Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
oh, is gideon using BG2? I don't pay attention to other packs anymore. If I did that I would pull the "oh this pack is using that, that pack is using this, I can't use either now."

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
oh, is gideon using BG2? I don't pay attention to other packs anymore. If I did that I would pull the "oh this pack is using that, that pack is using this, I can't use either now."
I did a double take there. "DID EYAMAZ JUST MENTION ME??????? Are we certain there's not another Gideon lurking this thread?"

I am using it, but that does not mean in any scenario that you cannot :p

-shhfiftyfive

Jul 29, 2019
might you be planning/considering to add jadedcat's HQM to BNB 2 at some point?

i do like the concept of hardcore having access to unlocking extra lives if certain goals are reached.

in BNB 1 we always ran hardcore or instituted rules to only have a certain number of lives shared among everyone on the server, etc. before starting a new world.

i'm curious though since a lot of others got much further than us because they didn't play hardcore. interesting to think HQM could bring them to a new look on how BNB can be experienced.

Sim...

Jul 29, 2019
New Definition of hardcore BNB: Multiple resurrections but when you die you have to take a shot of Tequila.

Or hardcore hardcore BNB, where you play in hardcore and need to chug the entire bottle of Tequila once you die.

Depending on how far you get, you'll probably feel like chugging a bottle of tequila when you die.

No. I don't think you understand BnB.

The correct procedure is to chug the entire bottle of Tequila when you start.

Dinodinodude

Jul 29, 2019
might you be planning/considering to add jadedcat's HQM to BNB 2 at some point?

i do like the concept of hardcore having access to unlocking extra lives if certain goals are reached.

in BNB 1 we always ran hardcore or instituted rules to only have a certain number of lives shared among everyone on the server, etc. before starting a new world.

i'm curious though since a lot of others got much further than us because they didn't play hardcore. interesting to think HQM could bring them to a new look on how BNB can be experienced.
Hate to be rude here, but I dislike the HQM mod. It's in nearly every 3rd party pack nowadays, and BnB is one of the few good packs that don't rely on direction in-game. Plus, as it already has progression it doesn't rely on it at all aside from "gifts". And honestly, even if Eyemaz did add it he would be like "Multiple lives in Hardcore? That's an oxymoron. 1 life only, wusses!"

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Hate to be rude here, but I dislike the HQM mod. It's in nearly every 3rd party pack nowadays, and BnB is one of the few good packs that don't rely on direction in-game. Plus, as it already has progression it doesn't rely on it at all aside from "gifts". And honestly, even if Eyemaz did add it he would be like "Multiple lives in Hardcore? That's an oxymoron. 1 life only, wusses!"
In addition to this, one of BnB's distinguishing features was that it didn't use HQM - it had its own natural progression! Plus the immersion of the struggle makes more sense than a quest-based route for the kind of pack BnB was (and I imagine BnB2 will be!). There's lots of HQM packs around, and I like them, but lets keep the one that's previously not been so the same in its second iteration, no?

Reactions: Boundary

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
In addition to this, one of BnB's distinguishing features was that it didn't use HQM - it had its own natural progression! Plus the immersion of the struggle makes more sense than a quest-based route for the kind of pack BnB was (and I imagine BnB2 will be!). There's lots of HQM packs around, and I like them, but lets keep the one that's previously not been so the same in its second iteration, no?

What about letting @Eyamaz decide? As he is after all the creator off this pack.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
What about letting @Eyamaz decide? As he is after all the creator off this pack.
Absolutely! I don't think anyone was presuming to do otherwise.

I'm fairly sure he has mentioned having no plans to use HQM in BnB2, but whether or not he chooses to its bound to be awesome either way :D

-shhfiftyfive

Jul 29, 2019
i haven't played or watched minecraft in like 8 months. but i did appreciate how agrarian skies had the quest book set up to basically introduce people to all the mods in that pack. kinda like a suggestive path and also a semi-tutorial for mods included in the pack. it helped me understand a lot of mods i had never used before then. even if it is just a better implementation of the vanilla game's achievement system... it is helpful. it makes the pack more accessible to a wider audience.

for reference, i never got far in BNB. yes because i played hardcore, but also i eventually hit a wall where i lacked knowledge on what to do next... the path wasn't exactly clear to your typical user. i relied on other's knowledge to guide me because the progression path was not clear for most who lacked experience with many of the included mods... we're talking alternate dimensions, witchery, etc. access to them and the order in which to do them required us to pool our knowledge and create google docs, etc.

i'm sure a lot of the rabid fans of modded minecraft keep up to date on all those mods but i know for sure i'll be relearning almost everything after taking an 8 month break from the scene. and i'll be looking for some google docs or some reddit page full of tips, because i just can't be expected to know all the inter workings of every mod inside and out. the mods have changed immensely since last year. that is a huge factor.

i expect the new waila display info integration i've seen lately will be a big help though.

Last edited:

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
i haven't played or watched minecraft in like 8 months. but i did appreciate how agrarian skies had the quest book set up to basically introduce people to all the mods in that pack. kinda like a suggestive path and also a semi-tutorial for mods included in the pack. it helped me understand a lot of mods i had never used before then. even if it is just a better implementation of the vanilla game's achievement system... it is helpful. it makes the pack more accessible to a wider audience.

for reference, i never got far in BNB. yes because i played hardcore, but also i eventually hit a wall where i lacked knowledge on what to do next... the path wasn't exactly clear to your typical user. i relied on other's knowledge to guide me because the progression path was not clear for most who lacked experience with many of the included mods... we're talking alternate dimensions, witchery, etc. access to them and the order in which to do them required us to pool our knowledge and create google docs, etc.

i'm sure a lot of the rabid fans of modded minecraft keep up to date on all those mods but i know for sure i'll be relearning almost everything after taking an 8 month break from the scene. and i'll be looking for some google docs or some reddit page full of tips, because i just can't be expected to know all the inter workings of every mod inside and out. the mods have changed immensely since last year. that is a huge factor.

i expect the new waila display info integration i've seen lately will be a big help though.
This is an hardcore pack for hardcore players.

Sent from my CUBOT ONE using Tapatalk

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019

I will hopefully be handling this through a different system, but that wont be implemented until some time after the first public beta.

-shhfiftyfive

Jul 29, 2019
@ NunoAgapito

from my observation in the past, almost all players, streamers, youtubers did NOT play BNB on hardcore mode... so "hardcore pack for hardcore players" isn't even true.

i'd say the pack is for all players, and eyamaz enjoys seeing all players/streamers/youtubers fail, not just hardcore players.

i did play a ton of BNB, (hundreds of hours, plenty on stream) mostly all on hardcore setting, where avoiding death was a main goal. progression was constantly reset because worlds were reset often. i excelled at BNB, but i found it hard to progress if those playing with me died and wanted me to continuously come play a new world with them... instead of continue previous world progress alone without them after they died. i definitely am that "hardcore player" you speak of, but i was hoping to not have to play the pack solo...

for me, i'd rather find/play with like-minded hardcore mode players who know what they're doing and can play efficiently and survive avoidable deaths... because that increases the fun for me. but in my experience that was not the typical user of this pack at all. most either had no desire to play HC mode or just failed miserably at it... much like path of exile or diablo, there is hardcore mode and normal mode. most players play the forgiving mode with no death penalty. or they fail horribly at surviving HC. i am neither of those players.

and no offense. but you've come to a false conclusion that HQM is "not hardcore". in fact, HQM could actually make the pack HARDER, not easier. completely depends on its implementation.

i'm not requesting HQM for a bunch of OP rewards or easy access to a ton of extra lives, but more interested in, since the pack is linear in terms of progression, a guide of documentation on how the pack's progress works. i assume access through each dimension likely relies heavily on understanding the inter workings and hand written tweaks to some staple mods. i expect documentation like that would take time to flesh out and only get added after the pack is final as eyamaz imagines.

@Eyamaz

i'm glad to hear your hopes to implement some sort of system after release, hopefully to keep people from having to guess/google how and what hoops need to be jumped through in the right order to be able to progress the multidimensional linear path created. that kind of documentation could have no effect on the pack's difficulty, imo.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Dinodinodude

Jul 29, 2019
@ NunoAgapito

from my observation in the past, almost all players, streamers, youtubers did NOT play BNB on hardcore mode... so "hardcore pack for hardcore players" isn't even true.

i'd say the pack is for all players, and eyamaz enjoys seeing all players/streamers/youtubers fail, not just hardcore players.

i did play a ton of BNB, (hundreds of hours, plenty on stream) mostly all on hardcore setting, where avoiding death was a main goal. progression was constantly reset because worlds were reset often. i excelled at BNB, but i found it hard to progress if those playing with me died and wanted me to continuously come play a new world with them... instead of continue previous world progress alone without them after they died. i definitely am that "hardcore player" you speak of, but i was hoping to not have to play the pack solo...

for me, i'd rather find/play with like-minded hardcore mode players who know what they're doing and can play efficiently and survive avoidable deaths... because that increases the fun for me. but in my experience that was not the typical user of this pack at all. most either had no desire to play HC mode or just failed miserably at it... much like path of exile or diablo, there is hardcore mode and normal mode. most players play the forgiving mode with no death penalty. or they fail horribly at surviving HC. i am neither of those players.

and no offense. but you've come to a false conclusion that HQM is "not hardcore". in fact, HQM could actually make the pack HARDER, not easier. completely depends on its implementation.

i'm not requesting HQM for a bunch of OP rewards or easy access to a ton of extra lives, but more interested in, since the pack is linear in terms of progression, a guide of documentation on how the pack's progress works. i assume access through each dimension likely relies heavily on understanding the inter workings and hand written tweaks to some staple mods. i expect documentation like that would take time to flesh out and only get added after the pack is final as eyamaz imagines.

@Eyamaz

i'm glad to hear your hopes to implement some sort of system after release, hopefully to keep people from having to guess/google how and what hoops need to be jumped through in the right order to be able to progress the multidimensional linear path created. that kind of documentation could have no effect on the pack's difficulty, imo.
Again, hate to be rude, but as the pack already has natural progression the most that HQM would add are a few fetch quests/bounty hunting quests.

I do agree the pack should have some sort of tutorial, as nearly all players of Minecraft survival learn how to get from dying off cliffs in peacefull mode to slaying blazes in hardcore by learning from the community. I would prefer an online guide of progression and survival by Eyemaz accessible from the main menu in oppose to a guide in-game, hopefully with a few tips and -tricks- (all tricky exploits were removed this update ~ Eyemaz).

Jokes aside, I think this pack handles just fine without HQM, and Eyemaz will deal with the issue of no-clue people. The only practical guide for the Hardcore player is Ssundee's playthrough, but it doesn't apply to all seeds and you need to stand through "OMG DOODS DID U SEE DAT THING HAD 9000+ HEALTH AND LEFT ME AT 1/32 OF A HEART," so I'm glad Eyemaz has that taken care of.
As for the multiple lives thing, there's probably a plugin for that, if not someone could make it if you asked really nicely. Or you could just go with @Mikhaila666 's definition of hardcore if you want a reasonable punishment for dying.

To sum up this message that probably takes up the rest of this page, I think that because Eyemaz has been able to make a pack that does not rely on the directness of HQM and there are alternate ways to get certain benefits of it, it's really unnecessary and many people would probably agree there are already too many packs with the HQM that actually rely on it.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
@ NunoAgapito

@Eyamaz

What I mean by hardcore pack for hardcore players is that is a pack for experienced players that know what they are doing. I didnt mean it needs to be played in hardcore. I just mean it isnt an Agrarian Skies with HQM quests that hold the hands of players and guide them through progression. Its supposed to be an hard pack where you have to think how to do the stuff, find clever ways to do the same you did previously in "normal packs" in a much easier way and most importantly, learn and laugh of your failures. The thing why this pack is not for everyone and that is where my definition of "hardcore players" come is the fact that you need to be in the mood to fail, learn from it and have fun while failing, which, many of the "softcore players" dont want to do. They are just "failaphobic".

Dinodinodude

Jul 29, 2019
What I mean by hardcore pack for hardcore players is that is a pack for experienced players that know what they are doing. I didnt mean it needs to be played in hardcore. I just mean it isnt an Agrarian Skies with HQM quests that hold the hands of players and guide them through progression. Its supposed to be an hard pack where you have to think how to do the stuff, find clever ways to do the same you did previously in "normal packs" in a much easier way and most importantly, learn and laugh of your failures. The thing why this pack is not for everyone and that is where my definition of "hardcore players" come is the fact that you need to be in the mood to fail, learn from it and have fun while failing, which, many of the "softcore players" dont want to do. They are just "failaphobic".
I do have to disagree with this. As I said from my post, many players learned how to go through vanilla minecraft by outside sources. Sure, they learned some tactics by themselves, however they did not learn, say, how to make a nether portal or how to make potions. If they were forced to find out how to make these themselves, they would literally be placing random things in random places to see what works.
It's one thing if you're given the puzzle pieces with clear pictures and connectors, however it's another if there is no indication as to what they represent or how they connect. I do see how a direct guide can make it less enjoyable to some people, however if you had to rely on NEI to find "oh, this has X stats and does this," it would be quicker and as enjoyable to find the same information on a wiki, which is what @shhfiftyfive is trying to say. People who prefer to piece the information together by themselves can do that, like you, the people who want to know at least the barebones of getting from start to finish and it's branches can do that, like me, and people who want to know particularly how to survive without having to figure that much out for themselves aside from technique can do that, like fifty.
Honestly, even with the best information this pack is crazy hard. The majority of people just hate confusion rather than hating failing.

Reactions: Eyamaz