Information on New Gregtech Update? [Mindcrack v8.2.0]

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
Does anybody have any information on the new alloy smelter, automatic canning machine, wiremill, automatic furnace/macerator/extractor/compressor/recycler, and digital chests? Greg seems to have provided only short descriptions in the changelog, and some of them sound pretty interesting. I'm particularly curious about the recipe details, as well as if anybody has had success with the digital chests in a sorting system.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
All the recipes for and of the new machines are available in NEI.

Automatic X will automatically spit out all of its outputs once a minute to the marked output face. If that's too slow for you, you can also pull items from that side using wooden pipes/transposers/filters/translocators/etc. You can reorient the output face with a wrench. As a downside, you can't put upgrades (overclockers, ...) in them.

No idea about digital chests, they are supposed to be functionally more or less equivalent to barrels. I think they have slightly higher capacity, but I might be wrong.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently the wiremill is somewhat more efficient at producing copper cables - you need only one ingot for three wires, compared to three for six.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
You could argue it. Obviously you have to have IC2 installed, but it may be possible to just use GT. MAY.
if you have to have IC2 installed for it to work, then it's not a standalone mod.
Hell, very few mods actually are as most need forge... but if we're talking standalone as not needing any other content mods to work, then GT is NOT standalone.

Reactions: Dravarden

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, sorry GT is not a standalone mod since it needs IC² to run, but that isn't the point. GT with IC² is a standalone package that isnt made for opperation within a modpack and can be run alone therefore adding som smarter output funktionality with the automatic machine is nice even though the same funktions can be found in TE, since GT doesnt relly on TE to run

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Standalone package?

Standalone mod pack that is standalone but has multiple mods

Yep, that makes total sense right there.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, give me a break. You guys are babbling about technicalities.

GT 'enhances' IC2. It's almost like the modules that are included in RP2. Would you consider RP2 a stand alone mod if you use the same definition? No? That's because it has a core and other modules. RP2 core would be a standalone mod, and under your definition of GT, the other modules wouldn't.

Work with me, guys!

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway...back on topic...

Thanks for the responses. I can't seem to find the recipes in NEI - anyone else finding this?
How do you mark a side of a machine? And how do the GUIs work (what do the electricity button, arrow button do)?

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
The gregtech Digital Chests hold 512 stacks. What makes them better is they use alot less resources to render in game (barrels use around 10x CPU cycles, it adds up. my 60 bareel room uses 5-8% of teh total rendering time). Whats bad (and retarded to have left out) is they dont show a icon of what is in them visually. For me, that is not worth the performance tradeoff. Who the fuck wants a room filled with digital chests and either not knoiwng what the hell is in them, or having to use a while row just to put a display up showing whats in them and making moveing items even more of a pain in the ass? Sticking with barrels until he adds that major feature.

crazy_fab

Jul 29, 2019
Another feature of digital chest i that they should keep the item they have even if empty as long as you fill them three item at first.
Neat if you don't want your storage to be mixed up when you empty one digital chest.
And for those wondering Omnitool work on gregtech advanced recycler and probably other advanced machine, but it's not clear on which face to click or shift click.

Vixation

Jul 29, 2019
The gregtech Digital Chests hold 512 stacks. What makes them better is they use alot less resources to render in game (barrels use around 10x CPU cycles, it adds up. my 60 bareel room uses 5-8% of teh total rendering time). Whats bad (and retarded to have left out) is they dont show a icon of what is in them visually. For me, that is not worth the performance tradeoff. Who the fuck wants a room filled with digital chests and either not knoiwng what the hell is in them, or having to use a while row just to put a display up showing whats in them and making moveing items even more of a pain in the ass? Sticking with barrels until he adds that major feature.

Greg fully intended not to have a display Like the barrels, because he has his focus on an as much as possible lagfree world/mod. Looking from that angle, 5-8% is quite a lot.

Reactions: Guswut

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
if you have to have IC2 installed for it to work, then it's not a standalone mod.
Hell, very few mods actually are as most need forge... but if we're talking standalone as not needing any other content mods to work, then GT is NOT standalone.

Stop being cantankerous, this discussion is a waste of your time and energy. GT maintains a consistent universe that need not intersect with TE or even Buildcraft.

And don't feel the trolls. That post about TE vs. GT was obvious and poorly-done trolling.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Actually you can use GT alone (with IC2), but things get easier as more mods are installed, i.e RP2 for marble dust and rubies, TE ferrous ore, MFFS monazit ore, silver ores from other mods (since GT galena ore) etc.

IC2/GT is pretty hardcore but I don't think many people want to play GT/IC2 alone without other mods.

RedLion86

Jul 29, 2019
The automatic canning machine is now required in order to fill cells. (For example, crafting 1 sulfur dust + 1 empty cell together to get 1 sulfur cell will no longer work.) But I can't figure out how to get the automatic canning machine to work. Anyone have any idea what the buttons in its GUI do?[DOUBLEPOST=1363264126][/DOUBLEPOST]Never mind, figured it out: You can't connect a wire on the front of the machine (the side that faces you as you place it)...which is weird because you can do that with all other IC2/GT machines.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Greg fully intended not to have a display Like the barrels, because he has his focus on an as much as possible lagfree world/mod. Looking from that angle, 5-8% is quite a lot.
trading features to do that isn't a wise method. besides that you are assuming that the display causes the lag. it isn't. Besides that, even if it DID, people are going to naturally put up a display the hard and ugly way anyway so the whole rational is silly not to just include it in a single block/ Digital Chests are inferior to Barrels because of this, as with the correct methods, barrels can also intake from any 'side'.