Thaumcraft 4 Alembic - How does it work?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Jul 29, 2019
How do you use the Thaumcraft 4 arcane alembic? I have my alchemical furnace, I "cooked" some bread in it (I have discovered the aspects that are in bread), there are two arcane alembics atop each other, both on top of the furnace. The book says "use a phial to extract from the alembic" so I made some glass phials, but I have no idea how to actually get stuff out of the alembic *right-clicking with phial didnt work, without phial I got a message that said "alembic is almost empty" *
Someone please explain how to use the furnace and alembics properly, thanks :)

Lucky_strike_DXD

Jul 29, 2019
you need to place a warded jar under the alembic to catch the aspects, or you can hook them up with the aspect piping and place all aspects around the infusing altar

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
You can only take out 8 essentia at a time with a phial. Try cooking things in multiples of 8 to make removal easy, or just use essentia piping.

Last edited:

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Plop an alembic down on top of an alchemical furnace and plop a jar under it's "spout". You'll find this'll be easier with essentia pipes or golems with decanting cores

thaile4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Like CodaPDX said phial take 8 essentia out at a time. If there is less then that in the alembic then nothing happens. You should upgrade to jars and pipes as soon as possible.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The arcane alembics will hold up to 32 essentia of a particular type. So, if you are cooking an item with 5 different aspects, you will need an arcane furnace topped with the maximum of 5 alembics.
If you are wearing goggles of revealing you will see the type, and quantity in each alembic as you look it it.
You can extract essentia from alembics by attaching them to a piping system, assigning alchemy golems to the furnace (with warded jars nearby) placing warded jars under the spouts, or right clicking on them with empty vials when they contain 8or more of an aspect. The last method really sucks as you can't clear out essentia except in multiples of 8 which is really an impossible task to get right without goggles and/or a lot of careful math.

One last point, the arcane furnace is lossless - if you don't have sufficient alembics essentia will build up in the furnace (the purple bar) and additional items will only be burnt up if their essentia has someplace to go. The furnace will however continue to consume fuel till its job is done so don't spend too long in this state.

Another last point - if using warded jars - as soon as an alembic is empty it might accept a different kind of essentia. As such you should only place warded jars under the spouts of alembics that claim to be nearly or fully full - taking careful note of the colour of the drip to judge which essentia the alembic contains. Otherwise you can end up with multiple jars containing odd amounts of essentia that could have fitted nicely in a single jar.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
You need 8 essentia for a phial. If phials held one essentia, that would be a waste, since they break after you empty them.[DOUBLEPOST=1389627471][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and on using the Alembics: The best way to do that is to stack warded jars on the side of the furnace and Alembics.
Here, where F is furnace, W is jar, A is Alembic, and _ is space.
_A
WA
WA
WA
WF
The spout of the alembics should be facing toward the jars.