Thaumcraft 3 Cheat Sheet (SPOILERS!)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PsychoMark

Jul 29, 2019
Whoops, Google failed me then. I couldn't find any wiki on the main site, better look harder next time :)

ShattForte

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you very much for the list, I found it to be invaluable while playing!

To make it a bit easier for myself I turned it into a sorted table and added the aspect icons, that way it also prints nicely. In case anyone is interested: Dropbox link.

Excellent job! Very simple to look at and easy to understand, even better than my own list. :]

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I am just not enjoying the research aspect of this particular mod. It's all so much guesswork and dropping random stuff in the table. Is there a cheat sheet, or would someone be willing to make one that list what items can be used in the research table to progress through the research tree?

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
Hasn't it already been released? I've been playing the magic World for a while now, and I search the web constantly for such a list, but to no avail as of yet.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
Uh, no there hasn't been any such listed in this thread. There's a list of which items contain which essences, but nothing that lists specific items to put in the table to achieve the research element itself.

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
The wiki has such a table but I cannot give out the link just yet. However if you checkout the link posted by Psycho (about the icons) that links to an offsite fan based wiki there is a list there of research and required essences. That should do until the official wiki is public

kenlong

Jul 29, 2019
magic tallow is a pretty cheap source of praecantatio if you're willing to toss some flux into the atmosphere making it.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The costs involved with Thaumcraft 3 are very interesting, and I think trickier than a lot of people realize.

For instance, Flux is pretty hard to clean up with the current features. You can only see the combined Flux tier and not individual Flux values. To clean up Flux, you have to either nurse a Pure Node large enough to eat the Node you want to clean up, or you need to figure out what Flux it has (good luck with that) and then bump it up just enough to get a Wisp to spawn out of it... and hope that the amount of Flux consumed to give the Wisp life is enough to bring the Flux all the way down to where it stops having an effect. This gets even more complicated when Crystals are involved as they doubtlessly introduce multiple kinds of Flux as your Node is slowly regenerated. Fun (with a capital F) fact: NEI reveals the existence of "Flux Goo." Be prepared for Taint to make a comeback in some form.

Aura costs. This is what is likely to bite a lot of players in the butt eventually. As a little experiment some time, start tallying up your Aura usage. Add up the costs of building your golem servant army. Watch what your Node does as you cook your chicken nuggets and you slap down your portable holes. The total might surprise you. Just about every Thaumcraft action is using up more Aura. Now walk around, explore the 100 block diameter around your house, or more. The nearby Nodes look healthy, don't they? Maybe a bit of Flux in the larger ones, but in most cases, they aren't all that drained of Aura. The Aura you've spent and the Aura remaining in your local network doesn't match up. So where is it all coming from?

The longer you've used your Thaumcraft workshop and then go cave diving anywhere nearby, the more you're going to find your Infused Ore drained of power and only dropping Dull Shards. I don't recommend mining those unless you have need for another basic wand, because they aren't good for anything else. An Infused Ore seems to be worth 100 Aura. It takes 3 shards of a specific variety to craft one of the specialized wands, and while these wands can last a while, they are finite, and they will eventually run out, just like your Diamond Pick. You have to keep finding more to replace them.

Let's do some math. The ore will drop an extra shard a bit less than 50% of the time with my testing, so let's go ahead and say it's 1.5 shards. To make the numbers more even, to make 3 of these specialized wands, you use up 9.5 Infused Ore. But it only takes 4 shards per wand! Well, it cost 50 Vis too. Let's look at golems. Normal cores are inferior, who would want to use those? Let's use one of the upgraded cores. That's 30 Vis for the core, 20 Vis and one shard to upgrade it, and 40-65 Vis depending on which type of golem you are making. That's close enough to 1.75 Infused Ore per golem. Stick one of the accessories on them and it bumps up to an even 2 per golem. A fully furnished Infernal Furnace is 4.5 ore. Each Boots of the Traveler (which wear out now) is 3. The rest of the Thaumium armor set to go with it comes out to a conveniently even 1 ore. (Don't wear the goggles in combat. They wear out too, and that's such a waste.) The Goggles are 2.5 ore each. The Portable Hole burns out 2.2 ores to craft, and then using it seems to use 1 Vis per block. Direwolf's secret passage he's been using it for? Every 11 uses burns out another ore. Wand of the Adept uses/burns out a total of 4.25 ore. A set of 4 Alembics is 5 ore when using the cheaper formula for the Arcane Wood. The Warded Jar collections for hoarding essences everybody likes? 10 Jars burns out 2 ores. Just setting up and equipping yourself, not even using anything that costs charges, burns out or uses up around 40 Infused Ore. Every phial you fill with Praecantio using the Magic Tallow method burns out an extra .4 of an ore, and you've already used up a great deal more Infused Ore than you probably thought you had. Aura is finite (without Crystals), and everyone is going to use up a minimum of 4000 Aura. If you want to add to that by using the Magic Tallow and Thaumium "exploits," you're welcome to do so. I'm not sure that I'd want to.
Crystal Clusters allow you to regenerate Aura, restore Dull Shards, and possibly create new Infused Ore out of plain Stone. That is awesome... but getting to the point where your Aura useage no longer matters takes a lot of effort. 1 Crystal Cluster generates 1 Aura every 5 minutes, however many tics that is. It uses up/burns out 4.75 ore per crystal, and each crystal needs to either be purely of a single type or have one of each type. When you've been playing a while and you're finally starting to worry about keeping your aura high, you will have already turned much of your remaining Infused Ores to Dull Shards. My testing indicates that each Crystal Cluster runs on its own timer for generating Aura. Adding another Crystal Cluster doesn't make it uniformly faster, it just gives you 1 more Aura within every 5 minutes. For anyone familiar with IC2 and the Mass Fabricator, it's much like feeding that machine scrap. As such, if you want 1 Dull Infused Stone to recharge every 5 minutes, you're going to need 100 Crystal Clusters. That's a total of 475 ore mined and burned out just to restore 1 per 5 minutes, else it takes 8.3 hours to restore 1 ore with 1 Crystal Cluster. The entire time, both the usage and the regeneration, you will be causing Flux as an added "bonus."
The moral of this story? Be nice to your local Aura. It's a royal pain to nurse back to health. Abuse the heck out of Mystcraft ages to lessen the impact on your section of the overworld.

PS:
Generating new Infused Ore is a related matter, but requires an extra step. A Node will not infuse a block of Stone unless it will still be at or higher than its "maximum" Aura after the infusing. Aura Nodes have a hard cap of their "maximum" Aura +10%, but the only reliable way to get an Aura Node higher than its max is via the Crystal Clusters. Long story short: You need to keep fusing Nodes until you build one up to 1000 or more max Aura, then start using Crystal Clusters to get it to 1100 (or higher) for each new Infused Ore you want it to generate.

drazath

Jul 29, 2019
Great write-up SilvasRuin, but man, after reading all of that I don't think I even want to bother with Thaumcraft in its current state. In tech I trust! :p

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Hahahah. Just think of Aura as Coal or maybe Iron and you won't feel so bad. It IS plentiful, it's just really hard to get it renewable. I just don't think the Tallow and Thaumium "exploits" are worth wasting Aura on.

AlexFury

Jul 29, 2019
Now, my question is, is the modder going to come up with things to USE all of the aspects regularly? I've noticed some, like Herba (leafs) really don't seem to be used in anything yet. And yet so many things you would use have it. (Just about any tool, boats, well, anything made of wood). I've currently got 2 or 3 jars full of it, in making other things. Outside of dumping it to a node/aura/flux, what can I do with it? Unless perhaps I can somehow pipe it in to a waterproofed Void pipe

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I will say this, get yourself a thaumium pickaxe and enchant it. The first one I enchanted at lvl 30 gave me fortune 3, efficiency 4, and unbreaking 3. I still had 2 diamonds left in my 7 diamond vein and got 4 out of that, then went around hitting all my coal and made another 3 from compressing coal into diamonds - have another stack left to do once I get enough power to pulverize em.

Now to rearrange this blaze spawner I found into something more useable so I can more easily kill them and steal their souls~

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Iirc Azanor doesn't even consider the mod 1/4th finished yet, so I think it's safe to say there will be tons more content in the future.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a question about auras. The area around my base doesn't have any aura nodes, as it was generated before TC was added to my server. The goggles quite literally show nothing. What happens to the flux I generate? Does it vanish into thin air? Will it eventually spawn a flux node?

Ace5000

Jul 29, 2019
Sano, the healing aspect, is produced by both potions of regeneration and instant health. 3 glass, 1 nether wart, 1 golden nugget, 1 melon, and 1 glowstone dust for 6 Sano, using instant healing.
2013-01-07_024610_zps97e4536b.png
2013-01-07_024612_zps0fea8872.png
More interestingly, you do NOT need to use armor to make Tutamen, the armor aspect. Fire resistance gives you a single Tutamen, so, if you're late game and have a steady supply of slimes and blazes, there you go. No need to waste valuables.
2013-01-07_024614_zps400f78ec.png

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Leather from cows also gives you Tutamen, and if you're using Mystcraft you should probably have a cow farm anyway considering books now use leather ><