Mekanism: Feature Request Thread

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Invincible? Unless you're relegating yourself to wooden weapons, I doubt they take more than a few seconds to kill. Also, I've never seen a zombie/skeleton with obsidian armour, and they never seem to come with more than two bits of armour at a time. A minor pain in the ass early-game, but after about two hours, I have an iron sword, and can deal with them handily. Unless you're playing on Hard difficulty, or something, I suppose...

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
That probably includes a a lot of cool stuff though. Next world I gen is going to have difficulty enhancing mods anyway.
No, it includes your basic pick, shovel, axe, sword, and the infamous Paxel, one for each type of material added by Mek, and a suit of armor basic armor for each.

Reactions: epidemia78

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Invincible? Unless you're relegating yourself to wooden weapons, I doubt they take more than a few seconds to kill. Also, I've never seen a zombie/skeleton with obsidian armour, and they never seem to come with more than two bits of armour at a time. A minor pain in the ass early-game, but after about two hours, I have an iron sword, and can deal with them handily. Unless you're playing on Hard difficulty, or something, I suppose...

Well now that you mention it I was a scared, confused noob when I last tried mekanism. I know all sorts of tricks now, Im sure I can handle them.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
I thought i was good at minecraft.... but then i added Mekanisim, hunger overhaul and special mobs...
Pfffffffffffft. Play blood n bones, add all of the above, play on hardcore and ads every single difficulty enhancing mod you can finsd. THEN you may be considered an entry level noob to hard :p

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, the only problem I have with the mobs having Mek armour and tools is that they all end up damaged and taking up tonnes of space in my AE system...and that's after manually going thru and repairing everything I have. I need to find some way to melt them down back into their constituent components...perhaps I could add a few conversions for AetherCraft.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Honestly, the only problem I have with the mobs having Mek armour and tools is that they all end up damaged and taking up tonnes of space in my AE system...and that's after manually going thru and repairing everything I have. I need to find some way to melt them down back into their constituent components...perhaps I could add a few conversions for AetherCraft.
Simple Recycling Mod will handle that, combined with some system to repair the items. Only items it can't handle are the Mek Steel.

My main concern with the Mek Tools is how excessive their stats are when compared to vanilla and mod equipment, plus how it overloads the mobs with equipment.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but even getting Mek steel requires a bit of work, so its more a question of investment vs. benefit. Also, their stats are, if memory serves, totally configurable.

I actually like having the zombies, skellies, and pigmen spawning with the Mek armour and tools. It adds colour to their palette, and you could even roleplay that the ones using Mek armour and tools are the undead remains of an ancient, advanced civilization.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yeah, but even getting Mek steel requires a bit of work, so its more a question of investment vs. benefit. Also, their stats are, if memory serves, totally configurable.

I actually like having the zombies, skellies, and pigmen spawning with the Mek armour and tools. It adds colour to their palette, and you could even roleplay that the ones using Mek armour and tools are the undead remains of an ancient, advanced civilization.
I think either your memory fails, or my config tweaking fails, but I don't believe anything regarding Mek tools is configurable. I would love to change the weights assigned to giving mobs that equipment. I've even used FatherToasts mob properities mod to try and overwrite what Mek Tools does, with no joy. Since play at Hard Difficulty and with Zombie Awareness, Mek Tools had to go. Would love to have it, but needs some config options.

Reactions: Mevansuto

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I think either your memory fails, or my config tweaking fails, but I don't believe anything regarding Mek tools is configurable. I would love to change the weights assigned to giving mobs that equipment. I've even used FatherToasts mob properities mod to try and overwrite what Mek Tools does, with no joy. Since play at Hard Difficulty and with Zombie Awareness, Mek Tools had to go. Would love to have it, but needs some config options.
Using Mekanism 6.0.3.30, literally the first section of the config options in Mekanism.cfg (in the root config folder) is called "armor-balance." The second-to-last section in the selfsame file is called "tool-balance." I have the file open right now, I've even got a screencap:

(Yes, my Windows theme colour is purple, what of it?)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ah, interesting, those config options don't exist for me. I'll have to get it to make a fresh config and review the options available.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Shouldn't be too much of a hassle, and you may also need an update, depending on which version of Mek you're running.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Version 6.0.4. Easy stuff to do, just annoying (for me) that these configs didn't generate that stuff earlier, oh well :p

Edit: Interestingly, in 6.0.4 those config options don't generate. Wonder if they still do work if present.... Time to test

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
That is a tad queer. I mean, if it had an effect on the balance of a server, I'd agree with doing away with them, but as it stands, it either effects SSP (which, in this case, doesn't matter as much because there's only a single party involved), or the host of a SMP server (who should inform their players of non-default configurations, anyway).

unpairedbracket

Jul 29, 2019
I've recommitted the balance configs, they disappeared somehow during the update to 6.0.4 and you're the only people who noticed. Also, mob spawn armour rates are now configurable, default chance is (as it has always been) 3%. I've cherry-picked the recommit onto master so if you update to build 35 it should be there.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I've recommitted the balance configs, they disappeared somehow during the update to 6.0.4 and you're the only people who noticed. Also, mob spawn armour rates are now configurable, default chance is (as it has always been) 3%. I've cherry-picked the recommit onto master so if you update to build 35 it should be there.
Sweet.

Just highlights how most people don't pay any attention to config files. :p

3%? That's very low, and not the chance I've been experiencing in the past. More like 30% (on hard difficulty). But, will give build 35 a go.

unpairedbracket

Jul 29, 2019
I know what you mean about the chance seeming to be more than 3%; in my own experience it seems like more than that as well. I have noticed (and this is just anecdotal, I haven't looked into it in code) that armoured mobs seem to be somewhat light-resistant, so they seem to survive during the day for a lot longer than normal mobs. This would make it seem like a higher proportion of mobs are spawning with armour than actually are.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I know what you mean about the chance seeming to be more than 3%; in my own experience it seems like more than that as well. I have noticed (and this is just anecdotal, I haven't looked into it in code) that armoured mobs seem to be somewhat light-resistant, so they seem to survive during the day for a lot longer than normal mobs. This would make it seem like a higher proportion of mobs are spawning with armour than actually are.
Just tested (using in conjunction with Father Toasts Mob Properties), used a load of spawn eggs, didn't see an Mek gear.

Explored while at night, still didn't see any Mek mobs. Then I saw 2. Shortly after that, I saw a lot more (especially glowstone, you can't miss that!). But, overall, it still feels less than previously. I am going to try changing it to just a 1% chance. Since I also use Zombie Awareness, any helmed zombies stick around which can make mornings a drawn out task of pest control. Some days, I'd be finishing pest control and it would be almost night again! :S Purely down to the combination of mods being used.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Something I would like to see in this mod: Block Breakers and Block Placers.

I was thinking that there could be three tiers of them: A simple, low-tech one, that simply places/breaks one block in front of it when it receives a redstone pulse. And that's about it.

Tier two would require power, and would come with both a range boost of 8 blocks in a line in front of them, as well as adding different redstone options. (Always on/Ignore redstone, Only on with redstone, Only on without redstone, redstone pulse) Additionally, upgrades can be added to increase range, but at the cost of more energy used per operation.

Tier three would require teleportation cores, and would expand its range to be a 3x3 area in front of the block breaker, extending 8 blocks from the front. This would allow for even more configuration, including block filtering and setting only specific areas that are within range to be placed/broken. Additionally, its range can be configured and moved (To an extent) to be nearly any rectanguglar shape by trading off axis. (For example, reducing the distance forward that it can go by 1 in exchange for 1 additional range downward) Also, this third tier would consume considerably more power then the tier 2 breaker, and can also have its range upgraded, with the same caveat of more power draw.

Reactions: Mevansuto