Liquid Tesseract limits

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ExEvolution

Jul 29, 2019
I've been doing some testing, messing with a boiler on my test world and I found out that, at least on 1.5.2, tesseracts have an input limit of 100mB/t per side. Meaning that a liquid tesseract has a limit of 600mB/t total for input, they still have no apparent limit for output.

To max out a a HP36 steam boiler using tesseracts, it takes 2 tesseracts taking the steam input with 9 liquiducts attached to the boiler with 480 mB from the second tesseract to spare. If you have 2 boilers it takes 3 sending tesseracts to max it.

1 Boiler = 720 mB/t, 1 Tesseract = 600 mB/t, 2 Tesseracts = 1200 mB/t
2 Boilers = 1440 mB/t, 2 Tesseracts = 1200 mB/t, 3 Tesseracts = 1800 mB/t
3 Boilers = 2160 mB/t, 3 Tesseracts = 1800 mB/t, 4 Tesseracts = 2400 mB/t
4 Boilers = 2880 mB/t, 4 Tesseracts = 2400 mB/t, 5 Tesseracts = 3000 mB/t
5 Boilers = 3600 mB/t, 6 Tesseracts = 3600 mB/t

Because of these limits, I've found that the best setup for boilers is in groups of 5, if you plan on transporting the steam with tesseracts. This is the design I came up with
2013-07-05_07.50.16.png

With the steam being converted into EU with power converters (as a side effect, it also made it much easier to figure out where the limiter was). 5 Steam boilers running this setup, if you can provide the fuel, provides 1700 EU/t and no steam is wasted, it uses the full 3600 produced steam. I'm fairly sure the tesseract nerf was pretty recent
2013-07-05_08.00.46.png

If you're wondering, the numbers are fluctuating because of the way I have the receiving tesseracts set up, I was just trying to ensure there was no bottleneck I was not seeing

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
It's because of how you have the tesseracts setup with the liquiducts. Instead of how you have it set up have 8 liquiducts connected to the boiler with the tesseract in the center. That should increase the throughput.

ExEvolution

Jul 29, 2019
8 liquiducts would pull 640 steam, not the full 720 that the boiler produces. I tested all this on a single boiler before making the other 4, each face of the tesseracts will only receive 100 mB no matter how much you attempt to pipe into it

Psyestorm

Jul 29, 2019
This is actually due to a change in liquiducts and not tesseracts. Liquiducts now only output 100mb/tick per block (a block with 2 connections will output 50mb/tick to each output)

Your setup of 5 boilers uses the fewest resources, but for people who like compact designs, you may prefer this one. It requires extra tesseracts, but is only 1 block high and can be chained across boilers.

2utJeGB.png

WnpJ7vn.png

Tesseracts do not have input or output limits that I have been able to find. This can be tested by attaching a steam producer at EV(8192) directly to a liquid tesseract. Note that each steam consumer can only consume 1000mb/tick on the other end while receiving.

Reactions: Runo

Psyestorm

Jul 29, 2019
8 liquiducts would pull 640 steam, not the full 720 that the boiler produces. I tested all this on a single boiler before making the other 4, each face of the tesseracts will only receive 100 mB no matter how much you attempt to pipe into it

In 1.4.7 the 8 liquiducts with a tesseract in the center worked because liquiducts could input more than 100mb/tick and the face of the tesseract on the boiler also counts as an input.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
yea, doing a few tests now and noticed something was rotten in denmark. I'm working with some new designs though so that should help a bit. right now I have a design that uses two tesseracts and 10 liquiducts on a single boiler (more for looks) place on the sides, but want to improve it a bit so it can work in a 4 boiler setup without taking up much more space.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
And done, have a 4 boiler setup that uses 12 tesseracts to fuel 72 engines by only using the spaces between the boilers, so it's a 7x4x7 setup (not counting the fireboxes). Pics, soon™.
XFvu80b.jpg

nJeeONr.jpg

The first pic is the completed form, the second is a cross-section to see the blocks placed in the cracks. the bottom tesseract is for fuel.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
And done, have a 4 boiler setup that uses 12 tesseracts to fuel 72 engines by only using the spaces between the boilers, so it's a 7x4x7 setup (not counting the fireboxes). Pics, soon™.
XFvu80b.jpg

nJeeONr.jpg

The first pic is the completed form, the second is a cross-section to see the blocks placed in the cracks. the bottom tesseract is for fuel.
I think you can remove the 4 center tesseracts. Each of the 3x4 constructs should be able to transport 6x100mB (via the liquiducts) + 2x80mB (direct contact to boiler) = 760mB, with only 720mB needed. Depending on the distribution algorithm you may need to place one liquiduct somewhere in the center column to connect the four rings for optimum distribution.

ExEvolution

Jul 29, 2019
This is actually due to a change in liquiducts and not tesseracts. Liquiducts now only output 100mb/tick per block (a block with 2 connections will output 50mb/tick to each output)

Your setup of 5 boilers uses the fewest resources, but for people who like compact designs, you may prefer this one. It requires extra tesseracts, but is only 1 block high and can be chained across boilers.

2utJeGB.png

WnpJ7vn.png

Tesseracts do not have input or output limits that I have been able to find. This can be tested by attaching a steam producer at EV(8192) directly to a liquid tesseract. Note that each steam consumer can only consume 1000mb/tick on the other end while receiving.

I had done something similar with mine before I went to sleep to cut back on resources and reduce the vertical height.
2013-07-05_14.32.09.png

The distance between each boiler can still be reduced, the Aqueous Accumulators can be placed below, next to the ME Export bus to further save space, the whole design can be expanded similar to a solar flower.

I guess a problem with cutting back on the number of tesseracts used is that you must use all 6 sides of it to max out the boiler, making for taller designs

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
When I tried it with a different setup it didn't push through enough steam so I went a bit overkill on it. I would say it would probably be fine with only 2 of the 4 center tesseracts though, but I went with that design since I wanted to get a compact build done quickly.

tompy97

Jul 29, 2019
I just did a test setup using a steam producer producing 200,000mB of steam per tick, being fed into a tesseract, which fed into a quantum tank. I ran the test for 10 minutes and got pretty much exactly 1000mb of steam per tick.

This is not 100% accurate of course, because the quantum tank may have a limit on the amount it can input. More testing to come...

tompy97

Jul 29, 2019
I set up another few tests. I had the same setup as above, but was outputing to 4 different tesseracts and quantum tanks, The result was almost exactly 250mb/t was output to each tank, therefore suggesting that the input tesseract has a limit of 1000mb/t of steam.

The next setup involved 4 steam producers producing some 20,000mb/t of steam all being sent into the same tesseract frequency and output to a single tesseract and tank. The result was the tank filled up at almost exactly 4000mb/t of steam. I may do further testing to see if the tesseract has an output limit, but i don't think it does.

TL DR I don't think tesseracts have a limit to how much they can output, but the limit of input appears to be 1000mb/t

edit - Somewhat confirmed, did the test again with 10 producers and the tesseract output 10,000mb/t of steam

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested around a bit. If you have a linear chain of boilers, use the setup from Psyestorm. If you have clusters of four boilers, use the setup from Daemonblue without the four center tesseracts (they aren't needed), just put a liquiduct somewhere to connect the four rings for a more stable transfer. Both use 10 liquiducts + 2 liquid tesseracts per boiler.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
OP, thanks for creating this thread. I was totally unaware of the liquiduct change and had stayed away from steam due to valve limits in 1.4.7. Decided to have some steam power in my current build and ran into similar problems as before, but no tank this time. Almost rage-quit using steam again, then stumbled across this thread. My setup looks a little wonky [didn't want to rearrange my boilers], but at least I've got my first block of 72 ISEs running at max output.

Good thing I'm currently lead-rich too and bless the angry endermen!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
OP, thanks for creating this thread. I was totally unaware of the liquiduct change and had stayed away from steam due to valve limits in 1.4.7. Decided to have some steam power in my current build and ran into similar problems as before, but no tank this time. Almost rage-quit using steam again, then stumbled across this thread. My setup looks a little wonky [didn't want to rearrange my boilers], but at least I've got my first block of 72 ISEs running at max output.

Good thing I'm currently lead-rich too and bless the angry endermen!
A nice source for the limit of the different piping solutions:
http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Steam_Boiler#Setup

Cory Morgan

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC, Liquid Tesseracts do not have a limit but you need to find an inventory (or a pipe/duct) that can accept it.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
IIRC, Liquid Tesseracts do not have a limit but you need to find an inventory (or a pipe/duct) that can accept it.
Yeah it functions as a tank. Same as Endertanks etc. Its the input/extract methods that are limited.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Tesseracts have no limit, they are just a direct connection from one place to another. If a pipe at one end can output 1 hojillion mb/t and a pipe at the other end can receive 1 hojillion mb/t then the tesseract just connects one to the other and let's them do their thing.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Why do people send steam somewhere? Set up your steam engines right next to it and convert it to power right there, then run lossless/near lossless cable to your base to avoid Tesseract energy loss. For things far away from your base, your going to need to tesseract the power and get the energy loss with either setup.

Tesseracts have no limit, they are just a direct connection from one place to another. If a pipe at one end can output 1 hojillion mb/t and a pipe at the other end can receive 1 hojillion mb/t then the tesseract just connects one to the other and let's them do their thing.

Yup. The liquiduct connections are the bottleneck.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.5.2, I do pipe steams since I'm using power converters on site where I need the juice. That way I got no loss from sending it through enwrgy tess.