Lava Transport

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

McGuy

Jul 29, 2019
Fairly New to Feed the beast and I was wondering how do i go about transferring lava from the nether to the overworld into my Iron Tank.

How do i set it up and what do i need if anyone could explain it would be gratefully kind of you.:)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Use either a thermal expansion tesseract or a ender storage ender tank :).

As far as setting up goes, both are just "plonk it down on the output and input". Tesseract frequencies and such are set in the GUI, endertanks use color coding with dyes. Tesseract auto-output automagicaly, endertanks need to be set to do so by turning the walve(You'll know it once you see it)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
look up tesseracts. look up cans and liquid transposers. look up ender tanks. look up golden pipes. look up liquid ducts. look up Buildcraft pumps. you will need a power source or engine to power your pump. There are so many ways to go about it, it is best that you look up those topics from the various wikis and figure which is best for you according to your tech level at the moment and your available resources.

neiromaru

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to get a bit fancier, I prefer to mine netherrak in the nether (with a turtle or quarry) then use a tesseract to send it to my base where a magma crucible turns it into lava. The magma crucible can be powered by 8 magmatic engines (which run on the lava) and still produce surplus lava.

Pumping lava out of the nether tends to produce a lot of lag since flowing lava blocks are so complex, and pumping out a lava lake will create thousands of them.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to get a bit fancier, I prefer to mine netherrak in the nether (with a turtle or quarry) then use a tesseract to send it to my base where a magma crucible turns it into lava. The magma crucible can be powered by 8 magmatic engines (which run on the lava) and still produce surplus lava.

Pumping lava out of the nether tends to produce a lot of lag since flowing lava blocks are so complex, and pumping out a lava lake will create thousands of them.

Will it bother a whole server or just someone in that area? Did you run into trouble using turtles? I used a script 20 times in the over world and never had any trouble but I ran it once in the nether and lost a turtle somewhere. Sucks

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013

true... exactly why I try my hardest not to pump lava. If I do, I go to an area I will never be around, pump the heck out of it, then leave it. Can't stand lag that much. Rather mine rack and 'process' it to lava.

neiromaru

Jul 29, 2019
Will it bother a whole server or just someone in that area? Did you run into trouble using turtles? I used a script 20 times in the over world and never had any trouble but I ran it once in the nether and lost a turtle somewhere. Sucks

It seems to mostly be a problem for people in the nether who are trying to render those blocks.

And yes, losing turtles in lava pools is a risk. Make sure they're chunk loading turtles, or just use a quarry or frame/mining well setup.

On my current server we have a mystcraft age that's just an ocean of lava which several people pump out of, and it doesn't seem to have affected lag outside of that age.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you're still using one of the pack that has GT in it, then you can use the adv. pump. It removes the flowing blocks of lava.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
It seems to mostly be a problem for people in the nether who are trying to render those blocks.

And yes, losing turtles in lava pools is a risk. Make sure they're chunk loading turtles, or just use a quarry or frame/mining well setup.

On my current server we have a mystcraft age that's just an ocean of lava which several people pump out of, and it doesn't seem to have affected lag outside of that age.

it was a chunk loading turtle. it mined quite a bit, but then never re-appeared back at the start point. oddly i had just realized i had 3 turtle issues in the same day yesterday, but before that, not one single issue. Only started when i was running turtles in the nether.

Turtles can fly right through lava, which was why i was thinking they would work in the nether. The basic excavate feature would be ideal for the nether (the script i use in the overworld leaves most of the cobblestone so its faster than a basica turtle) but with that basic program, the turtle will just stop if it bumps into a mob. The script i use will attack the mob if it runs into one.

Oh well, turtles are cheap, even chunk loading mining turtles. :)

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on your pack, you can use ender thermic pumps. Exactly like a buildcraft pump but it replaces lava sources with stone after pumping it, so no lag.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you're still using one of the pack that has GT in it, then you can use the adv. pump. It removes the flowing blocks of lava.
or, for the unleashed pack, (for OP, codes "FTBUnleashed") the extrautilities Ender Thermal Pump is a nether-only lag-free lava pump. doesnt update, replaced lava with stone. also chunkloads, and doesnt have to be placed directly over lava, but does have to be one block above lava layer.

another BC solution not using ender tanks/tessaracts is using a pump, transposer, enderchest.
punp goes to transposer, lava is put into cells which go into an inter-dimensional endechest. you can now put the cells into a barrel, or drain them with another transposer into a tank and send the cells back (the latter is ideal because you dont have to use tons and tons of stacks of cells. a good compact setup will only need a stack of cells, and you will always have extra cells JIC.

also, if you can, use Xycraft Multitanks or GT quantum tank for storage over iron tanks. Xycraft tanks can be made out of natural materials, and can share sides. take a look at the FTB wiki on these, theres a few points you need to be aware of. biggie is that data is stored in the valves. two valves, 16000 in tank, break you, you now have 8000. railcraft stores data in the botom center block of the tank. you can break everything else, even use that block as a corner for a new tank to move the thing. (slowly, but it can be done)

quantum tank has 2 million bucket capacity. VERY expensive.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Depending on your pack, you can use ender thermic pumps. Exactly like a buildcraft pump but it replaces lava sources with stone after pumping it, so no lag.
looked it up. looks like it is under the extra utilities mod. oh yeah... its in the dw201.5 niiiiiiiiccccceee. can't wait to use that. man... 2 next door huge oil spouts, now a lag free nether for lava, My front door looks out to a red wood tree in the distance, started out next to a dungeon with a for2 enchant book, nether portal happened to get within 100 blocks of a fortress, I'm in a plains and its flat for days, my spawn isn't a '9x9' map, but its about as cool. Looks to be a nice map run through....

AlwaysGoofingOff

Jul 29, 2019
My setup was ender tank. Ultimate mod pack. BC pump, two redstone engines, ender tank, chunk loader. In over world, ender tank to access. That was it. Only having two redstone engines made it slow but it was more than enough to start with and could have easily been expanded. Although I wouldn't use magmatic engines. They overheat too fast unless you invest gates to monitor them.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Extra Utilities also solves this problem by providing a nether lava pump that automatically replaces the lava blocks with stone/cobblestone to keep flowing blocks from crippling FPS.