Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

ceselegend

Jul 29, 2019
I won't qualify Minetest as no community, few contributors. If there is one minecraft clone that could make it, it might be this one.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yah there already is a minecraft without the cubes. It's not that good.
Besides The simple foundation of MC is one of it's pluses.

Again, its a matter of actually putting forth the effort in the right areas, sounds like whoever made the game about which you speak didn't do that. I've had an idea for what would basically be a hybrid of Minecraft (with the building, and reforming the world as you see fit) and a few other things, particularly RotaryCraft (as one of the tech eras), D&D (in that levels and experience actually DO something), and with fully-customizable (on a per-world basis) rules like gravity, damage from excessive heat (which spreads via convection), damage from excessive cold, and so on. The world would also be HUGE, as in you'd be able to comfortably fit a dozen suns inside its maximum volume, and in ALL directions, so you could theoretically build all the way to space. All of this with a procedurally-generated world that'd look more like...between Morrowind and Oblivion, and less like Minecraft.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Again, its a matter of actually putting forth the effort in the right areas, sounds like whoever made the game about which you speak didn't do that. I've had an idea for what would basically be a hybrid of Minecraft (with the building, and reforming the world as you see fit) and a few other things, particularly RotaryCraft (as one of the tech eras), D&D (in that levels and experience actually DO something), and with fully-customizable (on a per-world basis) rules like gravity, damage from excessive heat (which spreads via convection), damage from excessive cold, and so on. The world would also be HUGE, as in you'd be able to comfortably fit a dozen suns inside its maximum volume, and in ALL directions, so you could theoretically build all the way to space. All of this with a procedurally-generated world that'd look more like...between Morrowind and Oblivion, and less like Minecraft.
Umm... The sheer amount of manpower that would be needed to create that...

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Cubic chunks is a mod. A complex mod but a mod non the less. And forge was created to let mods play nice with one another.

That mod requires a rewrite of a substantial amount of code. It would require a rewrite of chunks of Forge to be able to support it. There are some mods that cannot be supported by Forge for different reasons, and that is one of those mods.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Umm... The sheer amount of manpower that would be needed to create that...
There are already engines that do it, here's proof, its just a matter of gearing them for what you want. Oh, and the engine's demo worked perfectly fine on my old laptop. My old laptop that could barely run most modpacks. Believe me, I've done the legwork, I know its doable and in an efficient manner. The system reqs may be a little higher than Minecraft, but honestly, it'll run better because almost anyone is better at making a game run smoothly than Mojang.

Children, don't you doubt your elders. I've been doing this shit for 13 years, so don't you make me get the belt.

pancakemaster24

Jul 29, 2019
There are already engines that do it, here's proof, its just a matter of gearing them for what you want. Oh, and the engine's demo worked perfectly fine on my old laptop. My old laptop that could barely run most modpacks. Believe me, I've done the legwork, I know its doable and in an efficient manner. The system reqs may be a little higher than Minecraft, but honestly, it'll run better because almost anyone is better at making a game run smoothly than Mojang.

Children, don't you doubt your elders. I've been doing this shit for 13 years, so don't you make me get the belt.
Imagine someone made a minecraft clone using this engine and it was compatible with forge. That would be a great day even though it is probably impossible. Only reason this would be possible is if every mod used NOVA.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Cubic chunks is a mod. A complex mod but a mod non the less. And forge was created to let mods play nice with one another.

Yes- mods which add pretty blocks and items to the game, not mods that remap large parts of the game's lighting engine and internal workings.
Likewise the hooks and functionality provided by forge are not designed for this kind of modding, so the API is pretty much useless here.
(source: TallWorlds mod)

Edit- and I'm an idiot who missed a whole page of replies. Sorry mate :)

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Imagine someone made a minecraft clone using this engine and it was compatible with forge. That would be a great day even though it is probably impossible. Only reason this would be possible is if every mod used NOVA.

It would be...difficult, because Minecraft uses Java, as does NOVA, to my knowledge. TerraVol and Unity itself are, if memory serves, largely based around C# and .Net. Getting the two to play nice with one another would require a LOT of work.

pancakemaster24

Jul 29, 2019
It would be...difficult, because Minecraft uses Java, as does NOVA, to my knowledge. TerraVol and Unity itself are, if memory serves, largely based around C# and .Net. Getting the two to play nice with one another would require a LOT of work.
I completely forget about coding languages that makes it even more impossible

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
C# and Java interop isn't that hard

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
If it can't get my favorite mods, I'm not playing it :p

The main reason I play PC games primarily is the customizability. Mods make MC better. No mods, it's worse than base MC for me.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019

I think you are underestimating how much work goes into making a game...

ceselegend

Jul 29, 2019
So basically since they are doing illegal and stupid things, they ban everybody ? What a smart and adult thing to do.