RP2 Wires and Signal strength.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
How far does the signal go with RP2 wires and is there a way to strengthen it, like a repeater?

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
What happens to signal strength when Red Alloy Wire meets Redstone Dust and vice versa?

There's never a reason to use the two together apart from silliness, but it would be based on the medium you were transferring the signal to. Dust is a vanilla thing that you use because it's all you've got. If someone is using dust when they've got access to RP2 they're just being silly.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I was thinking if a max-strength (16) dust signal gets converted to a max-strength wire signal (255) then a single piece of dust would act as a signal booster without the delay of a repeater. Personally I'd use a WR-CBE transmitter to cover that much distance.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking if a max-strength (16) dust signal gets converted to a max-strength wire signal (255) then a single piece of dust would act as a signal booster without the delay of a repeater. Personally I'd use a WR-CBE transmitter to cover that much distance.

Er... are you talking 1.5.x Redstone strength mechanics? If so, you do realize RP2 is back on 1.4.x so at the moment it is impossible to say how Elo is going to handle the new 1.5.x mechanics.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Wire goes to redstone, but redstone doesnt go into wire.
Ah didn't know that, thanks. *Edit* Hm, that means that a Redwire/Redstone interface would make a cheap one-way signal gate. Might be useful.
Er... are you talking 1.5.x Redstone strength mechanics? If so, you do realize RP2 is back on 1.4.x so at the moment it is impossible to say how Elo is going to handle the new 1.5.x mechanics.
Redstone has always had signal strength hasn't it? I thought that 1.5 just adds tools that take advantage of it.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I got schooled on that a while ago... apparently red alloy wire does have signal strength, just a much higher level (as poeople pointed out).

In fact, if you lay down 250 pieces of red alloy wire and then transfer the signal to regular redstone, it should supposedly transfer as strength 5, because that's the level that is left at that point. But since most of the time you'll have only short lengths of red alloy wire, any transfer you see will be strength 16, because that is the maximum regular redstone can accept.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
In fact, if you lay down 250 pieces of red alloy wire and then transfer the signal to regular redstone, it should supposedly transfer as strength 5, because that's the level that is left at that point.
Actually this is only case that it won't work, red alloy wire can only emit to redstone dust signal of strength 15, which probably is limitation of 1.4.6 vanilla (there are many issues with redpower, handling redstone is not one of them). So it won't emit to redstone dust in this case (but will power things like lamps/repeaters or gates).

A lot of people think that redstone can't transfer power to red alloy wire, because you don't see it. However it is powered and has very low strength (max is 255 and from redstone you have maximum 15 - 1 for decay = 14) so it looks almost like unpowered. Transferring through normal redstone is the only way of using decay mechanics in RP2 without building a lot of cable which can make some systems more compact or easier to expand (that's why I used it in FZ crystalizer setup to move frames with routers to correct tower). Vanilla redstone appeal to me, because it is simple, has very Lego-like feeling. The biggest problem with it is timing (repeater loops anyone), but it can be easily solved with 1.5 hoppers and comparators.