MFR auto spawner - run on power alone?

SkinnyTurtles

Jul 29, 2019
The MFR forum page says that the auto spawner needs both power and mob essence to spawn mobs, but when I tested it, I could run it on power alone, so does mob essence just reduce the power needed, or is it a bug? And for some reason, when it spawns skeletons, it spawns then without bows, so they try to melee you - will that stop them dropping certain items when you kill them? They still drop arrows, but would it remove the chance of getting a bow drop?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It'd probably remove bow drop because it's not a standard drop of them. They drop a bow because it's the weapon equipped like armor.

SkinnyTurtles

Jul 29, 2019
I guess it's a good thing they do need mob essence, auto-spawners are more powerful that people think. As to the bow thing, I was thinking that they should drop them, because it is supposed to spawn mobs based on what you have in the safari net, and since it keeps track of how much HP they have, it would make sense for bow drops. But I suppose that would be a bit OP (imagine trapping a zombie with full armor :) ). Thanks for the help!

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Just wondering has anyone tried it on Iron Golems?

E: LOL IT DOES.

Grinder doesn't kill them though.

SkinnyTurtles

Jul 29, 2019
Turtle? Just drop them into a lava blade.
That too - I guess all these mods have made me forget basic vanilla things :D.
Edit: this thing can spawn twilight forest death tomes (the floating books) so you can have a mob-based book farm. Oh, and it can also spawn the TF Naga, if you can get close enough to safari net him. Cant use it on the wither thought, but you might be able to use it on other TF forest bosses, still need to check that.

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019
I googled "MFR auto spawner," and was actually directed to this page. So I still don't know, what item are you talking about?

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: this thing can spawn twilight forest death tomes (the floating books) so you can have a mob-based book farm. Oh, and it can also spawn the TF Naga, if you can get close enough to safari net him. Cant use it on the wither thought, but you might be able to use it on other TF forest bosses, still need to check that.
Yep, it works on any TF mobs and bosses, but grinder still won't kill them.
And btw, if you use T5 shard zombie or pigman spawner grinders will collect undamaged loot. Probably the best way for mob gold/iron farm.

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
T5 zombie spawner would be at least as good as single auto-spawner, as spawn rate is waaay better. And you need no mob essence. Or you can set up both, to get essence from zombies and feed it into auto-spawners.

Reactions: Hoff

SkinnyTurtles

Jul 29, 2019
I build something designed to help fill soul shards, its uses a T5 zombie shard to get mob essence (I use zombies because thair spawners are common and so its easy to get a soul shard) and then feeds it into an auto-spawner. In the picture, the spawner is set to pigmen, but it can spawn anything really. It will sustain itself so long as you can provide power (I use a solar and a converter to fuel the energy cell). It would be better if it got mobs down to a 1 hit kill, but vile swords are cheap enough, and XP wont be problem.

http://imgur.com/a/tMpC6
The first image shows the setup, and the second one shows it while active. The third is the zombie spawner - this one keeps the auto spawner running. the fourth is of the auto spawner. I have it set to pigmen just as an example. The final is of the powering system. I am only using a cell and solar as an example, it can run on IC2 power as well. As I said, its main purpose is too help fill soul shards. Also, you may want to modify it to work on iron golems, since the zombies do not seem do drop non-enchanted iron gear for you to break down in an alloy furnace, or at least if they do then it is at a rate so slow it's usless.

OneSullenBrit

Jul 29, 2019
Soooo... I just got into Auto Spawners (using the Unleashed FTB pack). Are they meant to be non-sustainable? Because whenever I try running it the mob essence runs out, so the mobs stop spawning: no mob spawns, no more essence :/

Also, can you use endermen in auto spawners? I tried to, and made a 8x8x4 room, but I had conveyor belts on the floor and I don't know if they take up a block space when it comes to spawning.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
The topic is on the FTB Ultimate's version, there are quite a few fixes down the road so yes, it is not supposed to be sustainable just by itself.

MFR only, you will need to run Breeder, Chronotyper (maybe) and Grinder, running on farm animals for your mob essence needs.

But since you are running on the Unleashed packs, there's a few ways you can go.

1. Regular spawners picked up using Force Wrench, make a regular spawn room out of them and use grinder to kill them for loot and essence.
2. Soul shards. Start out, make a tier 1 or 2 shard out of the more common mobs like skeletons, zombies or spiders. Either by manual killing or using the shard on a spawner. Using shard on the spawners will destroy the spawner and yield 200 souls for that particular soul shard.
Then, utilising the low tier soul shard, make a mob farm using Grinder to get your mob essence.
3. Extra Utilities. Sigil activation ritual, cursed earth. Very long winded, Google it. Sorry. :p

There might be other ways too but I think the above should be the most popular and easiest method.

Once you got the mob essence flowing, it's time to go use your pokeba*coughs* I mean, Safari Net (Reusable), to catch 'em all!

P.S. Auto-Spawner mobs can be killed for souls to level your soul shards, so if you did use lower tier shards earlier, you can now upgrade the essence farm to a t5 if you want to.

As for your question regarding enderman. Yes, you can use spawn them using the Auto-Spawner. Though I recommend making the room 9 by 9 with 6 height. But that is just me.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Conveyor belts block spawning, so you need a normal area for the mobs to spawn, then wait for them to walk onto the belts.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Conveyor belts block spawning, so you need a normal area for the mobs to spawn, then wait for them to walk onto the belts.
MFR Conveyor Belts? I'm pretty sure they do not block spawning because I use them excessively in my mob grinder, soul shard and auto-spawner both.

But I can't speak for dark rooms and cursed earth, since I do not use them.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Try using a growth syringe on a green slime to get it to max size, then safari net it. If you spawn that in exact mode, this will generate more essence than is consumed by the spawning.

I have a max size steel tank full of essence, and that can probably be obtained in about a day (rough estimate) of continuous operation.