The Best Power Source

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Yous hould make a vile sword as soon as possible then, and enchant it with the soul stealing enchant, because it's not as if it was easy to kill 1024 blazes, even if you did make a trap for them.

@Saice: well, if I was to make a tower with thermopiles, I would stack them on top of each other, and make go the liquid on the 4 remaining sides. less efficient per thermopile, but less cabling too, and easy to build.
A pyramid shape (or reverse) could also be wuite nice for reusing the lava sources, but it could become hard to wire.
So much to think about, but I think you are better at this than I am anyway.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Yous hould make a vile sword as soon as possible then, and enchant it with the soul stealing enchant, because it's not as if it was easy to kill 1024 blazes, even if you did make a trap for them.

@Saice: well, if I was to make a tower with thermopiles, I would stack them on top of each other, and make go the liquid on the 4 remaining sides. less efficient per thermopile, but less cabling too, and easy to build.
A pyramid shape (or reverse) could also be wuite nice for reusing the lava sources, but it could become hard to wire.

I already use a 4 stack pile setup with lava in the middle and water outside. It works very well actually.

My current test is to make a more effective setup using a sort of cell make up that stacks so that I can have two piles share one lava block each and repeat. Tests show that a group of 40 of theses already gets about twice what my current pile (48) can do. So my plan it to scale this up to 640 cells (the number needed at .5amps each) and see if the 32k cap on the BT engine is true. If that works Then I should be able to use that to make self creating lava with a cobble gen.

Yes it is stupid but I don't play MC to do something the easy way.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019

Low tech and easy - pretty safe - method to farm a blaze spawner to fill up a shard:
First disable the spawner and identify the F1 and F2 facing (these are the sides with the extra spawning area). To maximize spawning space you make the spawning room 4 blocks from the spawner in these directions and 3 blocks in the other 2.

Low tech blaze farm:
Simple way to disable the spawner is to fill in the floor level with the spawner and then put torches in this pattern-
zJTtE.png

Next just build two walls dividing up the spawn area leaving 3 2 wide section of the room:
SDBaf.png

CoJob.png

tVP4N.png

Dig out a room below the spawner and take the wall down 6 or so blocks from the spawner. Then use half slabs on the bottom of the wall and on the floor:
x5YUS.png

The half slabs don't protect you entirely, but they make you hard to see and hit and it is easy for you to hit the blaze.

You can let them build up in the 3 pens by afking near the spawner and then kill them in a mostly safe manner. Clear the outer pens first and then clear the inner pen and you should rarely get hit.

You have to move right up against the pen for them to even see you to take a shot and even then they miss and hit the half slabs most of the time:
x5YUS.png

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I was planning on just exploring a bit and right-clicking spawners with the soul gem thingie :p[DOUBLEPOST=1358510405][/DOUBLEPOST]Apparently you can do the same (but much less efficient) with any mob, by recycling the drops and burning them for more energy than it takes to recycle them.

Of course you could do the same thing with an igneous extruder...

im still going for the yellow stick route tho :p

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently you can do the same (but much less efficient) with any mob, by recycling the drops and burning them for more energy than it takes to recycle them.
Of course you could do the same thing with an igneous extruder...
This is the base idea of all the scrapbox generators:
10 recyclers with 1 overclocker each and one igneous extruder above. Scrap gets pumped out into a generator powering the recyclers, while overflow scrap is autocrafted in an ACT to boxes, opened via a deployer into an obsidian pipe->chest. All the wooden stuff piped to a generator to your energy storage system.
Generates energy and tons of random stuff (given time).
For extra efficiency you can sawmill the wooden tools to planks and burn these (for more energy), while furnacing the compressed sawdust to charcoal (even more energy).

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019

If you right click a spawner with a soul shard you get 200 souls instantly. There is no shortage of blaze spawneres. In theory you could keep one normal in case you want more later after you have depleted your supply, but getting a tier 5 spawner or two is not hard.

Also, all swords can get soul stealing, vile sword can just get an extra level (5 instead of 4).

Rostbef

Jul 29, 2019
This is the base idea of all the scrapbox generators:
10 recyclers with 1 overclocker each and one igneous extruder above. Scrap gets pumped out into a generator powering the recyclers, while overflow scrap is autocrafted in an ACT to boxes, opened via a deployer into an obsidian pipe->chest. All the wooden stuff piped to a generator to your energy storage system.
Generates energy and tons of random stuff (given time).
For extra efficiency you can sawmill the wooden tools to planks and burn these (for more energy), while furnacing the compressed sawdust to charcoal (even more energy).

I'm trying to do exactly what you're saying with the scrap becoming a fuel source. The trouble I'm having is that the scrap defaults to the top slot in the generator, when piped in, instead of the fuel source. How do I force it to become fuel?

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to do exactly what you're saying with the scrap becoming a fuel source. The trouble I'm having is that the scrap defaults to the top slot in the generator, when piped in, instead of the fuel source. How do I force it to become fuel?
Pipe/tube in from the bottom.

For IC2 machines I have gotten into the habbit of powering them from the back. Input 1 in the top, input 2 (if they have one) from the bottom, and output the front. Not very clean looking, but best way to have a row of machines in a standard format.

Rostbef

Jul 29, 2019
Pipe/tube in from the bottom.

For IC2 machines I have gotten into the habbit of powering them from the back. Input 1 in the top, input 2 (if they have one) from the bottom, and output the front. Not very clean looking, but best way to have a row of machines in a standard format.

Thank you very much!

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
If you right click a spawner with a soul shard you get 200 souls instantly. There is no shortage of blaze spawneres. In theory you could keep one normal in case you want more later after you have depleted your supply, but getting a tier 5 spawner or two is not hard.

Also, all swords can get soul stealing, vile sword can just get an extra level (5 instead of 4).
Yes and no.

In SSP, of course, but in SMP, if even 1 out of 10 players did this, there would rapidly be a need to have a massive nether just for the souls, and newer players would not get any chance to do this before quite some time.

On the other hand, making a blaze farm from 4 vanilla spawners can make enought spawns to fill quite fast those shards, and you can use any spawners after that for the right click.

It's all about thinking not only about yourself, but also about the other players.

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
We're hooked on a Nether Railcraft/Myscraft lava system on our server, but.... I've been experimenting with milk! It's an unlimited power source, as long as the cow lives.

Ddogclaw

Jul 29, 2019
Milk? How can milk be used as power?
Also for whatever reason, a railcraft/mystcraft system crashes the server as when the minecart goes through the portal it leaves a ghost minecart that will cause everything to crash..

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
Milk? How can milk be used as power?
Also for whatever reason, a railcraft/mystcraft system crashes the server as when the minecart goes through the portal it leaves a ghost minecart that will cause everything to crash..

There's actually a fix floating around. It works perfectly. Do a search and it should pop up. We've been using it since its release and have had zero problems.

Milk energy is 1MJ every 40k ticks, but it works!

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
W
Well I now know my new goal in life: Make massive milk energy farm/generator thing!

We've got a 10.5 million bucket railcraft tank filled up. It's feed by a RP2 milking system, which is infinite! Oh and the tanks is a 9x9. It's the largest Railcraft tank size without changing the cfg.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It makes power based off heat exchange. Basicly you put a cold side and a hot side to the block and it makes power. The bigger the diffrance the more power you get.
While nothing like a Thermopile, water towers in passive mode might be a functional equivelant. It's a trickle-generator, producing less than 1 EU/t, but it does so constantly. Precise amount of EU generated depends on the number of water source blocks around it, .01 per water source block in a 3x3 block surrounding it. An optimal configuration permits up to .25 EU/t, but water towers generally end up clustering them closer together for only .23 EU/t, but far more of them stacked in towers to end up producing a higher total of EU.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I like that idea of a scrap-powerd generator, I didn't know Scrap was a fuel. I currently have an automatic Cobblestone recycler that so far has produced 2 cakes and a diamond, but it's eating a lot of fuel. How do you divert surplus Scrap into the Scrapbox crafter? I can't figure out how overflow-proofing should work with Buildcraft Pipes, other than using Obsidian to clean it up. Or should I convert to using Redpower Tubes?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Tubes make it easier, but if you want to stay with buildcraft pipes, you can use a diamond pipe next to your generator. The generator side is configured for scrap, rest is empty. This way all scrap tries to go to the generator, if it has space. If it is full, the scrap will continue on its path to the ACT, chest or whatever destiny you have devised.