Thaumcraft research boost list

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I have done some testing and here are the results. If I have missed something be sure to comment but test it out before you do so that we don't get useless guesses. I have tested things quite extensively. Things might change in the future. You also might be able to use something else besides the mentioned things but since all the aspects have something I am content with the list for now. Only vanilla and Thaumcraft stuff can boost the research right now. Extra Biomes XL and Twilight Forest are partially supported. The number of things to get maximum boost possible is mentioned in brackets, anything lower will usually get you a lower boost and if an aspect can't be boosted all the way to 5 the boost you can get is mentioned in brackets next to the aspect. You can combine different things to get the full boost for an aspect but the numbers here represent the amounts required when using that single item. The research table has a range of 10 blocks away from the scribing tool side of it to have the objects in.

So the list of things to boost aspects (open the spoiler):

Player has buff (any level):
Regeneration: Sano (1)
Poison: Venenum (1)
Night Vision: Visum (1)
Resistance: Tutamen (1)

Player has jumped (press jump key, stays active until logout): Volito (1)

Player missing health: Corpus (1)

Undead monsters (23): Animus, Malum, Mortuus (Malum and Mortuus max out with 15 monsters)

Creepers (15): Fractus, Mutatio

Spiders (15): Bestiola

Sheep (23): Bestia, Pannus

Other animals (23): Bestia

Villagers (14): Imperito, Permutatio (Permutatio maxed at 9)

Any Golems (9, vanilla also work): Telum, Tutamen

Blazes (15): Ignis

Medium (23) and large (15) Slimes and Magma Cubes (the detection seems buggy but these should be the numbers, better to have more just to be sure): Corpus

Research table at height of 192: Aura (3, bonus starts from 1 at 129)

Bedrock (46, have the research table at height of 14 or alternatively 113 in the Nether): Saxum, Solum, Tenebris

Research table open for sunlight (glass roof works): Lux (1)

Raining: Aer (1)

Nether Portal, End Portal, Mystcraft Portal, Twilight Forest Portal (9, the portal blocks themselves): Alienis, Vacuos

End Portal frame (9, exactly the whole End Portal): Alienis

Dragon Egg (2): Alienis, Malum, Praecantatio (4, bonus is 2 with one. Can't get 5 for some reason with just the eggs.)

Beacon (5): Lux, Imperito (Imperito stays at 4, similar issue as with Dragon Eggs)

Block of Emerald, Enchanting Table (5) / Brewing Stand (9): Praecantatio

Block of Iron (6): Metallum

Block of Gold (6): Carus

Block of Diamond (5): Carus, Vitreus

Bookshelf (9): Cognitio

Any head, Brain in a Jar (9): Cognitio, Malum

Warded Jar (14) / Wooden and stone Pressure Plate (23): Vinculum

Cake (18): Victus

Farmland (23): Messis

Crops on farmland, Sugar Canes, Cocoa Beans, Saplings, Lily Pad, Cinderpearl, Shimmerleaf, EBXL and Twilight Forest "tall grass", flowers (including toadstool) and saplings (23): Herba

Dead Bush (9): Mortuus

Chest (9): Vacuos

Water, Oil (23, source and flowing both count the same) / Cauldron (9, not Crucible): Aqua

Lava (23, same as water): Ignis, Saxum

Fire (9): Ignis

Redstone Dust (30) / Redstone Repeater (18): Machina, Potentia

Silverwood Log (30): Purus

Piston (15, sticky doesn't work): Motus

Wood (46, only vanilla logs): Lignum

Glass block (46): Vitreus

Glass Pane (46): Visum

Mushroom, Mushroom block (23): Fungus

Cobweb, Ectoplasm (23): Bestiola

TNT (18): Fractus, Ignis

Ice (23): Gelum

Flower, Rose (23): Flos

Anvil (9) / Crafting Table (23): Fabrico, Instrumentum

Jukebox (9): Sonus

Redstone Lamp (18): Lux

Monster Spawner (5, not Soul Shards' Soul Cage): Bestia, Fabrico, Vinculum

Here is what I think is the cheapest (most realistic) solution to get everything:
Blocks

6 iron blocks
6 gold blocks
2 Nether portals
1 enchanting table (you should have this anyway)
7 brewing stands or 4 emerald blocks (whichever you can get easier)
18 cakes
23 farmland
23 planted crops on the farmland
1 source block of water flowing for 23 blocks total
1 lava doing the same as water
30 redstone dust
15 pistons
46 (oak) logs
30 silverwood logs
46 glass blocks
46 glass panes
23 mushrooms
23 ice blocks
23 flowers
1 anvil (again, not the absolute cheapest but you should have one)
20 crafting tables
9 jukeboxes
14 redstone lamps
9 brains in a jar or 9 mob heads (you can probably get mob heads earlier than the brain in a jar)
23 pressure plates (or 14 warded jars if you have them)
23 cobwebs or a (cave) spider spawner running to get 15 spiders

Mobs

14 villagers
9 snow golems (a bit of a pain, you need to be in a snow biome)
23 sheep
15 large or 23 medium slimes (swamp)
15 creepers (make a soul shard)
23 undead monsters (zombie or skeleton spawner)

Other

remember to jump (easy to forget if you're wearing a certain pair of boots, one jump is enough, though)
raining (this isn't used but you could potentially make a mystcraft age with eternal rain)
poisoned (tropical bees are very easy for this)
regeneration (imperial bees have this, you should be getting them anyway)
leave the table open for sunlight
One table at height of 192 for Aura and another table near bedrock (y=10 with flat bedrock) for Solum and Tenebris

Update 13.6.2013: Nothing has changed. The most recently added aspect Tempus doesn't have anything to boost it with. If you have found the boost for it let me know. No guessing, please, I have done a lot of that myself already. :)

Update 14.6.2013: Tested some things and sure enough they work. Thanks to MilConDoin for hinting me in the right direction. Too bad there weren't anything else but one special block type I found that worked which I had not thought about earlier.

Update 18.6.2013: Added shopping list for the full set of everything you should have.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
awesome. I thought a head granted cognitio, but perhaps that was the brewing stand next to my table.

Very nice.
I'm not sure how to turn this into savings on research, but I've never been the most creative person either. A wonderful resource.

If you have a good bonus on an element, you can research them quite well on cursory, which saves on ingredients.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
awesome. I thought a head granted cognitio, but perhaps that was the brewing stand next to my table.

If you have a good bonus on an element, you can research them quite well on cursory, which saves on ingredients.
Oh man, heads do have Cognitio. I had bookshelves due to the Enchanting Table being there anyway. But Brewing Stand doesn't have it.

Looking at the config file and calculating just a bit it would seem that thorough research would save more resources in reality as the return per actual resource used is greater.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice list, thanks for that.
Another question: What is the max Y-level difference allowed (both upwards an downwards)?

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice list, thanks for that.
Another question: What is the max Y-level difference allowed (both upwards an downwards)?
It is the same 10 blocks in every direction. You should easily be able to crank at least the blocks within that space. You only have to choose your actual height to start with, everything else can be added later.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Well absolutely all of them is obviously impossible and some are not too useful. What I had been doing in my survival world was that I got the things I needed and plopped them down and removed them after I was done but I should make a better magic base somewhere else.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Corrected minor detail that doesn't affect pure survival mode all that much. But it does mean that a complete setup to boost everything is possible if you cheat a bit.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Well, now I know I was getting the most out of my Brewing Stand, Nether Portal, Enchantment Table and Bookshelves being in the same room. Next time I'll put Crafting Tables under the floor, and a Glass roof. Silverwood Log pillars at the corners would be worth it, too. Sugarcane farm just outside wouldn't get in the way any and give a small ping to two Aspects. Light it all with glassed-in Lava, throw some Cobwebs around in the upper corners, and that should be good. Metallum and Carus boosts are a bit pricey, though. Might be worth it to put Emerald Blocks under the Infusion Altar.

Reactions: Barbarian Kitten

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Early on I think even a few blocks of iron, and then researching with nuggets should help. Right? +1 on each nugget vs an ingot at a time?
Ah, I completely forgot about Nuggets, I had never used 'em for research. That would definitely make it worth a couple blocks. Rethinking my floorplan to include Iron. Probably around the Crucible.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Always try use the item that has the least amount of the aspect you need when you have boosts active. If you don't have any boost it doesn't matter. And research mode on thorough, I won't spoil the exact numbers here (you can check them yourself from the config file) but thorough will use less materials in the end even if it seems like it wouldn't. Note that when you are done with research you won't be needing the boosts anymore and can take the resources back into real use.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Care to elaborate, please?
I should say the cheapest item with the aspect you want but if you can craft it into smaller pieces it is better to use those smaller pieces. The boost is added randomly each time you hit the research button. It doesn't multiply the aspects, only adds its own bonus that doesn't get better with higher aspect values. Also, higher aspect value only has a chance to get higher yield (it gets randomized and can be the same effect as a single aspect) and it doesn't end up being double Pannus for string compared to leather for example. Seems like it's more close to only half of that and the maximum isn't increased with each point added. Of course, this is all from testing a bit. If you want to be more sure you'd need to look into the source code. But boost active at best two hits to complete Enchanted Fabric's Pannus with wool or three with leather should tell you something.

In addition, don't put multiple items with the same aspect in. Only the highest aspect value gets used but all the items get consumed anyway. Even 5 of the same non-stackable items do this. You can put different aspects in at the same time, though.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Made another update. This time I went through and tested everything again to see if they boosted something else that I didn't mention and a bit more what I didn't try. Some of these things are seriously obscure so I missed them the first time around. How are you supposed to figure these out without trying every aspect with everything..? And also many are pretty much not worth the extra work to get at all, the aspects they boost are so easy to get that there is no point.

Also, EBXL and Twilight Forest seem to have some of their blocks counted.

This testing round still left some aspects without the possibility for full boost. You're welcome to discover more boosters for them, I'll guarantee it won't be easy as I didn't manage to find any more by going through all of vanilla and Thaumcraft blocks and entities.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I am impressed.

Tempted to turn the list on it's nose and sort it by aspect...
Hmm, I don't know really how to sort it. Many things boost multiple aspects and multiple aspects are boosted by many things. Either way you would be mentioning things twice. But it's still the shorter list this way and makes it easier to look up what you're going to need for a full setup.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I have an idea for what it might be already (somewhat obvious, the block is on the list already) but if you find out let us know. I'm not actually going to do the update hassle quite yet.

dualinfinities

Jul 29, 2019
It's definitely not repeaters, i tried it with 56 in range and level with the table an there was no bonus. I'll keep looking, though.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
There might not even be one, it isn't really used yet. Aer has boost but that's an obvious one.