Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
I have been playing Magic Farm 2 for 2 days now and I have a real love hate relationship with it (I love the difficulty, but that doesn't stop me from raging), and I assume most people who play it feel fairly similarly. I created this thread so people would have a place to tell their tales and spread their words of wisdom about this pack. And rant in anger. There will probably be a lot of that.

To start it off, the very reason I thought to start this: Infernal Silverfish. Deadly world has added patches of silverfish everywhere. Once you have a decent copper sword, they aren't a problem until you encounter a "special" one from Infernal Mobs Since you can't kill it in one hit, it calls all its friends, including more Infernal silverfish, which means even when you are decked out in full diamond gear, you are still very dead.

As for advice, good early game food is Meaty stew as long as you have a bit of meat of any kind. A bit later you should move on to BLTs which are fairly easy to make once you have the right seeds and pigs to kill.

Anyhow, go forth, share your wisdom, and vent.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
I really enjoy magic farm, some of the infernal mob combinations can be tricky, especially the ones that take your weapons, but you can always alter configs if you really cant stand something, its only when you are getting established that they can be deadly, if you can kill them they have good drops
A change of location might be all you need

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I've hit several "rare" Silverfish, but haven't hit that one yet. Sounds nasty !

And, yes, the worst mobs are the weapon stealers.

Overall, I'm loving the mod-pack. All the mods work very well together and I'm in no hurry. Enjoying the journey ;-)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I have been playing Magic Farm 2 for 2 days now...

It gets better from there. Unlike vanilla MC and most other modpacks, surviving the first few (real life) days while improving your tools, weapons, armor, and food source is a real challenge. It was a good 2 weeks in RL before I could stay out at night and not die due to:

A) not enough armor
B) not able to eat fast enough to keep hunger from dropping
C) not killing zombies fast enough to prevent swarming
D) random "rare" mob kicking my arse

The first few times I got caught out at night or tried to be brave, I got my arse handed to me. I learned to run from rare mobs until I had enough armor and decent set of weapons to take them down. And, yes, I have died to silverfish.

I'm also enjoying farming and making more complex recipes. Cooking in MF2 is so much than vanity / role-playing.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
that's the charm of MagicFarm, it may kill you and make you rage, but it's to be expected and actually becomes fun to challenge yourself to stay alive.
I like infernal mobs, but I would never install it on my personal modded world because there's 1 problem that I hate about infernal mobs, every type of mob has the same chance of getting the traits...
instead I would like it that the easy mobs have the easy traits, and the more difficult mobs have the more difficult traits. also some mobs should be blacklisted for infernal mobs, though I don't know if that's already done in MagicFarm. though I'm saying this because the one time I did had infernal mobs installed on my personal world, I came across some infernal animals from time to time, which just doesn't really make much sense :p

so to summarize it, Infernal Mobs should change it in my opinion so that easy mobs get easy traits, and the hard mobs get the hard traits. with this the easy mobs will have the more useless loot, and the hard mobs get the more valuable loot.

as for those silverfish... whenever I find silverfish which I can't fight at that time. I just climb up a block or 2. ofcourse this doesn't work if they're attacking you, but having a ladder nearby helps.
as for food, I don't know how the items are named exactly, but pam's add berries to the world gen which spawn quite frequently, they're forge dictionairied with the tinker's berries. pam adds a tool that's made out of some stone, in which you can turn the berries into some sort of drink. this doubles their saturation from half a drumstick to a full drumstick. it still isn't much, but can really be helpful during the first few days

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
It gets better from there. Unlike vanilla MC and most other modpacks, surviving the first few (real life) days while improving your tools, weapons, armor, and food source is a real challenge. It was a good 2 weeks in RL before I could stay out at night and not die due to:

A) not enough armor
B) not able to eat fast enough to keep hunger from dropping
C) not killing zombies fast enough to prevent swarming
D) random "rare" mob kicking my arse

The first few times I got caught out at night or tried to be brave, I got my arse handed to me. I learned to run from rare mobs until I had enough armor and decent set of weapons to take them down. And, yes, I have died to silverfish.

I'm also enjoying farming and making more complex recipes. Cooking in MF2 is so much than vanity / role-playing.

I play about 5 hours a day, so I blow through it. At the time of me posting this thread I was already at bronze tier (I got to skip iron as I was lucky enough to TNT trap blow up next to tin ore) was decked out in full diamond armor from infernal mob drops, and had a decent sized underground farm (when I first start out in a world, all my farms are underground so I don't have to risk going out ore getting my food messed up by mobs).

I encountered the worst Infernal Silverfish yet; Blinding, disarming, fireball throwing. RAAAAAAAAAAWR

Anyhow more advice.
  • If you see a chest in a random place DO NOT APPROACH IT. It is guaranteed to be trapped. I have found invincible zombie spawners (which I recommend you do not destroy, it can be handy for leveling up TiCo weapons), primed TNT spawners and flaming arrow spawners.
  • You should get a Scythe as soon as you can. This will really help you with Silverfish which WILL be a problem you want knockback and sharpness
  • If you encounter a dungeon made of nether brick, when you find the final room, (which you will recognize because it is very open and filled with lava and that floor has a lot of instant damage dispenser traps) charge that spawner with at least a bronze pickaxe with at least 1 level of haste. It is a Wither boss spawner, and you will be in a world of hurt if you don't destroy it before it spawns.

I found that Wither spawner about 50 blocks directly below the cave that I am using for a home, by which I mean the it was highlighted by my home waypoint. Scared the shit out of my when I found out what it was, but I was already destroying it by the time that happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: MigukNamja

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
meh... dropping my MF2 venting and advise thread for this MF2 venting and advise thread.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
How I deal with MF2:

1 Always have a bed
2 Juicer
3 Smoothies
4 Beheading is fun, grinding is boring
5 Animal Farms
6 Giant farms full of every kind of crop
7 Caving is easy
8 Silverfish are evil, don't strip mine
9 Arrow Spawners? I have a friend I'd like you to meet, it's called a wall
10 See a lone chest? Walk up to it, see the TNT and run away. PROFIT!
11 See a Zombie who can throw you AND web you? don't go under a two high ledge, trust me...
12 A Partridge and a Pear Tree
13 Begin the game by walking around collecting fruits like a nomad
14 Never Run
15 OCD your food
16 Cleaver, nough said

Result: Currently Bronze Tier, 0 Deaths, 6 Large 9x9 Farms, 4 Cows, 3 Sheep, 2 Chickens, Starting Automation Now

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
how does one make a hoe? Do really have to make an iron hoe? what can I make a mattock out of?

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
how does one make a hoe? Do really have to make an iron hoe? what can I make a mattock out of?
Yes on the iron hoe. Jaded made it like that so not starving would be more of a challenge.

I'm tempted to try to play magic farm in hardcore mode, but I would probably end up having to start over so many times....

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
last time I checked you could make a mattock out of pure copper, that is each piece must be copper(or other metals when you get that far).

Mingan

Jul 29, 2019
I absolutely love this pack. Its so nice to have a challange, be scared of mobs again, run around leveling up weapons and tools is awesome :)

I had trouble making a mattock, i tried to use a wooden handle at first, i don't really understand why it should be metal

The sleeping bag is a lifesaver for going out foraging

I feel i should some how disable the option to break and pickup berry bushes. Im fine with them generating, but being able to pick them up and replant them is too overpowered for my taste - i just didn't pick them up in my latest playthrough.

I found the thaumcraft lightning wand really helpful against the infernal mobs.

The biggest problem i had was with the nether. It kept killing me, and i still don't understand why sometimes the pigmen randomly attack. Losing my leveled up tools in the nether happened more than once.

I had an AE network for all the seeds and foodstuffs but i ended up shelving the entire system because it took too much power and i didn't feel like setting up a treefarm/charcoal setup - i felt the whole MFR automation setup didnt really match my base which was mostly designed around magic, in the middle of a magicforest

Reactions: MigukNamja

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
Drying racks (2planks--) are good at the beginning turns zombie flesh to food, I dislike having useless items:p
get a recipe book for harvestcraft
Love the sleeping bag and I make the gold bag of holding asap, dont like the type specific backpacks so much but like many things if you learn how they work properly I think they might be more useful, I wish every mod had a book included.
Yup all copper is first mattock, fruiting trees are good = fruit+sapling, recrafting a crafting table makes it keep placed items when closed, saves tons of time!
Dont grow crops underground though, I know JCat has changed it so that now they can grow slowly underground, but they grow fastest with nothing above them.
I'm enjoying the challenge, Hexxit was soo easy.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Drying racks (2planks--) are good at the beginning turns zombie flesh to food, I dislike having useless items:p
get a recipe book for harvestcraft
Love the sleeping bag and I make the gold bag of holding asap, dont like the type specific backpacks so much but like many things if you learn how they work properly I think they might be more useful, I wish every mod had a book included.
Yup all copper is first mattock, fruiting trees are good = fruit+sapling, recrafting a crafting table makes it keep placed items when closed, saves tons of time!
Dont grow crops underground though, I know JCat has changed it so that now they can grow slowly underground, but they grow fastest with nothing above them.
I'm enjoying the challenge, Hexxit was soo easy.

the problem with rotten flesh is you either need to kill mobs, which in early game means you're pretty much wasting more saturation on killing the zombies then what you get in return. you could ofcourse wait till morning so the zombies die, but you risk the chance of getting creepered or sniped by skeletons hiding in the shadow

John.E

Dec 18, 2013
Doral, FL
The biggest problem i had was with the nether. It kept killing me, and i still don't understand why sometimes the pigmen randomly attack. Losing my leveled up tools in the nether happened more than once.

I'm pretty sure that's Nether Ores. If you mine a nether ore it will cause Pigmen to get angry at you (I think you're safe if you mine normal nether resources like Quartz or Glowstone). Also, I think BOP adds a flesh Biome that might have a similar effect.

Mingan

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure that's Nether Ores. If you mine a nether ore it will cause Pigmen to get angry at you (I think you're safe if you mine normal nether resources like Quartz or Glowstone). Also, I think BOP adds a flesh Biome that might have a similar effect.
Thats what I thought, thats how it should work right?

But i found i was attacked regardless of doing anything. Before gathering a thing, just walking around finding a place to set up some outpost type structure. Id see some passive pigmen running about, no problem, but suddenly there'd be an angry pigman or infernal version or whatever that'd just go balistic. Which of course sets of the mob mentality of the rest

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
the problem with rotten flesh is you either need to kill mobs, which in early game means you're pretty much wasting more saturation on killing the zombies then what you get in return. you could ofcourse wait till morning so the zombies die, but you risk the chance of getting creepered or sniped by skeletons hiding in the shadow
Its easy food and I seem to end up more than I want every time! you are right that its not worth fighting much till you get established with something better than flint! still punji sticks can be fun with zombies AI

I've only managed short nether trips, wither wart got me last time, no idea what it used for but it withers you and looks like nether wart.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I had trouble making a mattock, i tried to use a wooden handle at first, i don't really understand why it should be metal

I think it's to force (encourage) foraging, which is not a bad thing. It gets you out and about. My usual mode is "mine, upgrade base, rinse, repeat". Boring, really. I'm glad MF2 forced me to get out more :)

I found the thaumcraft lightning wand really helpful against the infernal mobs.

Ah, very good to know. I've been thinking the same and have been steering my TC4 R&D in that direction. The worst mobs for me are the lifesteal ones. I had a lifestealing baby zombie. He killed me once, I respawned, he started chasing me again. I almost could not run outrun that little bugger.

I had an AE network for all the seeds and foodstuffs but i ended up shelving the entire system because it took too much power and i didn't feel like setting up a treefarm/charcoal setup - i felt the whole MFR automation setup didnt really match my base which was mostly designed around magic, in the middle of a magicforest

I'm totally with you there. Only automation I have so far are TE3 itemducts and one Forestry multifarm, and I'm planning on replacing the multifarm with TC4 Lumberjacks. I plan to use Ethanol for power for ExtraBees and AE, but will keep those out of sight. No MFR yet. It fits the least, IMHO, of all the mods. It's too industrial for my MF2 tastes.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
No, I have been having the same problem with the pigmen. I made 1 short trip to the nether and found myself mobbed by Pigmen almost immediately. I think it might have to do with Special Mobs or Infernal mobs.

I'm totally with you there. Only automation I have so far are TE3 itemducts and one Forestry multifarm, and I'm planning on replacing the multifarm with TC4 Lumberjacks. I plan to use Ethanol for power for ExtraBees and AE, but will keep those out of sight. No MFR yet. It fits the least, IMHO, of all the mods. It's too industrial for my MF2 tastes.
Just a thought, but Forestry is REALLY high tech. You are analyzing the genome of bees and selectively breeding them to get super bees. That is difficult for real life scientists. Comparatively, automated cow breeding and slaughter is relatively simple. Food for thought.