Show Your Agrarian Skies world

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Some new pics has been added in my first post. Im working on my biodome at the moment. My army of butterflies helps me to get new trees.
I just went back and watched it. I really like how you used a nice variety of trees to partly obscure the dome from ground level. it gives what would otherwise be a pretty plain glass dome some much needed texture and depth.
btw. what are the dimensions of your main Island? thinking about how much you have fitted inside it I am guessing it must be pretty big.

Matul

Jul 29, 2019
I just went back and watched it. I really like how you used a nice variety of trees to partly obscure the dome from ground level. it gives what would otherwise be a pretty plain glass dome some much needed texture and depth.
btw. what are the dimensions of your main Island? thinking about how much you have fitted inside it I am guessing it must be pretty big.

My main island is on top something around 60x60 and down where my mobfarm is around 45. I started early on this map with my mobfarm so i build it under my flat wooden and ugly platform. The first time i saw my main island from the side, ... it was a prompt decision to build something around.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Here is a little tidbit from my progress on my playthrough of Agrarian skies:
2014-04-04_23.31.51.png
The first house is taking shape. it's in it's third iteration now, and the bottom half has gotten it's final shape. a Lot of detailing is still missing ofc, but I did get some of the hanging bushes placed on the ground level back porch. (a back porch with nothing but an endless drop below it. damn that was hairy to build)
This house is going to be the stonemasons house, and the first floor is going to be a workshop/storage area for cobble,smoothstone and other stone products as needed. I'l perhaps make a house next to it with the functionality for making the mossy and cracked varieties next door as well. If I have room, I will also put a clayworkers house on it, thus this Island will cover most of my building materials needs. there is room inside for a mob grinder to dirt setup as well, but i can also do that with carrots or some other food item.
I'm definitely open to ideas on that, since I have a hard time visualizing anything nice that far ahead.

Reactions: Padfoote

Matul

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah i understand it. Sometimes i build something 3 or 4 times till its good enough for me. Its like a spooky picture in my head that gets clearer and clearer while i build.

At the beginning i used potatoes and carrots for the dirt production but later i changed to rotten flesh because i dont have to harvest all the time. I just connect a barrel with the ender upgrade at the grinder with my dirt barrel in my workshop so i got allways fresh dirt.

Its a nice idea with your production Island i like it to watch you progress. ... looks nice till now!

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah i understand it. Sometimes i build something 3 or 4 times till its good enough for me. Its like a spooky picture in my head that gets clearer and clearer while i build.

At the beginning i used potatoes and carrots for the dirt production but later i changed to rotten flesh because i dont have to harvest all the time. I just connect a barrel with the ender upgrade at the grinder with my dirt barrel in my workshop so i got allways fresh dirt.

Its a nice idea with your production Island i like it to watch you progress. ... looks nice till now!
That is the best description of how the creative process works for me as well.
The really strange part, is that when the Ideas form, they exist in a sort of wordless void, ghostly and unclear. tantalizing and with a great feeling of needing to be created. but as the design progresses it's like the fog lifts. not evenly, but in fits and starts, and sometimes it will even return a bit here and there until i go back and redo parts of my work.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Curious are you using drawbridges to get to the islands without bridges? Or the secret flight? >:3

Also my still wood age world is too crappy to show :v

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Curious are you using drawbridges to get to the islands without bridges? Or the secret flight? >:3

I'm too early in the quest path to have any flight, so cobble bridges everywhere. but I'm not showing my temp facilities if i can avoid it.
once I am further along in the development of the world I will be using decorative bridges as much as possible, or if the distances are too far, pretend that Airship travel is used by the locals, and go with the thaumostatic harness or the phantom bridge from blood magic. maybe even both. drawbridges have their uses, but they don't look right when deployed as bridges imho.

Matul

Jul 29, 2019

Its the first time i used Blood Magic but i love it. The Phantom Bridge is really perfect to build something above the void. With the air sigil you may easy jump from island to island ... or prevents you from visiting the void.
But to get from island to island i use the Teleposer. Only for my netherportal island i use the drawbridge but its a short distance and it dont really look nice.

At the beginning i tried to connect a few islands with bridges but it looks more like a mutant spider from top the islands ... means ugly as hell.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Its the first time i used Blood Magic but i love it. The Phantom Bridge is really perfect to build something above the void. With the air sigil you may easy jump from island to island ... or prevents you from visiting the void.
But to get from island to island i use the Teleposer. Only for my netherportal island i use the drawbridge but its a short distance and it dont really look nice.

At the beginning i tried to connect a few islands with bridges but it looks more like a mutant spider from top the islands ... means ugly as hell.

yeah, there is just something terribly wrong with a bunch of Islands that line up enough to enable bridges to go at only certain angles. bridges are a big pain to deal with, that I think fake Airship travel is going to be my main method.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Oh blood magic. There's a better flight >:3

I won't spoil it for you though.

Reactions: Padfoote

Matul

Jul 29, 2019
Oh blood magic. There's a better flight >:3

I won't spoil it for you though.

i know ... i just dont test it ... love my Blood Armor and the other way to fly ... aehm hover looks a bit crazy.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my world so far... just want to say I actually learned about Agrarian Skies from this thread and I have loved playing it over the last two weeks.

It is nothing close to spectacular, but I am sort of just getting started. The plan so far is to have a structured "city" with streets and buildings that serve a function and underneath and above the city have floating islands that are purely aesthetic.
The majority of the island from a shot up high
The island from a (unfinished) road headed away from my island
My first aesthetic island underneath my main island {WIP} (Need to find a way to keep the water from freezing)
A shot of the island down below on it (the grass hasn't finished growing yet, my apologies.)
The beginnings of my city complete with walrus hut

Thanks for looking!

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Another small update on my progress.
2014-04-06_11.28.20.png
This is the view from the starter platform, haven't done much, except fill in the upper floor a bit.
2014-04-06_11.28.45.png
the first floor. The chest is for microblocks made from these materials. I figured I might as well store them here. to the left is a barrel with stone bricks. that barrel is the only one not being filled through some automation, I just needed something to fill in the space, and it is kinda in the same product category as the others.
2014-04-06_11.29.24.png
This is the secret underground production machinery. I went for a very compact design instead of a fast one. production speed is more or less irrelevant. I spend so much time fiddling with my builds, that the barrels more or less stay full all the time regardless. getting the extruder->crucible -> extruder setup to work was a real pita. had to use lots of covers and stuff in order to make everything fit without connecting where it shouldn't

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
My first aesthetic island underneath my main island {WIP} (Need to find a way to keep the water from freezing)

A suggestion to keep the water from freezing, they need to be in a high light level, so you could use things like glowstone to pave the bottom of the river, not sure how that would work for aesthetics.

If you were wanting to hide it, perhaps you could use carpenters blocks, because they're transparent for light calculations, no matter what block you use to make them look like. So you can use a layer of Glowstone (or your choice of light) layer of carpenters blocks + dirt facade, and then the water, and that should stop the ice from forming.

Your river will glow at night, but that's fine in my opinion

Reactions: Gimply Goose

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Also for the freezing water; make a saw and cut down some glowstone blocks down into nooks and place one on each block that freezes. They're extremely small but should still put off light.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Also for the freezing water; make a saw and cut down some glowstone blocks down into nooks and place one on each block that freezes. They're extremely small but should still put off light.

funny that you mention glowstone nooks... my very first reward pack had half a stack of them. they are practically invisible, but work as well as torches.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
funny that you mention glowstone nooks... my very first reward pack had half a stack of them. they are practically invisible, but work as well as torches.

That's where I got the idea! :D

It was one of my first ones as well. I ended up crafting them back up to blocks though for later use.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Basically what my plan is at this point is to change out the bottom of the river with microblocks and hide the glowstone nooks underneath the river. This is assuming light still passes through microblocks.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Basically what my plan is at this point is to change out the bottom of the river with microblocks and hide the glowstone nooks underneath the river. This is assuming light still passes through microblocks.

That's a shame. It gave me an idea to make a river like the moonflow from FFX.

12-moonflow.jpg

Little lights you can hardly see. Though I guess nitor would be more suited to that. I hate TC though.