Tabula Rasa/Custom Items discussion (was Longshot Request - hopefuly very simple)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Bit of a longshot, but could someone with the skills make a very simple 1.6.4 mod that just adds 16 blocks (stone behaviour mining level) and 16 items, all with unique names and textures.
No actual textures, crafting recipes, world gen spawning, etc required.

I basically need some spare blocks/items that I'll give textures, Display Names and recipes/functionality via Minetweaker.
Could also be of use for other people who make themed packs heavy on Minetweaker, being able to manipulate some "blank canvas" blocks/items to make new blocks/crafting component items.

TIA

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Bit of a longshot, but could someone with the skills make a very simple 1.6.4 mod that just adds 16 blocks (stone behaviour mining level) and 16 items, all with unique names and textures.
No actual textures, crafting recipes, world gen spawning, etc required.

I basically need some spare blocks/items that I'll give textures, Display Names and recipes/functionality via Minetweaker.
Could also be of use for other people who make themed packs heavy on Minetweaker, being able to manipulate some "blank canvas" blocks/items to make new blocks/crafting component items.

TIA

I don't know enough about Minetweaker to know what it can do, but would this be just 1 Block ID and 1 item ID?

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Well, let me know if this is what you had in mind.

The /cofh/TabulaRasa.cfg file lets you tweak the block's hardness and resistance, as well as names and textures for the block and item.

Didn't test the texture part out, but it *should* work.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57416963/TabulaRasa-1.0.0.jar

EDIT: Actually, item textures aren't going to work right now. Whipped that up in a hurry before heading out for work. Will fix it later. :) Pretty sure I can give the block a bit more configurability too. Might even port this thing up to 1.7.2.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

The /cofh/TabulaRasa.cfg file lets you tweak the block's hardness and resistance, as well as names and textures for the block and item.

EDIT: Actually, item textures aren't going to work right now. Whipped that up in a hurry before heading out for work. Will fix it later. :) Pretty sure I can give the block a bit more configurability too. Might even port this thing up to 1.7.2.
Wow! Thanks KL.

To answer your original question, yes, it would be just one block ID and one item ID, with multiple Meta, and a texture for each. Just like your ore blocks and Metal Blocks in TE3. Hardness and Resistance is an unexpected bonus.

Minetweaker at it's basic level lets you change/remove the 3x3 crafting recipes, add/remove furnace recipes, manipulate oreDictionary and change DisplayNames. But you are restricted to working with items/blocks that exist. If you wanted to expand the crafting chain of an item with a brand new item, or have your own fancy brick walls using a texture you must die for, you are stuck. Its also got a lot of mod support too.

Having these "blank templates" available to manipulate will expand on options available to themed packs (such as Arg Skies for example). If someone is doing a peaceful pack, they could make "ore blocks" that smelt into Slime, Blaze Rods, Enderium Ingots, whatever, and place them in the world via CofHWorldGen.

For myself, I've replicated the 1.7.2 Railcraft "Poor Ore" (ore blocks that can only be smelted into nuggets) in 1.6.4 using some other mods decorative blocks I know I'll never use, but I've hit a couple of minor issues that would be solved with the blank templates. I also have some ideas for some component items.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Narc

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Wow! Thanks KL.

To answer your original question, yes, it would be just one block ID and one item ID, with multiple Meta, and a texture for each. Just like your ore blocks and Metal Blocks in TE3. Hardness and Resistance is an unexpected bonus.

Minetweaker at it's basic level lets you change/remove the 3x3 crafting recipes, add/remove furnace recipes, manipulate oreDictionary and change DisplayNames. But you are restricted to working with items/blocks that exist. If you wanted to expand the crafting chain of an item with a brand new item, or have your own fancy brick walls using a texture you must die for, you are stuck. Its also got a lot of mod support too.

Having these "blank templates" available to manipulate will expand on options available to themed packs (such as Arg Skies for example). If someone is doing a peaceful pack, they could make "ore blocks" that smelt into Slime, Blaze Rods, Enderium Ingots, whatever, and place them in the world via CofHWorldGen.

For myself, I've replicated the 1.7.2 Railcraft "Poor Ore" (ore blocks that can only be smelted into nuggets) in 1.6.4 using some other mods decorative blocks I know I'll never use, but I've hit a couple of minor issues that would be solved with the blank templates. I also have some ideas for some component items.

Sounds easy enough. I might have hijacked the naming feature then, sorry if I have, heh. I can add per-meta resistance/hardness. I'll try and do that.

And since it's an item ID anyways, it's not hard to provide *up to* 32k items. Just need an elegant way to configurize that.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Sounds easy enough. I might have hijacked the naming feature then, sorry if I have, heh. I can add per-meta resistance/hardness. I'll try and do that.

And since it's an item ID anyways, it's not hard to provide *up to* 32k items. Just need an elegant way to configurize that.
I just thought a few items would be enough. Any more than that, and really you are approaching the realm of a "dedicated" mod, not a "tweak".

Oh, also, while you are here. Is it possible to get COFHWorld gen to generate just single blocks? It seems any cluster size smaller then 4 doesn't generate anything.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
if you get into the more involved scripting of minetweaker you can edit any part of the nbt of the crafted item, not just what you listed. I am thinking of doing a tutorial series on all the tools at pack makers disposals, just to get people to make good, thought out, packs without thinking they need to learn java to do it.

thank you for this little gem of a mod @King Lemming I was wondering how hard dynamic blocks would be to implement. This is basically a proof in concept for something I either may try to do or recruit someone to do, since my java is not well.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I for one would like that
if you get into the more involved scripting of minetweaker you can edit any part of the nbt of the crafted item, not just what you listed. I am thinking of doing a tutorial series on all the tools at pack makers disposals, just to get people to make good, thought out, packs without thinking they need to learn java to do it.

thank you for this little gem of a mod @King Lemming I was wondering how hard dynamic blocks would be to implement. This is basically a proof in concept for something I either may try to do or recruit someone to do, since my java is not well.
I for one would like that!

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I just thought a few items would be enough. Any more than that, and really you are approaching the realm of a "dedicated" mod, not a "tweak".

Oh, also, while you are here. Is it possible to get COFHWorld gen to generate just single blocks? It seems any cluster size smaller then 4 doesn't generate anything.

In 1.6.4, no. In 1.7.2, I'll add a new gen type for that. The 1.6.4 gen types are based solely on vanilla's algorithms.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Total support, I've been trying to get one of those "easy to use" mod maker tools, but mCreator won't install and I forget why the others didn't work

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

would it also be possible to tweak the drop of a block?
what I mean is if you don't mine the block with a certain tool, another type of block drops.

I was mainly hoping to use this for mods which add their own stone generation. it's nice if there's 1 or 2 new stones, but you've some mods that adds dozens of them with very high world generation spawning.
with that you could tweak it so only normal cobblestone would drop if you'd mine it, unless you're using a silk touch pick

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Sounds like that might be a more of a MineTweaker addon, it's currently being re-written and tested, so you could suggest it there.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just gonna bump this - new version out w/ the texture fix. Oh, and up to 32k metadata for the item. And per-metadata hardness/resistance for the block. Enjoy. :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57416963/TabulaRasa-1.6.4-1.0.0.jar
OK, think I'm being dense, but I can't get textures to work.

I added a tabularasa folder to my personal resource pack - C:\Games\Minecraft\Famine2\resourcepacks\Golriths Remix\assets\tabularasa, put some textures in, adjusted the config, textures not loading.

S:Texture.0=tabularasa/iron_ore_poor
S:Texture.1=tabularasa/gold_ore_poor

tried both with and without .png on the end.

Any forum topics for that? I can't find anything about that elsewhere. If you just made that for him, I truly applaud you my good sir. Oh and it can work items too right?
You have 16 Blocks, and can configure up to 32k items. Just remember they are component items, that don't actually do anything.
I think KL is planning on porting to 1.7.2.

The only thing I think people may "scream" for is more blocks, I can just imagine comments such as "WTF Dude! I has 32k items but only 16 blocks? that sux!11!1!" (gah, that was painful writing like that...)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ooops! Bug Report.

Digging up any of the blocks always results in the first meta zero block being dropped.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Ooops! Bug Report.

Digging up any of the blocks always results in the first meta zero block being dropped.

Yeah, forgot the default behavior on blocks is stupid. Fixed that.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57416963/TabulaRasa-1.6.4-1.0.0.jar

Didn't bother renaming, sorry.

Anyways, as far as textures go, your string should read <mod>:TextureName (no .png)

and for blocks, that'll end up in mod/textures/blocks/TextureName

for items, it will be mod/texture/items/TextureName.

So basically that "/" should be a colon, and then in the /textures/blocks/ subdirectory of tabularasa in your assets folder, or at least I assume. Check another texture pack for the directory structure, but I believe I am correct.

Reactions: Fixided and psp