Is modded Minecraft 1.8 happening?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I couldn't find any recent discussions on this here, so I thought I'd start one.

Well, like the title says, does it seem like modded Minecraft 1.8 actually will happen? I know that Forge is ported and quite a few mods do exist, but the vast majority of the well-known ("larger") mods haven't been ported yet and there is still considerable activity for 1.7.10.

Is the rendering issues that was mentioned initially still a problem? Have mod developers (in general) decided to wait for 1.9? Any other insights?

Please note that this isn't a "where the heck are the 1.8 packs?!?!" rant in disguise, I'm just curious about the current status and where things are headed for modded Minecraft.

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
I couldn't find any recent discussions on this here, so I thought I'd start one.

Well, like the title says, does it seem like modded Minecraft 1.8 actually will happen? I know that Forge is ported and quite a few mods do exist, but the vast majority of the well-known ("larger") mods haven't been ported yet and there is still considerable activity for 1.7.10.

Is the rendering issues that was mentioned initially still a problem? Have mod developers (in general) decided to wait for 1.9? Any other insights?

Please note that this isn't a "where the heck are the 1.8 packs?!?!" rant in disguise, I'm just curious about the current status and where things are headed for modded Minecraft.
I did read something About that a while ago Saying that its not done because the Main Focus is on 1.7 atm
So its just not done because they Dont Feel like they brought 1.7 to its Limits yet
Something like That

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Please, there are lots of discussions about modded 1.8 on various platforms.

But tl;dr is no. No way.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
It probably won't happen due to several internal changes Mojang made. I can't quite remember what they are, but it makes porting any mod with custom rendering (so a ton of them) a pain. Because of that, a lot of devs have said they will not be moving (InfinityRaider and KingLemming for example).

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I cant think of a single interesting thing Mojang added since I started playing 1.2.5. It really pisses me off because the constant update cycle is a huge detriment to the mod community. Great mods dont get updated or improved because the authors get burned out from doing the same job over and over. Hell, I am burned out having to put together new packs all the time.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Please, there are lots of discussions about modded 1.8 on various platforms.

But tl;dr is no. No way.
Please feel free to provide some links to posts that I missed here, or discussions elsewhere. Or elaborate on your tl;dr. :)

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
There was a time when I recommended modders update to 1.8 and to just work around Forge's self-imposed limitations and Mojang's bugs, but not anymore. The only reason to develop for 1.8 at this point is to familiarize yourself with concepts that'll be in 1.9. But this of course is working under the assumption that Forge for 1.9 won't be restricted even further, and honestly I don't see any reason to assume that it'll solve many qualms that modders had with 1.8 in the first place. And on top of that, 1.9 snapshots still include 1.8 snapshot bugs.

Content-wise, 1.8 wasn't particularly appealing, where as 1.9 has been making some significant changes, so that alone might be enough to coax modders over regardless of all the Mojang and Forge issues. But even if so, you're still looking at months before there's anything resembling a stable 1.9 modpack. I'd just sit tight and enjoy any benefits gained from sticking with 1.7.10 for so long, while it lasts.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I cant think of a single interesting thing Mojang added since I started playing 1.2.5.
There was the removal of item ids, which I guess was Mojang's doing, in 1.7.10. Whoever did it, I'd say it's the single greatest improvement for modded Minecraft so far. Though in terms of actual game content, I can perhaps see your point.

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the popular mods decided to skip 1.8 and go straight to 1.9. It has been said that porting a 1.8 mod to 1.9 won't be nearly as difficult as porting 1.7 to 1.8, so the mods that are already out for 1.8 will likely be ported to 1.9 quickly once 1.9 sees a full release and Forge gets updated to 1.9. At that point, the mods that are still at 1.7 might as well jump straight to 1.9 rather than update to 1.8.

Although if a lot of the popular mods don't get ported at all and decide to stick to 1.7 indefinitely, then it's likely that there will be separate modding communities for 1.7 and 1.8/1.9, with different sets of mods available on each.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
There was the removal of item ids, which I guess was Mojang's doing, in 1.7.10. Whoever did it, I'd say it's the single greatest improvement for modded Minecraft so far. Though in terms of actual game content, I can perhaps see your point.

Ok, other than that. But there used to be mods that automatically assigned IDs so... And besides the item IDs are still there in a more obscure fashion and actually can get mixed up under certain circumstances. Like if you remove mods after generating a world.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019

It's a common misconception that IDs are gone. Mojang never actually got rid of them. Prior to 1.7, blocks and items just used big arrays to hold the various instances of each, and to get a block or item you specified the index (aka the ID) into those arrays. 1.7 introduced registries, which is basically a structure which holds the numeric ID, object instance, and object name, allowing you to obtain any of those pieces of information if you have any of the other pieces, which is handy. They also then refactored the game to take advantage of this, basically removing references to numeric IDs in almost every circumstance (with some exceptions). But the IDs themselves are still static, manually specified when they register the items and blocks. There' s no automatic or dynamic ID allocation system. Not only that, but no ID-to-name map is stored in the world save, so there's no way that dynamic IDs could even be used by vanilla Minecraft.

Forge overrides the item and block registries, allowing them to be remapped, and saves the information in the world save. It's led to a few issues that we didn't previously have to deal with, but overall is advantageous.

So far, Minecraft 1.9 still works the same internally in that respect as 1.7 does. Though 1.9 is introducing registries for other things now as well, like potions.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
I think the main issue is that it would be a lot of work to go to 1.8, and then a big chunk more going to 1.9. It seems that its better to wait for 1.9 to settle because overall it would be less work skipping 1.8.

This being said, if 1.9 comes out and they announce a 2.0/1.10 that has more drastic changes I will expect 1.9 to be skipped.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I cant think of a single interesting thing Mojang added since I started playing 1.2.5. It really pisses me off because the constant update cycle is a huge detriment to the mod community. Great mods dont get updated or improved because the authors get burned out from doing the same job over and over. Hell, I am burned out having to put together new packs all the time.
But... but.... the horses!

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
It's a common misconception that IDs are gone. Mojang never actually got rid of them.
Not gone entirely (in the technical sense), but gone from mod pack creation in most cases I'd guess.

I added ~120 mods to my own pack without changing a single id. If it hadn't been for some Forge vs. mod version dependencies / conflicts, it would have started up first try. No other improvement comes close IMHO.

Well OK, being able to "paint" by click - hold - move in the crafting area is up there too. :)

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Not gone entirely (in the technical sense), but gone from mod pack creation in most cases I'd guess.

Yep, and 1.9 will remove even more IDs from needing to be set by the user (like potions as mentioned), as long as Forge implements similar systems as it did for blocks and items. I haven't looked deep enough in the code to see where else Mojang might be doing this, but I'm hoping it'll extend to entities, biomes, villager types, etc.

The reason numeric IDs still exist internally is because of storage and network reasons. It's not feasible to use the name of a block in those circumstances.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Chocohead

Jul 29, 2019
This being said, if 1.9 comes out and they announce a 2.0/1.10 that has more drastic changes I will expect 1.9 to be skipped.
It's Mojang we're talking about here, they'll take so long people will get bored skipping 1.8 and 1.9 to wait another half a year minimum for Forge to update when the next version is finally released.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Haha, yeah right. I rode one once for about five seconds. SO. MUCH. FUN.
Then you got too close to a creeper and it blew up.
I have this issue with pets and followers in EVERY GAME - doing irreparable damage to something which it is possible to get emotional attachment to is not worth it. I'm tentatively taming dinos in ARK survival, but I've named them Alpha, Alpha I, Alpha II... I plan on continuing that, using a different greek character for every species of dinosaur (currently, I've just go Dilos). Point being, yeah... The content in the updates isn't that great. 1.9 looks like it has the potential to be good, though; I hope they emphasize the dual wielding (looks like they're not doing it how I would do it, so it may well not be that).

Reactions: JunpakuKarasu