Minecraft crashes on startup when using 64 bit Java.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinistrus

Jul 29, 2019
When i try to start FTB using 64 bit java i get past the part where it says ”FML is setting up your minecraft enviroment” then i get a crash window saying ”Java(TM) Platform SE Binary has stopped working”. Normal vanilla minecraft also crashes right after logging in.
Running either of them using 32 bit java works (although i don't really want to play FTB using only 1 GB ram). I've only had this problem since yesterday so i'm guessing some automatic update for something broke it.

I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 and i have Java 7u11 32 bit and 64 bit installed.

Things i've tried:
Reinstalled Java
Downgraded Java
Reinstalled graphic card drivers. (I installed new ones yesterday so i figured they might be the problem)
Downgraded graphic card drivers
Reinstalled Minecraft
Reinstalled the FTB Launcher and the modpacks.
Updated LWJGL on both vanilla and FTB.

I've found a fix for vanilla minecraft, if i start it using the command line below it doesn't crash. However i have no idea how to use this to fix the FTB version. (Found this in a bat file on the internet named minecrafterrortest.bat)

java -Xincgc -Xmx1024m -cp "%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\lwjgl.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\lwjgl_util.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\jinput.jar" -Djava.library.path="%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives" net.minecraft.client.Minecraft Player

I've been trying to find a solution for around 8 hours and i'm kinda tired now so if anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Edit: Also tried starting vanilla(moded) minecraft using MagicLauncher and it works.

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
did you try removing both java versions and just only installing the 64bit version? it's know having both can cause problems ;)

Sinistrus

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's one of the first things i tried.
Also found out i can't start normal minecraft with the launcher, but i can start it without.
Examples:
This works:
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw" -cp "%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\lwjgl.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\lwjgl_util.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\jinput.jar" -Djava.library.path="%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives" net.minecraft.client.Minecraft Player
This does not work:
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -jar "C:\Games\Minecraft\Minecraft.exe"
Just trying some stuff with normal minecraft for now since i can't really change these things in the FTB launcher. Maybe i should just download all the mods i need seperatly and skip the launcher... that would be fun.

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
You can import your modpacks in multiMC (there is a nice importfunction for that) so that could come in handy as last resort.
Why the hell do you need to define all path's to get it running? These should be defined in your PATH of windows >.<
and otherwise started from the actual mods (atleast in mindcrackv7 and dw20v5)

Did they change the start commands for the clients? (sorry haven't updated myself yet so no idea about the new batfiles).

Sinistrus

Jul 29, 2019
Tried using MultiMC, same problem, and no they couldn't have changed anything with the client, because it worked fine yesterday :S

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
normally the bat whould be something like (just typing from my head the old bat file so could make a small mistake)
Code:
java -xms512M -xmx1G direwolf20.jar

I have the feeling something in the defining off your path's / Java installation is skrewing thigs over.
Did you try to remove and reinstall laucher + modpacks after your tried the java up/downgrades or before? Incase before could you try that again?

CraveMode

Jul 29, 2019
I am having the same issue for several days, I can only run the 32 bit version. I have uninstalled both version completely of 7u17, started using 7u15 and still does the same.

Azgult

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming the commandline fix from the first post works: The essential parts are the -Xincgc -Xmx1024m, although I don't know which one it is. The latter option limits the memory to 1G, something you may not want to do, the first one allows the garbage collection to constantly run instead of periodically, which removes lag spikes, and may prevent memory overflow. If that solves the problem, you can add the option by in the launcher going to options -> advanced options and adding "-Xincgc" to the field "Additional java parameters".

I have no idea if it works though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.