Optifine Now For FTB!

itzchewii

Jul 29, 2019
sp614x has confirmed that he has fixed Optifine to now be compatible with FTB! Here's the proof.
wlxhoGg.png

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
As a note. Void chests from Railcraft can show up as vanilla chests with optifine, and liquids in Mekanism tanks usually don't show up.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
sp614x has confirmed that he has fixed Optifine to now be compatible with FTB! Here's the proof.
wlxhoGg.png
It's still gonna be incompatible in MANY ways, since thats what optifine does.
He just means that the MAJOR incompatibilities -should- be gone.

my thoughts exactly. the main problems are probably fixed, but the rest...
but hey, it's atleast a step forwards

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
wlxhoGg.png
Check the date: Feb 21
I tried that version and at the very least it causes mobs to loose limbs(including the player) and get the wrong textures.
Until he completely rewrites Optifine to be in line with the MC EULA(or whatever) like Forge did, there will always be incompatibilities.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I could be wrong, but I think when sp614x says a version of Optifine is "compatible" then he means any coremod functionality has been written around a specific Forge version. And in the case of a pack like in this situation, it would likely mean that it's also written around any coremod functionality that some of the bigger mods may implement into the game as well. This may mean that the game won't crash or have problems from the start, but it doesn't necessarily mean you won't have other incompatibilities or visual oddities at some point.

From my personal experience, my Redstone Paste mod had a very particular incompatibility where the paste itself just flickered like the dickens when I'd see it in some people's mod spotlights. I eventually realized why, but the only reasonable solution I found was completely duplicating some of Minecraft's block rendering functions with copies that Optifine wouldn't be altering. Bloating up my own code is not an ideal solution at all, and in other circumstances I might have simply said "they're not compatible." But the number of times I saw this issue bothered me enough to make me want to work around it, because I knew people watching those mod spotlights weren't going to realize it was due to Optifine or even realize Optifine was installed on those peoples' games, and I didn't want them to think I'd just made a crappy mod.

Optifine still serves a purpose for some folks despite all the Mojang performance improvements over the last few versions, so I don't really have a problem with it. It's just that I can also understand other modders' dislike of it though since they tend to end up getting the support requests it causes. Then multiply that times several dozen mods for doing modpack support.

Reactions: Flipz and rhn

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I need Optifine just to run the Direwolf20 pack with more than 10 FPS.

The amount of memory thrashing that goes on with mods can sometimes be remedied with some of the JVM options to help reduce or control Java garbage collection. There's a topic somewhere here on the forums which might help you, if you're not already using it. Just altering that helps me more than Optifine can.

Reactions: Eyamaz and YX33A

thestarlion

Jul 29, 2019
Check the date: Feb 21
I tried that version and at the very least it causes mobs to loose limbs(including the player) and get the wrong textures.
Until he completely rewrites Optifine to be in line with the MC EULA(or whatever) like Forge did, there will always be incompatibilities.

The missing limbs thing might be a video card (or OS in my case) issue. In general I've found using Optifine Standard in place of Ultra will prevent it from happening. The differences and gains between Standard and Ultra are so slight that unless you actually use one of the added functionality, you'll never even notice it.

It is nice to know he's at least trying to address the incompatibilities, since for all the people claiming it's not necessary or just breaks things (Which I'll concede it has a tendency to do, don't bite my head off) those of us with less capable machines do depend on it. JVM arguments and other mods such as FPS++ only go so far.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The missing limbs thing might be a video card (or OS in my case) issue. In general I've found using Optifine Standard in place of Ultra will prevent it from happening. The differences and gains between Standard and Ultra are so slight that unless you actually use one of the added functionality, you'll never even notice it.
Well the whole point as I see it to use Optifine now with 1.6 is to get Multicore support. That is all I really wanted from it tbh. Without that it is just too many bugs for nothing.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using that version with my own pack for some time, and the only problem I've gotten so far is the famous missing limbs (but only if I go into the Nether or explore the world too much). Everything else I've been using hasn't yelled at me a single time, so I guess this version is working (with that pack at least) pretty well. Ah yeah, and I get a higher FPS when I turn smooth lighting on for whatever reason.
With FTB, well, I tried to use it with Direwolf's 1.6 pack and I crash at the main menu because of MPS's glow buffer or something. Taking Optifine out loads the game normally, so I guess I'll just have to live with it as a poor person that still uses a 32 bit processor.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
*Beep* This thread is now clean. Please resume a civil and respectful conversation after the tone. *Beep*