Machine Or Building First?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
How do you do it?
I seem to be building my building with a rough Idea of what I want to accomplish and then build my machines.
Curious as to how others do it.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I spend 2 days (RL days) mining non-stop, usually at this time I'm a caveman.

Once the 2 days are up I evolve into an architect and design/build my home. Because I suck at designing a house I usually google MC buildings and copy one.

Once built I move in and start machine building.

Reactions: Riuga

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I build The Hovel of Shame ... it is always my tier 1 HQ. No real planing or anything just storage and machines everywhere. I use that while I get my actual base built up to the point I can start moving stuff in.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
i always build a small house, get the basic machines. then lay the foundations of my new base around my old one.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't want to build another house later and if you don't want to have to worry about it, you should get some basic machines in a cave or something and then build a huge epic base with tons of things built in for use with the different mods when you're ready to move in and put your machines in it. Otherwise, you'll keep promising yourself that you'll pretty it up later but you won't ever do that.

Depends if you're more like Etho or Direwolf20. If you're on the Direwolf20 side, you'll probably want to get a really basic house (a box with glass in it) and put your machines all over in it. If you're more on the Etho side, you should probably make something creative and interesting and then place your machines in it afterwards.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I usually just live in caves, so I have to excavate before I can install the machines.

I'm trying to build nice houses, though. Honest.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I like to plan ahead to make sure stuff fits and is properly aligned. This is my current base on our server, loosly based on a Simcity forest arco:
NuePP4G.png

First I build a shack with my basic machines / storage. I then build the bottom layer (is now used for power generation) where I build a more advanced version of a 'basic' base. Then when I had all the floors laid out I moved all the machines to the proper locations. The entire second layer is used for automation. And I have plenty of space left :)

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
That's a good idea for designing a base. Make it really easy to expand, like what you've done there.

By making a small flat circle-based house like that, you can easily just add another circle to it when you need more room. Looks awesome, by the way.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
@b0bst3r... I hear that.. Ugh
@Saice... I think we all do that.. Well at least I do! Quick before it gets darks and the Creepers start chasing me.
@Mjw... Sounds familiar. I tend to cut down as many trees as possible while its daylight and as soon as it gets dark dig into the side of a hill.
@PeggleFrank... I play the DW20 pack so i know him. Whos Etho? Sounds intriguing.
@YX33A... Arnt we all. Some just have the knack don't they.
@Hydra... Very Cool. And on a populated Server very practical. Saw the Pic before reading and reminded me of Dune 2000. I have Not played SimCity. Not sure why I thought of Dune but I did.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
@Hydra... Very Cool. And on a populated Server very practical.

Yup. It's exactly aligned on 3x3 chunks so I don't have to load more than 9. Everything is inside those chunks. A lot better than my previous more unplanned base that had stuff spread out a lot more.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I build The Hovel of Shame ... it is always my tier 1 HQ. No real planing or anything just storage and machines everywhere. I use that while I get my actual base built up to the point I can start moving stuff in.

Have you seen my dirt hole? (Well, it's more of a sandhole) :D

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I am at the point where I'll shoehorn everything into a cave untilI have aadequate resources for a proper base. That or the previously mentioned hotels first are appropriate.

I feel that it's easier to build what you want once you have a certain level of resources.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
My generic plan:

1) 1 RL day of mining
2) [insert unoriginal mostly square bulding here]
3) Machines
4) Godmodeleetarmorofopness
5) Go down into a cave
6) ???
7) celebrate my birthday in the cave
8) I forgot what the sun looked like

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
I usually build my first base in a decent cave. Then I start building my base so I can eventually move things in

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
One: Find nice spot
Two: Find material to build with
Three: Basic hut with bed n stuff
Four: Build a 18X18 square, exactly containing a chunk
Five: Mining
Six: Machines

SpoonsV

Jul 29, 2019
Well, when I build machines I like to combine the single block machines to make bigger ones.

In this case, I will make the machine out in the open and then build the building around it. I would rather my building be limited by the machine within rather than the other way around.