the move to RF.

I don't know if/when/how we'll end up tiering filter capabilities - we're still focused on allowing for things to happen right now, not so much on the progression to make it happen. In some sense, I can see the argument that pulling stacks is OP. In another sense, AE would like a word with you. Also, I'd hate to have to add a filter-style block just to add some level of tech progression here. Possibly a conduit upgrade item, but not another device entirely.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
In some sense, I can see the argument that pulling stacks is OP. In another sense, AE would like a word with you.
well AE has power requirements, while it wasn't shown for itemduct which makes me think this is likely to give birth to OP nonsense(i personally care not).

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Does the new TE have side-specific wrenching of conduits? I think I saw a video demonstrating wrenching of individual connections into a redstone energy conduit a few months back. Will that be possible with item conduits, so that they can run to and from and through densely packed machines without connecting to everything?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just to be really clear on something here, these things are Zeldo's babies. He's done 100% of the work on ItemDucts. I've tweaked the render a bit, that's all.

For the time being, there are no Ender-based upgrades planned for conduits. Tesseracts already fill that role. And as has been stated, there is only one Tesseract in 3.0, which is made possible by the move to RF.

I don't know if/when/how we'll end up tiering filter capabilities - we're still focused on allowing for things to happen right now, not so much on the progression to make it happen. In some sense, I can see the argument that pulling stacks is OP. In another sense, AE would like a word with you. Also, I'd hate to have to add a filter-style block just to add some level of tech progression here. Possibly a conduit upgrade item, but not another device entirely.

Thanks for the heads up.

A single Tesseract is interesting. I'm assuming that allows for fluids, energy and items to be transmitted/recieved via just one block! If so, the tesseract cost would have to be increased (somehow).

Only way I could really see tiered item conduicts is by stack size. 1, 16 & 64. Speed is a glowstone fluid upgrade. I'd assume tesseract item transport tiers would also follow the same logic.

Reactions: KnightOwl

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
If moving full stacks of items is overpowered, I don't want to be balanced. Not everything needs a terrible version just to create an arbitrary progression curve.

Then again, if moving full stacks of items is overpowered, your argument has probably gone wrong somewhere.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Also, I wonder if there will be options to prevent adjacent ducts from connecting. Panels, presumably, if and when it gets MultiPart compatability.

That gives me an idea. I wonder if MultiPart could get something like a "pipe plug", the middle of a panel that just prevents pipe/tube connections from one block to another. There would be no real benefit to it other than aesthetics. Unless, if you could run wires past it as they go through the edges of a face and not the centre... Hm. Off-topic. Sorry.