More efficient/completely safe nuclear reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
2720 EU/t reactor with 0 heat and 0 cool down....

I'm very new to this reactor stuff but in 5 mins I had a design that output 1200 EU/t and then by the 15 min mark I had it up to 2720 EU/t... 0 Core Heat and a total output of 1,088,000,000 EU over the 5 and a half hours for its run time.
There is 0 cool down time and infinite cycles. the efficiency is only 4.86 but I think its worth it when you realize that you would need 1,088 MFSU's to hold all the power generated.

If you want to have a look at my design then here it is....
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/v3/reactorplanner.html

Condensators have a charge and need to be replenished (very frequently on a high EU design) using redstone/lapis. They are possible but they are not 0 cooldown since you are effectively taking cells out and replacing them for the cooldown.

To see this go to the condensator information page, and see that you are using a redstone every 3 seconds and a lapis every 8. This means you would have to pipe out these cells, replace (or have extra cells to buffer) and then place the old ones back in when needed again.

To tie this into the OP, as a reactor by itself it is positively unsafe. I would recommend surrounding with some material that absorbs nuclear explosions :p

Reactions: Rick Spencer

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Condensators have a charge and need to be replenished (very frequently on a high EU design) using redstone/lapis. They are possible but they are not 0 cooldown since you are effectively taking cells out and replacing them for the cooldown.

To see this go to the condensator information page, and see that you are using a redstone every 3 seconds and a lapis every 8. This means you would have to pipe out these cells, replace (or have extra cells to buffer) and then place the old ones back in when needed again.

To tie this into the OP, as a reactor by itself it is positively unsafe. I would recommend surrounding with some material that absorbs nuclear explosions :p

Is there a way to automate this design? Because I have far more redstone and lapis then I could ever need, but I don't want to have to turn my reactor off every 5 seconds to recharge the condensators. I guess i'd have to use some RP stuff, but I haven't had the chance to use RP stuff at all so I don't know what the setup would be.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to automate this design? Because I have far more redstone and lapis then I could ever need, but I don't want to have to turn my reactor off every 5 seconds to recharge the condensators. I guess i'd have to use some RP stuff, but I haven't had the chance to use RP stuff at all so I don't know what the setup would be.

There is, but it really isn't worth it unless you don't mind using a chest or so of lapis + 3 or so chests of redstone every full-cycle.

Sure, you could UU-Matter the crap but with the GT nerf of the fabricator I'm pretty sure you'd lose power.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
2720 EU/t reactor with 0 heat and 0 cool down....

I'm very new to this reactor stuff but in 5 mins I had a design that output 1200 EU/t and then by the 15 min mark I had it up to 2720 EU/t... 0 Core Heat and a total output of 1,088,000,000 EU over the 5 and a half hours for its run time.

There is 0 cool down time and infinite cycles. the efficiency is only 4.86 but I think its worth it when you realize that you would need 1,088 MFSU's to hold all the power generated.

If you want to have a look at my design then here it is....
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/v3/reactorplanner.html

as someone else said. that is not a stable reactor at all. once those condensators are used up it goes boom, so it's positively expensive to run lapis and redstone wise.
There is also the issue with the neutron reflectors you use. they have to be replaced a whooping 6 times during a single run. meaning that in addition to the redstone and lapis you burn to keep it cool, It consumes a total of 36 thick neutron reflectors. (each has to be replaced 6 times during one pu cell cycle)
those consume in their making a total of 576 tin and 2016 copper.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
as someone else said. that is not a stable reactor at all. once those condensators are used up it goes boom, so it's positively expensive to run lapis and redstone wise.
There is also the issue with the neutron reflectors you use. they have to be replaced a whooping 6 times during a single run. meaning that in addition to the redstone and lapis you burn to keep it cool, It consumes a total of 36 thick neutron reflectors. (each has to be replaced 6 times during one pu cell cycle)
those consume in their making a total of 576 tin and 2016 copper.
You haven't answered my question, I was asking if it was possible, not whether or not it was practical.

Anyway, to use plutonium cells in the first place requires GT, which means I can use iridium reflectors which last forever (and aren't even that expensive). As far as I can tell, the only resources being used (apart from the fuel cells) is redstone + lapis to recharge the condensators.

EDIT: lolpierandom, I was planning on using the normal mass fabricator, rather than the GT one. So it means that I could use UU matter to make the redstone/lapis and still make a profit, but I have no idea how to do that. Do you know where I can find a tutorial?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Talking GregTech: MK2 Eff6 Plutonium reactor. Lasts for one full cycle, then needs a while to recharge. (Despite what the planner says, I am pretty sure it will recharge. Every coolant cell is adjacent to a component vent. Correct me if I'm wrong.) Ideal to dump cells in when you're logging off, and when you come back next time you'll have almost 5 MFSUs full of power. (48M EU)

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...x7ju4zwh8t231rwqv9mewbhoibh2qqspqo11nml5mhyps

I don't think it's possible to get any more efficiency out of plutonium, while still being able to complete a full cycle and not using any SUC.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Abdiel, try this: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...gmm62q40intav4qmpzxbn9qlfooy49s6uceapazyld91c

I made this just yesterday. It will run that dual plutonium cell not only full cycle, but indefinitely. You could rig up redpower filters with entire chests full of replacement cells and log off, and it will never overheat. In fact, it can even handle the 20% hotter quad uranium cell, and run those things indefinitely too. Efficiency 7 reactor, fully stable without cooldown.

And the best part? It's significantly cheaper to build. ;) Check the required resources. And that's not even counting the helium needed for your coolant cells, which the planner doesn't track and which can be a major pain in the rear to procure early-on.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
You haven't answered my question, I was asking if it was possible, not whether or not it was practical.

Anyway, to use plutonium cells in the first place requires GT, which means I can use iridium reflectors which last forever (and aren't even that expensive). As far as I can tell, the only resources being used (apart from the fuel cells) is redstone + lapis to recharge the condensators.

EDIT: lolpierandom, I was planning on using the normal mass fabricator, rather than the GT one. So it means that I could use UU matter to make the redstone/lapis and still make a profit, but I have no idea how to do that. Do you know where I can find a tutorial?

I can tell you that it is possible, as far as I'm aware gregtech adds tools to allow you to place items in certain places in an inventory automatically - although I have no real experience with it as it doesn't appeal to me.

You would have to look into it, but I've heard it being done. IC2 forums will probably be your best bet for SUC reactors.

@Omnicron very nice design! Personally I have no issues with gold so I quite like a slight change to it (which allows better stacking)
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...ic3vr9xjw888rqziad22ntezuokad1ekomwm2hctqmkn4
Really depends on how much gold you have and your goals though. This thing couldn't run the quad uranium either (although I prefer to just breed lots and stick large amounts in a single reactor for 200-500 eu/t ^^)

Personally I find copper is an issue so quad cells are something I avoid.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe, for me it's the other way around. Due to a silly little bug/misdocumentation about the way the TE ore generation mechanics work, I inadvertedly created a world with copper veins sized several thousand blocks each. It's utterly hilarious. My friends and I mined a single vein out and then never touched another again, and after over half a month in the world it's still the most common metal in my storage chests despite the fact that I just dropped more than two full stacks of blocks of copper on that reactor :p

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
That GT machines that let you put item at the slot you want are advanced buffer and advanced regulator, the number in the GUI is simply the slot you want your item to be put into.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I'd rather use an extreme efficiency setup like this instead.
EU/t is not all that important for nuclear reactors. it's more about getting the most out of what is essentially a limited resource. (uranium)
I dare you to get a similar one to work with PU. :D

Thorium actually rocks for high efficiency long lasting setups. much easier to deal with the heating.

Reactions: Barbarian Kitten

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
So like a dense ores world, but with only copper?

Yeah, pretty much :D At least the other ores are distributed normally, else it would be borderline unplayable. Or, at least, not worth playing.

I'd rather use an extreme efficiency setup like this instead.

Damn, that design is even better than what I managed to come up with. Where were you yesterday when I made my thread asking for advice! :p

EDIT: in an act of benevolent revenge, I compacted this down to five chambers and even less resource cost!
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...yyg2lxdyip8d1oerja22waeri0mcu5ap10faew03z1hxc

Can anyone go lower still? :cool:

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Abdiel, try this: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...gmm62q40intav4qmpzxbn9qlfooy49s6uceapazyld91c

I made this just yesterday. It will run that dual plutonium cell not only full cycle, but indefinitely. You could rig up redpower filters with entire chests full of replacement cells and log off, and it will never overheat. In fact, it can even handle the 20% hotter quad uranium cell, and run those things indefinitely too. Efficiency 7 reactor, fully stable without cooldown.

And the best part? It's significantly cheaper to build. ;) Check the required resources. And that's not even counting the helium needed for your coolant cells, which the planner doesn't track and which can be a major pain in the rear to procure early-on.
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...xea9uo22muqj9hipkv1wazprw8wqeqkohwcnda4p0bke8
Cheaper on gold, copper, redstone, rubber. More expensive on tin, iron. Up to personal preference, which one is cheaper in total :)

Edit:
Your newer version is better. That's what I get for not refreshing the thread before posting :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Non-capped overclocked heat vent? When I load the planner, it shows me a basic heat vent (there are 6 of them in there already) as uncapped.

I'm currently building this ingame on the GregTech simulator to confirm it's functional.

EDIT: yep, it's rock stable.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, pretty much :D At least the other ores are distributed normally, else it would be borderline unplayable. Or, at least, not worth playing.

Damn, that design is even better than what I managed to come up with. Where were you yesterday when I made my thread asking for advice! :p

Arranging a birthday party for my 4yo son. ;)

Here is something to think about:
When processing uranium, it seems to give the best gain when you craft it into near depleted isotope cells, then centrifuge them into thorium cells. you get a 4x gain on fuel cells that way without having to go trough the hazzle of breeding.
if you silk touch the ore, and aren't fond of thorium designs, then you can turn it all into double the amount of dust, centrifuge that, and get a slightly smaller gain, but also a higher EU/t production ability. I prefer Thorium tho. just have to compress the dust into refined uranium for a whooping 8x fuel cell number gain over just compressing the ore.
Energy wise.. well... Pu actually does a 4x energy gain over uranium. but you don't really get that much of it. and you end up breeding a lot of uranium to get it. the fuel cells gain is around 1 to 1, but you get some thorium as byproduct, as well as a the nice 4x energy gain from the better cell.

Here is an efficiency 7 quad quad thorium design. This design is expensive tho. lots of extra copper is used to make the quad cells, might not be worth it if you are constantly short on copper.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Non-capped overclocked heat vent? When I load the planner, it shows me a basic heat vent (there are 6 of them in there already) as uncapped.

I'm currently building this ingame on the GregTech simulator to confirm it's functional.

EDIT: yep, it's rock stable.

The capped vent is a standard vent if you are referring to my design.
mine actually uses 2 less gold than the one Raiju linked, as well as a 13 tin, but it uses more copper, rubber and redstone. 39 copper , 30 rubber and 10 redstone to be exact.
if copper is tight then you might as well go with his design. the difference is in the 1% ballpark at any rate, so it doesn't really make much of a difference overall.
1700+ ingots of copper goes into these babies after all.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Until I gave up and started centrifuging lava I couldn't afford a nuclear reactor between everything else going on :( I have noone to blame but myself for that

Status
Not open for further replies.