The future of FTB Modpacks pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Interesting that these mods exist for the very reason that Minecraft contains no real development-restrictive DRM.

Why is it that mod authors should be allowed to take advantage of such a cracked-open system, and yet also apply new restrictions to their own derivative works on a whim?
Because it is their decision to do so. Mojang could've done that too. In which case few of us on the forums would now be playing Minecraft. Funny how those mods which contain said DRM are getting steadily less and less popular, isn't it? Gee... I wonder if there's a correlation...

Of course, the whole argument is entirely irrelevant. Slowpoke does not have control over what Mojang or the mod authors do with their code. If they want to do that, then that is their decision. Slow is producing a Launcher and several Mod Packs. As long as they function without harm to the end-user, it isn't his ball of wax.

If you truly feel this way, appeal to said mod authors directly on their forums, or to Mojang.

Reactions: Flipz

Wourghk

Jul 29, 2019
Because it is their decision to do so. Mojang could've done that too. In which case few of us on the forums would now be playing Minecraft. Funny how those mods which contain said DRM are getting steadily less and less popular, isn't it? Gee... I wonder if there's a correlation...

[...]

If you truly feel this way, appeal to said mod authors directly on their forums, or to Mojang.
I raised the question, but I don't have any feelings one way or the other.

If it's an unwritten, but still widely understood rule that the mod author does not have to adhere to a specific kind of license in creating content for Minecraft, then consider this to be one of many reasons why Mojang haven't yet made a modding API. After all, who would dare tame the wild west?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I raised the question, but I don't have any feelings one way or the other.

If it's an unwritten, but still widely understood rule that the mod author does not have to adhere to a specific kind of license in creating content for Minecraft, then consider this to be one of many reasons why Mojang haven't yet made a modding API. After all, who would dare tame the wild west?
Umm... have you ever been to, say, Texas? The so-called 'Wild West' has been tamed for near a century now. I suppose that makes the analogy even more appropriate.

Tzukasa

Jul 29, 2019
So THIS is the reason that the new FTB Pack that has Gregtech is so Bleh and missing so much of the cool stuff?!?!! WOW I def won't be using his mods anymore. That is childish, immature and downright offencive to the players.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Modding in general seems to be a community exercise. Why a modder would then not use an open license... is just something I don't understand.

Disclaimer: my own works (though I'm not a modder at this time) usually are given out under creative-commons, and I'm a card-carrying bumper-sticker-on-the-car Free Software Foundation member. So, there is some bias here.

Reactions: Zexks
Status
Not open for further replies.