Post-Cauldron server administration and WorldBorder

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I'm composing a new modpack and server for my players using Minecraft 1.7.10. We used Cauldron and a number of Bukkit plugins previously with 1.6.4 and had a fantastic server experience. Mob spawn controls, essentials, world borders, item bans, memory and chunk cleanup, drop aggregation and more! We had it all!

Now I'm on 1.7.10 after Cauldron is dead, and I feel like my hands have been tied. I understand there are good reasons so I don't fault the authors of Bukkit and Cauldron, but I'm desperately trying to find replacements for functions that I used to rely on.

My current need is for a functioning world border, preferably with the ability to pregenerate chunks and trim. Forge Essentials advertises one, and it's in a broken state or never worked (they weren't clear).

Can anyone recommend one?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen no documentation on the options in Tinker's, though I know it's present. Admin toolbox I installed and may try.

bossomeness

Jul 29, 2019
Try using this. I believe someone updated Cauldron, so this is unofficial.
--Moderator Redacted--
Just use build #215 (it's forge 1272)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shuuin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm composing a new modpack and server for my players using Minecraft 1.7.10. We used Cauldron and a number of Bukkit plugins previously with 1.6.4 and had a fantastic server experience. Mob spawn controls, essentials, world borders, item bans, memory and chunk cleanup, drop aggregation and more! We had it all!

Now I'm on 1.7.10 after Cauldron is dead, and I feel like my hands have been tied. I understand there are good reasons so I don't fault the authors of Bukkit and Cauldron, but I'm desperately trying to find replacements for functions that I used to rely on.

My current need is for a functioning world border, preferably with the ability to pregenerate chunks and trim. Forge Essentials advertises one, and it's in a broken state or never worked (they weren't clear).

Can anyone recommend one?
Need help with setup Server with plugin's 1.7.10 Check out my post here ( Click me )

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Don't use Cauldron, unless you like corrupted worlds. It happened to us once after a few Forge updates, and it was then that we just stopped using it.
No, seriously, I don't understand why people are still using it, unless you're using it for a Forge version that Cauldron has been known to be compatible with (IE, early 1.7.10/1.6.4 packs are OK)

With that said, there *are* options for world control. Try Admin Commands Toolbox. It does just that - world border + pregen. I only use Forge Essentials for permissions, world edit and basic spawn protections and teleports.
I do recommend using both ACT and FE. As for FE, be sure to disable any modules you don't use in the main config.

I made a list of server side mods that you can use in the absence of Cauldron. Worth thumbing through to see if any can help you out.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/comprehensive-list-of-mods-useful-for-server-admins.58524/

Seriously people, mods can do a much better job than plugins. Bukkit is dead and we know it, so I'm not sure why people are still relying on outdated/unsupported 'underground/unofficial' versions. It's like using a cracked version of Windows - yea, it might work now, but when stuff breaks, it's only your fault. I do realize there are way fewer server mods than there are plugins, but I go for supported/stable versions of something over outdated ones any day. So, until Sponge is finished and plugins are written for that, this is the best option for now, unless of course you have an in house dev.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, until Sponge is released Cauldron isn't worth using.

However I'd argue that current mods are a poor substitute for what Bukkit plugins there used to be. Forge modding was all about new content and gameplay, never server administration. Bukkit was only server side. Thus server admins were more likely to use Bukkit for administration addons.

ACT does a fine job with worldgen. I'm not aware of it having a border. FE's world border kills players routinely.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
ACT pregen + ex nilo.
Generate all the chunks you want, then log out and set the void generation for all new chunks true in the config file. Not the best, utility wise, but it works.
(On phone, soery for spelling/grammar)

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, until Sponge is released Cauldron isn't worth using.

However I'd argue that current mods are a poor substitute for what Bukkit plugins there used to be. Forge modding was all about new content and gameplay, never server administration. Bukkit was only server side. Thus server admins were more likely to use Bukkit for administration addons.

ACT does a fine job with worldgen. I'm not aware of it having a border. FE's world border kills players routinely.

Bukkit was standard because it was first, and vanilla servers were (and still are) more abundant, thus it became the standard. Since Bukkit plugins existed and so did MCPC+, no one needed to make Forge mods for server admins. But, yea, I know it's subpar compared to Bukkit, but at least it works. We have found ourselves relying on and getting by with just using bare essentials. Heck, we are using Forestry for the server's trading system, and it works surprisingly well. (Although it helps we have a dungeon loot modifier and a coin mod, so players can get money from dungeons.)

Unfortunately, we probably wont see any 1.7.10 servers using Sponge, since Sponge is shooting for 1.8 first. But hey, in the end, Sponge will be way more powerful for Forge servers than Bukkit ever was.

Shybella

Jul 29, 2019
Cauldron isn't nothing more but Spigot + Forge. Most the issues you all come across directly relate to Forge or the Mod itself. Spigot(Implements the CraftBukkit API) + many patches that makes Spigot what is it.

Bukkit isn't dead infact it's been much needed improvement. Spigot uses CraftBukkit as its API. It won't be going anywhere. It's progressed much better recently. You can check out MD_5's Stashub.
Sponge is nearly complete but still a distance from function SMP use for what we need it for.

Bukkit plugins work fine, you need to use the version's 1.7.10/1.7.9/1.7.2. You can alternatively decomplie the plugin and check out the source yourself and make sure its compatible. You need to remember that Cauldron only remaps nms data, doesn't directly modify unless its through a patch which can easily be changed if need be. This I have not yet needed to do. 1.5.2, yes I did on several patches but those issues have been addressed in 1.7.10.

1.7.10 Entities are one issue too. PathFinding and Tracking func's with NMS classes use mathhelper(mainly sqrt floats) which is a class that uses java.math functions and even though this is native calculations this does not mean it'll be performance tuned. Spigot and along with BloodMC patched these issues using atan2 instead it looks like its improved the issue greatly. It's just registering more complex events which require more calculation depending on the event being called*.

Relipcate the entityprojectile tracking event for path navigation - Take a skeleton and stand on a platform 8 blocks high and be out of sight from the skeleton while the skeleton is trying to attack you. This will show you one example of the impact.

You can lower activation ranges and use Clearlagg tracking module to reduce those calculations greatly. Night and Day improvements.

What I'm trying to get across here, Cauldron shouldn't and will not cause more issues than stand-a-lone Forge will. Infact it'll fix more problems than anything. It's all troubleshooting and 90% of the issues can be fixed without even touching any code.

Last edited:

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Actually because of the merge, some number of forge functions are changed, which can introduce bugs in forge mods. It's nearly as dodgy historically speaking as optifine for causing otherwise unreproducible bugs that the mod author can't fix, only Cauldron/Optifine can.