Seeking: Getting Started Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
Yes we'll link relevant terms to their respective articles, but we will not be writing wiki articles on Vanilla blocks or topics unless a mod changes how they are crafted or work. We haven't decided if we'll just link to the minecraft wiki or just assume the user knows vanilla already.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
Simple placeholder, just to let other volunteers know I am working on BC atm. ~70% done.
Looking forward to reviewing it! Did you see my clarification regarding the IC2 guide? It's a few posts back. Just making sure to give ya a heads up.

Vegoraptor

Jul 29, 2019
Well, as far as I can see, neither GT nor any other mod does significant changes, just adds more functionallity. However, I have just concentrated on Buildcraft itself, as there is no mod only expanding it.

SunnyDaze

Jul 29, 2019
I took a stab at Forestry. I'm pretty new to MC mods but Forestry has become one of my favorites. Writing it helped me to really sink in the knowledge, and I thought a perspective fresh off trials and tribulations might be good for a Getting Started guide.

I would love feedback, especially if there are things I'm mistaken on, or anything important that should be noted (that maybe I'm not aware of).

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
Well, as far as I can see, neither GT nor any other mod does significant changes, just adds more functionallity. However, I have just concentrated on Buildcraft itself, as there is no mod only expanding it.
Hmm. I could've sworn you said you were working on an IC2 guide. My bad. Reeding iz hards. Although GT can change the quarry recipe to use a diamond drill instead of pick axe.

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
Aaand finished, here you go, a short starting guide for BC.
Hope it is acceptable.
For the Getting started guides, we're seeking more of a guided playthrough of your first few hours with the mod. Your information is great at defining what everything does, and I'm sure the information can be used on other pages in the wiki, but as for a getting started guide I'm seeking something that helps the user decide what items they need to get started, and then what, when, and why to build things in BC. Checkout the forestry guide that SunnyDaze just posted.

Here's a submission for Mystcraft

I will also be starting up my own blog shortly, so I may be linking articles from there as I write them
Good coverage. It will benefit once we have other mystcraft articles to link to such as how to create a world w/o instability, and the different configuration options the mod offers. I may add feathers as a necessary resource to getting started.

I took a stab at Forestry. I'm pretty new to MC mods but Forestry has become one of my favorites. Writing it helped me to really sink in the knowledge, and I thought a perspective fresh off trials and tribulations might be good for a Getting Started guide.

I would love feedback, especially if there are things I'm mistaken on, or anything important that should be noted (that maybe I'm not aware of).
I'll have to spend a bit more time for accuracy, but the guide is great. You may have actually a bit more depth then necessary - some of the math and other info could be in sub articles on things such as Choosing an Engine. Your order is very logical and explains to the user why each item is useful

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
OK I'll let Nibin know that there are two Forestry articles so he can combine them as needed.
I'll be going down your list, and hope to have them all done by next week at the latest. I should have the big ones covered by Friday. I'll link 'em as I get done with 'em, and you are free to use any of them as source material for the wiki.

Are there any in particular you'd like immediately for me to start on?

Vegoraptor

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, thing is if I explain something it ts either overly complicated and filled with gobbledygook, or in this minimalistic style.
So, if you need something like that, you know where to find me.

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be going down your list, and hope to have them all done by next week at the latest. I should have the big ones covered by Friday. I'll link 'em as I get done with 'em, and you are free to use any of them as source material for the wiki.

Are there any in particular you'd like immediately for me to start on?
I can probably cover tc and cc, so the big ones remaining would be ic, bc, rc, and factorization

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I can probably cover tc and cc, so the big ones remaining would be ic, bc, rc, and factorization
Here's a Buildcraft guide. I can probably finish IC, RC, and FC by the end of the day, or tomorrow at latest.

I'll also make clear designations in the IC guide where GregTech monkeys around with core recipes, what the originals are, and what you can expect to see in the pack.

It's just as well you have CC covered, mine would probably consist of "Here's a computer, here's a turtle, here's a screen. If you want it to do crazy stuff, it runs on LUA. Check out details on linked website".

SunnyDaze

Jul 29, 2019
I'll have to spend a bit more time for accuracy, but the guide is great. You may have actually a bit more depth then necessary - some of the math and other info could be in sub articles on things such as Choosing an Engine. Your order is very logical and explains to the user why each item is useful

Thanks for the feedback. It's really challenging to break down a simple guide for the first hour or two of gameplay (for any of the mods) because there's just so much wonderful and overwhelming stuff that you want to gush about.

Very happy to contribute. :)

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
after reading both the forestry guides im only slightly less confused to how to get started.. lots of good info in them, but could you guys possibly do something like http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Tutorial:First_Steps from the industrial wiki? To make it more of an idiots guide, for people like me who cant figure this stuff out without our hands being held the first time we make things. maybe assume that the person has all the ore and gems needed to get going, but state what each machine takes.. IF i didnt want to automate tree farming i wouldnt even bother its so confusing.

Perhaps this is how you power yourself.
this is exactly how you make the logger.
this is how you build the area around the logger.

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
after reading both the forestry guides im only slightly less confused to how to get started.. lots of good info in them, but could you guys possibly do something like http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Tutorial:First_Steps from the industrial wiki? To make it more of an idiots guide, for people like me who cant figure this stuff out without our hands being held the first time we make things. maybe assume that the person has all the ore and gems needed to get going, but state what each machine takes.. IF i didnt want to automate tree farming i wouldnt even bother its so confusing.

Perhaps this is how you power yourself.
this is exactly how you make the logger.
this is how you build the area around the logger.

When the articles are edited by the wiki team they'll included recipe images, and screenshots. I think the images will help you out a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.