sources for platinum?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
I want to build the platinum chests from metallurgy but getting a hold of platinum is a bit...rare. so far all i can do is pulverize ferrous ore to get the dust, but NEI reports theres an ore out there? does it generate in the world? if so where? in horizons at least.

Last edited:

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
To get 100% chance for shiny ingots (platinum) from ferrous ore, you'll want to pulverize redstone ore for the cinnabar, then use it in the induction furnace (or was it smelter? whichever one is in TE3, I get names mixed up all the time) with the ferrous ore and cinnabar for a 100% chance to get the shiny ingot.

I'm not sure about the platinum ore spawning in Horizons, but you can check the "precious metals" config for Metallurgy 3 to see the oregen chance for it, plus which heights it spawns in.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
just did...seems its an extremely rare item. about as rare as emerald, which i have not seen yet, after digging around 50 or so chunks at y-12) but yet i have 2 stacks of diamond blocks. somethings wrong with ore spawning in horizons ;) and no atlarus either...id like to make some tartarite sometime before new year ;)

frederic

Jul 29, 2019
adamantine is meant tobe stupidly hard to get in horizons i left 5 boring machines run 2 days (IRL) and hardly had enough for 16 ingots also look at y70+ they should spawn really high up in extreme hills but are really rare

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Silk touched redstone --> Pulverizer --> Cinnabar + Ferrous Ore --> Induction Smelter --> 100% Shiny Ingot

If you're willing to try (unsupported) Binnie's mod ExtraBees in 1.6.4, there are Precious Bees which product platinum directly. Note Precious Bees are among the most difficult to breed.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
adamantine is meant tobe stupidly hard to get in horizons i left 5 boring machines run 2 days (IRL) and hardly had enough for 16 ingots also look at y70+ they should spawn really high up in extreme hills but are really rare
I got real luck with terrain generation and found admantine at y level 50. Then a little more at Y level 17, along with atlarus to are tartarite.

Don't look for fantasy metals down deep, thye are all over the place. And in magical biomes there's even more, below a magic forest there should be lots of fantasy ores like adamantite mythril and the such.

Oh, and yes, ferrous and cinnabar is best platinum 2013.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
this is in horizons...i think all we have are forestry and magic bees...no extra bees

scratch that..no bees period in horizons.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Ehh Platinum... I beleive well let me just look here... Max Y of 128, Min Y of 0 and a 10 chance of finding 3 veins per chunk with a max of 3 ores... in other words, slightly rare.. and i'ts not a fantasy or it's a precious ore :D

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
ya but look at this:

fecba899-acc1-46c6-b538-e521a17511ab.png
fda31143-28ea-4683-8752-d873967f9f65.png

trust me, its rare. and it's not from lack of trying ;)

I have a double chest full of iron, others of lead, silver, tin, coal, had to start compressing redstone and working on a 3rd stack of diamond blocks. *blocks*. i burn most of the salt, bitumen, sulfur and other random things i get while looking for metals. ive done some y-40 mining and i get a lot of reactorcraft stuff, already making blocks of that stuff too.

but wheres my damm platinum.

Reactions: PierceSG

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
just did...seems its an extremely rare item. about as rare as emerald, which i have not seen yet, after digging around 50 or so chunks at y-12) but yet i have 2 stacks of diamond blocks. somethings wrong with ore spawning in horizons ;) and no atlarus either...id like to make some tartarite sometime before new year ;)

The average generation of Ferrous in Horizon is around 5 ore per chunk.

http://i.imgur.com/jrt0pX7.png

You'll also notice in the graphic that Atlarus is rarest of the Metallurgy ores. After quarrying 100 chunks I ended up with only 6 pieces. :eek:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
The average generation of Ferrous in Horizon is around 5 ore per chunk.

http://i.imgur.com/jrt0pX7.png

You'll also notice in the graphic that Atlarus is rarest of the Metallurgy ores. After quarrying 100 chunks I ended up with only 6 pieces. :eek:

I actually just noticed in the image... how did you get sunstone in the overworld? I thought it only spawned in the nether...

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
ya but look at this:

fecba899-acc1-46c6-b538-e521a17511ab.png
fda31143-28ea-4683-8752-d873967f9f65.png

trust me, its rare. and it's not from lack of trying ;)

I have a double chest full of iron, others of lead, silver, tin, coal, had to start compressing redstone and working on a 3rd stack of diamond blocks. *blocks*. i burn most of the salt, bitumen, sulfur and other random things i get while looking for metals. ive done some y-40 mining and i get a lot of reactorcraft stuff, already making blocks of that stuff too.

but wheres my damm platinum.
Ferrous ore. Don't bother with platinum ore, it's nearly impossible. Get ferrous and induction furnace with cinnabar. It's your best bet.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
yep thats what im doing. already got a stack of platinum ingots going. i only mention the ore because it shows up in NEI...and it is in the Metallurgy configs as something that should show up in your digs. might have to tweak it to actually get some to show up...i get it that it has to be rare, but not so rare that you have to tear up a continent to get a few blocks.

and oddly enough..emeralds never show up. any reason why? apparently in the pic of quarried blocks, emeralds arent even in the list. not missing them, im not looking for it..but curious why a vanilla ore just vanished.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I actually just noticed in the image... how did you get sunstone in the overworld? I thought it only spawned in the nether...

I remember seeing it on the floor of the quarry. It really stood out, surrounded by lava or obsidian. Perhaps it was one of those special overworld spawns, like finding nether hives surrounded in glowstone?