Solved Reducing logging level

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really need to see all the [INFO], [WARNING], [FINE], [FINEST] messages in the logs, as these mostly don't even indicate problems and are instead normal operation of the server. So having them recorded is generally a waste of resources which are otherwise precious on a FTB server. How do I go about reducing the logging to [ERROR] or [SEVERE]?

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Figured this out. ForgeModLoader is looking for a file called logging.properties in the config folder. However, this file does not exist in the current recommended version of Ultimate. So instead, FML defaults to ALL and ignores global environment settings in Java (which is silly). To fix this, just copy the logging.properties files from your java lib folder to your server's config folder and edit the logging level within that file to what you want it to be. Setting the log level to SEVERE will disable can't keep up messages and log spam from mods operating normally.

Also, Applied Energistics thinks that starting should be logged at the severe level, which puts starting that mod in the same category as memory leaks and crashes.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
So I found the file in the Java bin folder and did my edits to it. However, I'm not very clear on where to put the file. My server runs on ubuntu 12.04. The path to my ftbserver.jar file is:

/home/minecraft/servers/direwolf

So would the logging.properties file go in /home/minecraft/servers/direwolf/config?

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
So I found the file in the Java bin folder and did my edits to it. However, I'm not very clear on where to put the file. My server runs on ubuntu 12.04. The path to my ftbserver.jar file is:

/home/minecraft/servers/direwolf

So would the logging.properties file go in /home/minecraft/servers/direwolf/config?

Correct, it goes in with the vast majority of config files.

Bbaass_TMH

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so I got that file and put it in our server config path /opt/ftb/config , but I don't know how to have it only change the logging level of one mod (IndustrialCraft 2). I still want to see all other messages in console and server.log.0, as those are helpful when troubleshooting a crash.
I don't know all that much about setting up a server, and I was mainly given admin rank on our server for maintenance and restarts in the event of crashes.
So since FML doesn't generate a logging.properties file by default, I don't know what need to be in it to have everything log as it does without a logging.properties file, but only change the logging level of IC2 from INFO to SEVERE.

Can you guys help me with this, or even just pastebin the config you use? It would be much appriciated.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so I got that file and put it in our server config path /opt/ftb/config , but I don't know how to have it only change the logging level of one mod (IndustrialCraft 2). I still want to see all other messages in console and server.log.0, as those are helpful when troubleshooting a crash.
I don't know all that much about setting up a server, and I was mainly given admin rank on our server for maintenance and restarts in the event of crashes.
So since FML doesn't generate a logging.properties file by default, I don't know what need to be in it to have everything log as it does without a logging.properties file, but only change the logging level of IC2 from INFO to SEVERE.

Can you guys help me with this, or even just pastebin the config you use? It would be much appriciated.

The logging.properties file isn't meant to be granular enough to delineate between mods and generally just setting to severe or warning will get rid of most of the messages that might otherwise assist in tracking down a specific fault (mostly because of a lack of any real agreement between modders about to what levels to log specific things at). This solution is more aimed at squeezing every last bit of performance out of a less powerful server after all other possible performance tweaks have already been attempted. I can't recommend adjusting the logging levels if you anticipate needing a log from a crash.

I personally used this to boost the performance of an old gaming machine with a 6 year old processor repurposed to a small (<10) whitelisted server. If you're running something significantly newer, need land protection plugins and extensive logging for social management, and need better performance, check out the amazing JVM arguments thread first.

Bbaass_TMH

Jul 29, 2019
I assumed there was a way to have that because in the ForgeModLoader-server-0.log file it lists "2013-10-27 06:03:16 [FINE] [IC2] Mod Logging channel IC2 configured at default level.".
As it showed all mods being logged at default, I was hoping there was a way to change it for a specific mod only.
It's not a performance issue for us, but with the version of IndustrialCraft2 we have, each mass fabricator in the map can send on average 5 lines of text a minute to console.
It's just annoying.

I tried several Bukkit plugins (we're running MCPC+ Legacy), but none of them could block/filter out the console spam.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I guess we'll just have to wait until the FTB team brings out a recommended version of Unleashed that has a build of IC2 that fixes the spam.

Bbaass_TMH

Jul 29, 2019
Found a way to change the logging levels for specific mods in bukkit.yml, since we are running MCPC+.