Seeking: Getting Started Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Problem with a getting started for steve's carts is it's more a set of tools to do a varied and widely scattered array of things then a set of tired machines that build on one another.

Very hard to think in terms of "guide".

Highlights, possible tasks it can solve, a best of cart configuration list with costs or descriptions of tools that it can function as, ordered by complexity costs with descriptions, maybe?

Also, it's one of the mods that is vastly different after interaction with GT.

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
Problem with a getting started for steve's carts is it's more a set of tools to do a varied and widely scattered array of things then a set of tired machines that build on one another.

Very hard to think in terms of "guide".

Highlights, possible tasks it can solve, a best of cart configuration list with costs or descriptions of tools that it can function as, ordered by complexity costs with descriptions, maybe?

Also, it's one of the mods that is vastly different after interaction with GT.

I small guide using different configs would be good, such as a intro mining setup, a regular farm or tree farm setup, or a base defense setup, etc.

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
Covering how to use the assembler and to make a few simple carts like a miner and a farmer would give the user enough to build on. Almost like a Let's Play, but in written form. We already have plenty of in depth pages on the list of modules with their costs.

FausticSun

Jul 29, 2019
Seeing that nobody has created a Steve's Cart Guide, I've created a rather rough one that can be found here. Explaining cargo managers was a pain though and could use a rewrite.

Deader

Jul 29, 2019
FTB (and FTB community) noob here,

Just found this thread while searching for guides. Thinking about bringing these guides over to the new wiki (ftbwiki.org). Would that be alright?

There currently is no "Guides" category like there was on the old wiki. If I transferred, should one be created, or should I just link a Guide on the respective mod's Wiki page?

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
FTB (and FTB community) noob here,

Just found this thread while searching for guides. Thinking about bringing these guides over to the new wiki (ftbwiki.org). Would that be alright?

There currently is no "Guides" category like there was on the old wiki. If I transferred, should one be created, or should I just link a Guide on the respective mod's Wiki page?

Um actually no you may not copy info from the official wiki to an unofficial wiki. Use it as a reference sure but copying directly no.

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
Seeing that nobody has created a Steve's Cart Guide, I've created a rather rough one that can be found here. Explaining cargo managers was a pain though and could use a rewrite.
If the Steve's Carts' guide is done, it will be the first major mod to be complete with guides on the wiki!

Deader

Jul 29, 2019
Um actually no you may not copy info from the official wiki to an unofficial wiki. Use it as a reference sure but copying directly no.

My mistake, I was under the impression that ftbwiki.org was the new official wiki, so I thought I'd just be helping in migrating content. Didn't mean to imply plagiarism!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I was under that impression because I read something to that effect. The author of that statement may have misunderstood, or I may have misunderstood him. Again, sorry to sound like I was wanting to lift content for another wiki! I just wanna help the official one.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
The official wiki can be found here . I am aware that all the unofficial wikis (3 that I know of) are causing confusion. Until the new website design is up with links to the official wiki, and the official wiki is complete it is rather difficult and quite frustrating.

Fonso_s

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I can help translating the wiki into Spanish if you like, things that don't have others unofficial wikis, as I read that Steve's Cart is mostly complete.

Edit: I will not going to use Google translate and I'll have the game opened to put the same names to the blocks that they have in the game, also those that still have them in English I'll put them in English and in brackets I'll put the name I think is more appropriated. I have read the wiki thread where says that there's no more applications to the translator team, also I have read the way that translations have to be done. Hope that as the PAX East has been applications would be opened in a short period of time.

If someone is doing this already and I haven't read it I'm ready to help.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I can help translating the wiki into Spanish if you like, things that don't have others unofficial wikis, as I read that Steve's Cart is mostly complete.

Edit: I will not going to use Google translate and I'll have the game opened to put the same names to the blocks that they have in the game, also those that still have them in English I'll put them in English and in brackets I'll put the name I think is more appropriated. I have read the wiki thread where says that there's no more applications to the translator team, also I have read the way that translations have to be done. Hope that as the PAX East has been applications would be opened in a short period of time.

We are opening up the wiki. People will be able to create accounts and translate or make new pages without applying. Really good article creators will get pulled onto staff.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
We are opening up the wiki. People will be able to create accounts and translate or make new pages without applying. Really good article creators will get pulled onto staff.
is this ready now? if so i'd love to start helping with the wiki

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
It's in progress, I'm setting up the required templates and stuff. I've already sent the new namespace and user rights code and some info to stop spam to Jaded for reviewing. After the changes are pushed, you'll be able to start editing.
Meanwhile, you can see how we are letting the community participate in the community portal (it's still a draft). If you have suggestions or questions, you can contact me.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
It's in progress, I'm setting up the required templates and stuff. I've already sent the new namespace and user rights code and some info to stop spam to Jaded for reviewing. After the changes are pushed, you'll be able to start editing.
Meanwhile, you can see how we are letting the community participate in the community portal (it's still a draft). If you have suggestions or questions, you can contact me.
Okay. Thanks from the confirmation. I'll definitely be helping out once you are ready.

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019

Wow, I didn't actually expect someone to read those stuff. :D I'm glad that the community has considered those articles useful.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Is the Steve carts wiki still needing to be made? If so I will attempt to make one.

Yes, Steve's Carts still requires a getting started guide. Please be sure to follow the guidelines in the OP if you would like to make one.

Status
Not open for further replies.