Server hosting

sibomots

Jul 29, 2019
Magic-8 Ball says: "What have you got to lose?"

All indications point to a shoe-string operation (emphasis added by me). I got a query response from them just a few minutes ago:

Ticket ID: #109494
Subject: Minecraft server -
Our premier plans feature superior hardware such as dual Intel Xeon E3s and SSDs additionally our premier nodes are under loaded to ensure the best performance. Our premier plan also includes a dedicated IP and DDoS mitigation services. Both types of nodes are on 100mbps lines or faster.
All servers are provided with FTP access, unfortunately for security purposes we do not allow SSH connections into our nodes.

Hogwash. If the server is segregated as a virtual host it cannot touch the other clients data and I doubt they configure virtual hosts to allow promiscuous mode access to the Ethernet hardware interface.

Shrug. Meh.. FTP is fine I guess. A pain in the rump for handling quick edits. Also, cannot "tail the log file" either.. Bummer. If all you want to do is run MC, and don't care about monitoring the situation, it seems fine. Oh and without shell access you can't setup iptables to drop packets from bad seeds who have already been banned.

Slimestiker

Jul 29, 2019
I use the 2Gb one or the 3Gb one ?

What do you mean by passing he hat around?

And can use MY own modpacks in this host?

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I use the 2Gb one or the 3Gb one ?

What do you mean by passing he hat around?

And can use MY own modpacks in this host?

I found this Thread sicne I´m watching out for a new host, too.

But atm not a lot of alternatives here :( hoped to find some list made. Google will help then.

I realy think for your wishes a 2GB Server with FTP acces gives you all you need. Since no plugins will be installed.
FTP is important so you can edit config and also add/remove aditional mods.
FTP = you get acces to the file system so you can move/delete/add folders and data. like it would be your minecraft game folder.

Edit: and with the "hat" he means tel lout "freinds" to pay their part! Don´t be stupid and pay it on your own :p

sibomots

Jul 29, 2019
To see what the fuss was about I setup an account with the Host-Blaze folks.

Think of it as a walled-garden, with really high walls ;-)

It's so-so. I had to resort to use a GUI FTP program like FileZilla so I could do recursive file transfers.

I have two servers. One hosted at AllGamers LLC and Host-Blaze. I spend a little more at AllGamers but I get a shell with them.

I'm a Unix guy by trade so I prefer the shell access so I can manipulate files in the game rather than have to copy every bloody file up.

If you want a real cheap but satisfying server, use Blaze-Host. If you want a lot more control and are familiar with the shell, insist upon getting a host service that provides a shell.

Rating them, I give AllGamer 9/10
Pro: Shell access, good network connection, fast CPU, McMyAdmin service.
Con: $$$. Each 512Mb costs $10.

and Host-Blaze 7/10
Pro: Cheap, good network, so-so CPU.
Con: No shell, weak GUI for administration (no McMyAdmin)

You and your friends should be fine at Host-Blaze. Good luck.

Yes, "pass the hat" means to get your buddies to chip in and help pay for the server. A couple bucks each ! ;-)

Slimestiker

Jul 29, 2019
I don´t any experience with unix/lunix software so,« I don't think that shell would worth with,

Thanks

Slimestiker

Jul 29, 2019
What if I run the server for like one year.

We will want to have multiple quarrys each and maybe some chunk loaders, do you think that a 2/3 Gb server can handle that?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
It might, although memory isn't everything. You need a powerful processor and fast storage, to name a few.

Slimestiker

Jul 29, 2019
Now i´m thinking about Host-Blaze or CloudFrost Hosting and the main diference I see is the price and the SSD space wich is better on FrostCloud.

What do you think?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Stay the hell away from both, I just took a look at CloudFrost and they are just a GSP from what I can tell. They give you unlimited storage, but there is no indication of other hardware specifications. The hardware is most likely shitty.

Host-Blaze is the same situation, they have nice packages, but they are way over priced and have little information on what the actual hardware is.

On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being extremely, how comfortable are you with learning how stuff works through research? Because if your spending more than $40 US per month on a server, you could be running a dedicated machine instead, from places like https://www.ovh.co.uk/ or https://www.hetzner.de/en/

Slimestiker

Jul 29, 2019
Host-Blaze cpu is an intel Xenon 3[DOUBLEPOST=1373838491][/DOUBLEPOST]I´m not running server in a dedicated machines because i can't use them

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Host-Blaze cpu is an intel Xenon 3[DOUBLEPOST=1373838491][/DOUBLEPOST]I´m not running server in a dedicated machines because i can't use them

Yeah, but that just means its an Ivy Bridge Xeon chip, still doesn't tell me which one. Also, your sharing that with everyone else on the box. If they oversold and have 50 people sharing it, imagine how much it will suck. You can use dedicated machines, your just not willing to learn how to or ask for help, you can throw any OS you want on a dedicated box and go from there.

CloudFrost Hosting

Jul 29, 2019
Here are our specs :)

Advanced (Hardware Specs):
* Technology: Sandy Bridge E
* Processor: Intel Xeon E5-1650
* Cores: 6
* Threads: 12
* RAM: 64 GB DDR3 ECC
* Raid: LSI MegaRAID 9271 6Gbps (1GB DDR3 Cache)
* Harddrive: SSD CacheCade

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
Wear leveling is a liability for SSD. SSD has a use, but not for all the data stores for MC.

For faster boot up, mounting all but the world files should be on SSD. Modern HDD are fine for the rest, esp if RAID is used.

The main differential factor for me is the access. A virtual debian system with root is a requirement.

For all of its flaws, McMyAdmin trumps the other management systems.

Also the location geographically and network is important.

Running traceroute to prospective hosts can illuminate problems you might face with network latency in a typical connection.

To me, the HW is a wash. Network, and root shell access trump the rest.

minecraftserverdeals offers the best value for root, network and Gb RAM per $.

Close second is AllGamer LLC.

HostBlaze blows chunks.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Try Fragment? http://clients.fragnet.net/aff.php?aff=51511 You could get a 2GB Minecraft Game Server for just a few dollars under your budget. (Should run 5 people without any problems or if you take more care of managing the thing you could cap it off at 10). Although I got the 2GB plan, I'm using a 3GB plan right now to make sure I can house 10 without major limitation of things and better gameplay. (Not sure yet? You can upgrade and/or downgrade as you please!)