Remember that boring old nether?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
The sulfur clouds can be harvested and turned into sulfur dust which can be used to make gunpowder. The ash clouds can be turned into coal in a similar way. Nothing about Natura is useless or pure fluff.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
In my humble opinion anything that can help the nether be more useful is a good thing. Nether Quartz is nice but other then making decorative blocks, a daylight sensor and comparators (of which how many does one really need at most maybe ten) what else is useful? The fortresses are one stop shop as is soul sand and netherrack in general.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I used two default quarries and got enough netherrack to fuel my magmatic engines until the heat death of the universe. But I keep making them because the rate of return from the Nether Ores mod is so insane that it's almost pointless to make overworld quarries anymore.

Considering one nether lapis ore pulverizes into 12 lapis, the Luck modifier from TConstruct makes it more than worth the price. Between Natura and Nether Ores, cobblestone is the only limiting factor from being entirely self-sufficient in the Nether...of course, just plop down an Igneous Extruder.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I used two default quarries and got enough netherrack to fuel my magmatic engines until the heat death of the universe. But I keep making them because the rate of return from the Nether Ores mod is so insane that it's almost pointless to make overworld quarries anymore.

Considering one nether lapis ore pulverizes into 12 lapis, the Luck modifier from TConstruct makes it more than worth the price. Between Natura and Nether Ores, cobblestone is the only limiting factor from being entirely self-sufficient in the Nether...of course, just plop down an Igneous Extruder.
Can the igneous extruder hold water in the Nether? I was under the impression that it went poof when you tried.

Keep your Igneous Extruder in the overworld, then access it through enderstorage

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Can the igneous extruder hold water in the Nether? I was under the impression that it went poof when you tried.

Keep your Igneous Extruder in the overworld, then access it through enderstorage
Why would water evaporate from it? Afaik it doesn't evaporate from tanks either. At least I used to carry a portable tank with water to the Nether to make obsidian there in an Extruder and I don't think they've changed that. The only way I know that water disappears in the Nether is if you try to place it, but in any storage container it's fine.

On topic: Hehe, now I have a voice with all of Lambert's posts :p

Also, it's not just the Nether worldgen that looks great imho. I've been generating worlds in the 1.5 Beta and I've never found a Jungle temple in survival and now I had 2 worlds in a row where my spawn was practically next to one. I've also seen a surface Zombie and Skeleton spawner really close to each other and an Oil Spout reaching to the clouds (though I think that's a bug caused by Natura's clouds). I kinda miss the super green Meadows from EBXL and the Red Wastelands, but other than that the world gen is really awesome.
Too bad the 1.5 Beta pack is very unstable for me (I can't put on Goggles of Revealing and it crashes randomly quite often as well xD).

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
you're short of the mark by about 50%
pulverising Nether Lapis gives you 24 lapis.

I am a big fan of the Nether being a high-risk-high-reward version of mining. Our mod selections make it so that it's crazy not to mine there, but equally insane to try to. People can die there even with 10 armor and flight simply because things can go so wrong so quickly, and the place becomes so relentlessly hostile to you if you start mining there.

Honestly, I dunno why FTB ultimate doesn't do this. There really isn't any downside to adding in Nether Ores.[DOUBLEPOST=1370026322][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's Dravarden, he hates everything.

Actually I think it's just trolling, I've never seen anyone have any meaningful conversation with him. It's always just hate.

I had to disable ignore just to figure out half this thread. C'mon guys, use the forum features. Ignore is blissful.

Reactions: Lambert2191

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing I forgot to mention is mining in the Nether and having your ore vein explode and open up a pocket of lava that covers you and kills you before you have a chance to get out. The element of FUN! involved is pretty high, but totally worth it.

Reactions: KirinDave

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

This is actually something I muddled on when I was first proposing Nether Ores. What balances it out for us is Osmium and Certus quartz. You really want these things and you cannot get them anywhere but overworld mining. Further, they're rare and unpredictable spawns, so you have to do a LOT of overworld mining. Even further, Certus Quartz penalizes you for mining it with non-player methods; fortune picks are hugely more profitable than a quarry.

To me, this is a net positive. Go stripmine hell, and leave those ugly holes out of our pristine biomes-o-plenty worlds. But you will still be mining for quartz and osmium pretty much throughout your entire game. That and the fact that dungeon drops can be made very attractive in a well-configured modpack (portal guns and division sigils come to mind)... I think this is actually a very nice balance point.

I posted last night that Extra Utilities' "Sonic Goggles" are a huge win for modpacks containing AE because they help you find the random Certus Quartz veins buried in walls when hand mining.

The big problem is that Dartcraft and TConstruct both have macerate/smelting methods that automatically avoid aggro-ing pigmen. Hopefully powercrystals will fix that at some point, because once you know that hand-mining in the nether is also very profitable.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The big problem is that Dartcraft and TConstruct both have macerate/smelting methods that automatically avoid aggro-ing pigmen. Hopefully powercrystals will fix that at some point, because once you know that hand-mining in the nether is also very profitable.
Yea, but isn't auto-smelting explicitly non-compatible with Luck? One or the other but not both? So you'd have to make yourself a pick designed specifically for nether ore mining with the auto-smelting, and you lose out on half the resources that way as well.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Oh? How so?

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
This is actually something I muddled on when I was first proposing Nether Ores. What balances it out for us is Osmium and Certus quartz. You really want these things and you cannot get them anywhere but overworld mining. Further, they're rare and unpredictable spawns, so you have to do a LOT of overworld mining. Even further, Certus Quartz penalizes you for mining it with non-player methods; fortune picks are hugely more profitable than a quarry.

To me, this is a net positive. Go stripmine hell, and leave those ugly holes out of our pristine biomes-o-plenty worlds. But you will still be mining for quartz and osmium pretty much throughout your entire game. That and the fact that dungeon drops can be made very attractive in a well-configured modpack (portal guns and division sigils come to mind)... I think this is actually a very nice balance point.

I posted last night that Extra Utilities' "Sonic Goggles" are a huge win for modpacks containing AE because they help you find the random Certus Quartz veins buried in walls when hand mining.

Definitely agree on the Certus Quartz. I actually restarted a world because I couldn't find enough Quartz to even get my ME network started.

My wife hates when I find portal guns in dungeons. My excessive laughing can be annoying at times. With a portal gun, you will never be lost again.

I also haven't tried the sonic goggles. Those will be next on my list. Extra Utilities is one of the most consistently epic mods I've ever seen.