Mob Farms, Drops, and XP orbs

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CyborgTriceratops

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking of doing a mob farm system sort of like what Monkey Farm has in his world, a giant tower that drops the mobs into a 2x1 area. Since Mo Creatures is not part of FTB, and I do not think it is on the list to be added, this creation should still work, correct? Secondly, if I put up an obsidian tube to suck up the drops, or the machine to picks up drops (forgot the name, extractor?) will it pick up the drops AND the XP orbs and destroy them, or just the drops? If not, is there a mod that will auto stack XP into certain increments like items currently do, say in increments of 50 orbs (it can be done, as the dragon drops orbs of different sizes) to reduce lag on servers/from mob farms?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Mobs do not yield XP unless a player damaged them in the last couple seconds. Therefore a mob drop tower will not generate any XP whatsoever.

People have devised designs where mobs are dropped just enough distance to remain alive at 0.5 hearts while being confined behind a fence, allowing a player to calmly punch them all dead and reap massive XP rewards.

CyborgTriceratops

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I should of explained better. The mobs will drop just far enough that I can punch them to death, thus gaining the XP and the drops, instead of just the drops.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
If you are there punching them, you should instantly pick up any XP so it won't lag...?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
XP Will also drop if they are killed by turtle.

Unfortunately, there is no "XP Sink" block at this time. From what I can gather, it's a part of TC3 when it's released (soon, apparently).

CyborgTriceratops

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what turtle is, not that far into the mod. I may also use instant damage potions to do harm, and they do drop XP that way.

I'll look into the block when TC3 comes out, I guess for now I'll handle the lag, which should be less anyways due to the items being picked up.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The "XP sink" is the Brain in a Jar, I believe. I did see a video in which it dropped some smelting exp it gathered when punched.

To answer your initial question, I'm pretty sure (not 100%) Obsidian Pipes ignore exp orbs.