Lets See Some Bases! Give Us a Tour!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Windows blue screened on me yesterday...and something got badly f'd up with AromaBackup and it hadn't made an actual backup (despite its insistence that it was, indeed, doing backups) for over a week. So, I lost aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall that work. God damn it.
Oh dude...! :( That's poor fortune man, I feel for you.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Windows blue screened on me yesterday...and something got badly f'd up with AromaBackup and it hadn't made an actual backup (despite its insistence that it was, indeed, doing backups) for over a week. So, I lost aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall that work. God damn it.
unexpected shutdown?
With minecraft running while some of chicken bones mods are present?

It sounds like a case of one of those files being corrupted (once again). Look at the support section and sadly enough, a lot of the crashes are from those mods. Not to talk bad about him or anything, I really can't live without NEI or enderchest but please, for the sake of everything that is holy he needs to find a way to stop or at least lower the amount of times his mods get corrupt.

"easy" fix though just go to your world folder and delete the appropriate folder for the mod that is causing problems. (if its enderchests, delete the enderchest folder for example.) It will probably ruin some things, in the case of enderchests its that you will loose all the items inside them but its better then having no world anymore.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Nothing is worse than losing a world. Nothing. I had a massive one, with a huge long railway, and more planned out, and I'd just started setting up some really cool things, and... boom, world corruption. No backups because that's what I'd been getting ready to do. Turns out I had a RAM stick that worked loose, and caused the entire computer to blue screen.

I'm still disappointed because it was such an awesome base. Oh well.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Tried all that, alas. The world's NBT data had gotten corrupted. I may just fire up a new one, instead...ugh.
NBT data? as in the level.dat file? You can technically copy one from another world, however it may have some side effects. First of in single player it uses that file instead of the player.dat files to store inventories and it also stores the numeric id's to string id's thing. As a result, your world may look rather strange after it is done.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Yeah. Its... not good. I spent about 4 hours the other night just breaking and placing dirt, trying to level out a large area...

You HAVE seen my bases, right? They're not exactly works of art...hell, one of them is a 6-sided house next to a lake. I'll be posting either today or tomorrow more shots from my Regrowth world because I've gone back to that one for a few days - it's starting to pick up steam again (hehehehe...steam boilers!) and I'm adding machinery, so it's not just a farm with no workers any longer. I think my next step is to craft a laser table, then I'm going to see about making robots to harvest my fields...having unlimited resources just isn't good enough when I have to go out and pick them myself.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
You HAVE seen my bases, right? They're not exactly works of art...hell, one of them is a 6-sided house next to a lake. I'll be posting either today or tomorrow more shots from my Regrowth world because I've gone back to that one for a few days - it's starting to pick up steam again (hehehehe...steam boilers!) and I'm adding machinery, so it's not just a farm with no workers any longer. I think my next step is to craft a laser table, then I'm going to see about making robots to harvest my fields...having unlimited resources just isn't good enough when I have to go out and pick them myself.
Hehe :D Well, fair point. I wasn't able to get anything done last night, it was all going fine until suddenly it wasn't. Finally got round to watching O Brother, Where Art Thou?, so it wasn't a total washout of an evening. But I will return to it... Soon (No trademark)

Reactions: JaRyCu

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
You'll meet my lawyer in the court.
Is it a kangaroo court? 'cause those things are cool.

In other news: Are there any particular tips or tricks anyone has on building decent looking industrial buildings? Does it help to have extraneous pipework, ducting and so forth? I need to look back at some of @rhn's earlier builds I think.

Reactions: JaRyCu

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Exposed pipework and power conduit works quite well, as long as you run it in an organised way. Keep it to the edges and follow the contours of a build along walls, or hang it from the ceiling if you'd prefer a shorter route.

Machinery is a primary design feature- so make a feature out of them. Immersive engineering scaffold blocks work rather well for raising them off the floor. (makes them look bigger, and gives more height variation).
-does a machine take/produce liquid? give it some big tanks from Railcraft.

As for the factory buildings
-solid fuel furnaces and smokestacks? The smoker block (Railcraft) can really finish the look. And it responds to redstone control- so a bit of sideshow magic [Buildcraft gates] and a blast furnace can belch out black smoke when its running.
-skylights in the roof, with the roof typically flat or with long, shallow corrugations. (I've never finished the roof- always another floor to add :p)
-windows in the walls are optional- some factories don't, but those that do use either a lot of glass for as much natural lighting as possible- or have a row of windows higher up on the wall.
-avoid flat walls; add in some supporting pillars and crossbeams to support the machinery. Small details like support brackets go a long way.

Lighting- harsh white lamps from Redpower ect, or a grimier darker look with lanterns from Railcraft or Immersive Engineering.

If you're going ultra modern- use a lot of white, bright lighting, big clean open space with minimal clutter (use tesseracts or hidden piping).

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Exposed pipework and power conduit works quite well, as long as you run it in an organised way. Keep it to the edges and follow the contours of a build along walls, or hang it from the ceiling if you'd prefer a shorter route.

Machinery is a primary design feature- so make a feature out of them. Immersive engineering scaffold blocks work rather well for raising them off the floor. (makes them look bigger, and gives more height variation).
-does a machine take/produce liquid? give it some big tanks from Railcraft.

As for the factory buildings
-solid fuel furnaces and smokestacks? The smoker block (Railcraft) can really finish the look. And it responds to redstone control- so a bit of sideshow magic [Buildcraft gates] and a blast furnace can belch out black smoke when its running.
-skylights in the roof, with the roof typically flat or with long, shallow corrugations. (I've never finished the roof- always another floor to add :p)
-windows in the walls are optional- some factories don't, but those that do use either a lot of glass for as much natural lighting as possible- or have a row of windows higher up on the wall.
-avoid flat walls; add in some supporting pillars and crossbeams to support the machinery. Small details like support brackets go a long way.

Lighting- harsh white lamps from Redpower ect, or a grimier darker look with lanterns from Railcraft or Immersive Engineering.

If you're going ultra modern- use a lot of white, bright lighting, big clean open space with minimal clutter (use tesseracts or hidden piping).
Awesome, these are fantastic tips, thank you @Celestialphoenix! :) Although railcraft isn't in the pack I'm using, I reckon there are things I could do with the IE silos and tanks to accomplish that; there is ProjectRed so some cabling along walls could be just the ticket! Great idea about the skylights too - I'm thinking maybe white or light grey stained glass to emulate that translucent plastic/glass look? Cheers again!

EDIT: Do you still get some smoky particles from flames? There are redstone igniter type blocks I reckon i could stick into the top of a smokestack to do something there...

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Time to update another base! This isn't my Regrowth, Crackpack, or Forestry base. I've posted this one before, but I have no clue if it was this thread or somewhere else. This base is in my FTB Infinity Evolved (normal mode) single player game I'm currently playing. I probably tried for 20-30 minutes to find a good seed that I liked. Out of sheer boredom, I tried "Boobies" (no quotes) and came up with this area! I love boobs, and this is just another reason why!

First, let's go with the main house. It started off as a dirt shack, but I quickly replaced the walls with wood, added in Jabba barrels and Storage Drawers, and it took off. The room on the right started off as a separate machine building. It had 1 stirling generator and the basic capacitor, then it expanded to 2 gens, then I added in 2 TE leadstone batteries. Right before I logged off, I took out the gens and added in 2 lava generators hooked to an ender tank piping in lava from the nether. I'm tired of feeding coal to gens.

c6eflE3.png

I also have a separate building just for storage drawers. Currently it holds only food and a few odds and ends, but I've just obtained all of the AE2 presses, so I'm about to setup an ME system and then expand that building into a full ME computer hub.

3jN5fjG.png

My base from across the lake:

OUlBDs6.png

My farm with one of those tanks that just kinda fills itself up. I pipe that into sprinklers so all the non-crop crops grow really fast. (I'm also tired of crop breeding and 10/10/10's.)

89BGA9C.png

Tonight's big project was grabbing a blaze spawner from the nether and setting it up close to my base. I swam/glided across the lake and set it up on the far shore, just in case something got loose. I've got a diamond chest and 3 of the BC tanks stacked so that I can get all the loot as well as the mob essence. Since I was feeling lazy, I crafted a straw and I just stand there and sip until I can't sip no mo.

HkuBHNj.png

Finally, sunsets are my favorite part of Minecraft. Over 75% of my bases are on a beach facing west so that I can watch the sunset every evening. This one's not, but I still caught an amazing sunset while I was out exploring.

uILLlFI.png

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
how would you guys like to see a functional moving spaceship/jet?

With screenshots, written explanations of everything, and a short video showing what it can do

I prefer a very detailed, 3 dimensional schematic with fully-annotated YouTube videos where you've edited in hand-drawn, custom grafix, and a random floating avatar of my head that pops in every 3.27 seconds.