Lets talk about mod support

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I saw a comment on reddit about Electrical Age not having enough "mod support"(inability to convert RF to Electrical Age power.). I will not be linking to the thread or user, since that is a d move. However, I will be talking about my view on mod support(specifically, RF.)

RF is great, to start off with. It's low lag, simple for modders to hook into, and is used by many mods. But! It doesn't work for all concepts. Lets take Rotary Craft shaft power, okay? You've got three numbers going on. Speed, Torque, and Power. That is how the balance works. Math. Now, I am not a coder, but I can't see how you would accomplish this with the single power unit that is RF. I understand that modders can make RF have things like loss, but RF would not work in this scenario.

Okay, we've accomplished some modders CAN'T use RF as their power system, so they make their own system. Then somebody comes along and asks "Can you add RF support?" Fine, you can make a machine to convert to RF from your power without wrecking balance. Nope, not good enough. Now you are pressured into making a machine to convert to your power from RF. This poses the problems presented above. Balance! Suddenly, people are bypassing completely the unique power system you put hours and days of work into. Do you realize how insulting that can be to the mod author? So, then you try to balance the converter(see Rotary Craft magnetostatics.) And then the community whines about it, finds a way around the balancing, and starts to abuse it even more. More balancing follows, then you alienate the people who were using the converter to just make movement of your power system over long distances easier, but still use your generators.

The point of all this is don't pressure the modders to add RF->Their power converters. It puts unneeded stress on them and starts drama. Mod devs are making these mods for free. They are making the mod THEY want to play. They are just kind enough to share their mod with you. I'm not saying you can't suggest additions/changes to a mod. I'm saying when asking for RF/mod support, THINK FIRST.
RF doesn't have a place in every mod.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I like it when mods (like RotaryCraft does) do add ways to convert back and forth from RF but only if it is done in a way that actually makes sense. With the relatively recent changes to RotaryCraft so that magnetostatics also require lubricant and you actually have to go through the proper RotaryCraft tiers to be able to make the different levels of magnetostatics I think adds a lot to prevent bypassing the fun bits of this mod :)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
What I think mods that don't use RF should do is (unless it makes no sense to) is to add a converter TO RF (e.g. EU to RF) and if they don't I can understand the community whining. A lot of machines use RF nowadays, so it'd make sense to be able to have the one power outlier (E.g. a mod pack with Thermal Expansion, IC2 and Mekanism as the only tech mods) have a way to just produce the outlier power source (EU) to RF, so they don't need 2 types of generators. BUT! NEVER should they say we want RF to convert TO your power source (RF - EU in the case I am using) as some mods make RF REALLY easy to get (big reactors, extrautil, etc.) so the EU "threat" of using a Nuclear Reactor for good power production is now gone, as you can use a big reactor to power everything, explosion free.
I have never really played around with RoC because it confuses me a little too much, and I am too lazy to work stuff out, but I know it is balanced around the shaft power thing, and I am pretty sure hooking up a big reactor to it would be pretty much impossible to make it balanced... So, yeah. I don't know how to end my rant, but that's what I think.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Yes, why not convert thaumcraft essences into RF while we're suggesting weird things :)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
People should be intelligent enough to recognize the differences between an RF powered mod and one that is trying to do something different. (Rotarycraft and Electrical Age).

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
The average peep is stupid and wants the easy way

I personnaly disagree with power gen interaction, makes more gameplay!

Remember the days when we had a nuclear reactor for EU and then a steam boiler with steam engine for MG? Well thats gone now... And this is sad... Now we got an op big reactor that powers five bases...

IMHO, i would disable every power transformer and then i would have fun :3

ganon5069

Jul 29, 2019
"Gosh, come on Way! Don't you think it is about time you add an RF -> LP converter?"

That is my thought. ;3

NO WAY you can't do that, love the LP system it has the best use for mob farms it actually makes them useful beyond the general lameness ^^ i know full well you aren't likely to do that. Personally i feel like this Convert to RF and Convert From RF sucks like hell, i love the challenge in providing a unique system for each of my project whether it is a EU powered ore production farm or a Blood Magic Mob farm to fuel my insane needs in that area. I feel that if we could just convert to and fro then what is the point of say make a nuclear reactor to power your base or farming oil in that specially made mystcraft age to power your buildcraft machines. Yes to some extent it's nice to see but not in the levels we are seeing now.

I love seeing all the machines and wires trailing my base because it shows that i planned out what i was doing took the time to then make each and every part of the system and i didn't bypass any of it at all.

TlDR: Converting to and fro RF blows unless it's done artfully or it's the main system and balanced well. Mods such as Blood Magic are awesome for their own power systems (LP)

ganon5069

Jul 29, 2019
I was just about to write the same thing myself.

Converters only work if they add to the overall gameplay/mechanics, rather than circumvent them.
[Forestry's electrical engines are kinda neat actually]​

This is what i said but had to go through a mile of my patented Jargon and rambling Thank you Celestial for it ^^

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I was just about to write the same thing myself.

Converters only work if they add to the overall gameplay/mechanics, rather than circumvent them.

My favourite way of EU/RF (MJ) conversion is using the pressure system from PneumaticCraft. It requires a lot of "watching" you can't do too much at a time, and you can't just magically convert power. And you are ALWAYS at a loss for power conversion. You lose a bit of efficiency through each conversion (RF -> Bar -> EU) It's not hard to do, but you can't do it all at once, just in case your pipes explode

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
My favourite way of EU/RF (MJ) conversion is using the pressure system from PneumaticCraft. It requires a lot of "watching" you can't do too much at a time, and you can't just magically convert power. And you are ALWAYS at a loss for power conversion. You lose a bit of efficiency through each conversion (RF -> Bar -> EU) It's not hard to do, but you can't do it all at once, just in case your pipes explode
Btw, I dislike that the only way in PnC to get high peressure is by using the kinetic compressor or the EU one. Or is the lightning driven compressor even useful?