Request I'm thinking of starting a Semi-Public Modded Server

Lukexj

Jul 29, 2019
I am new to modded and i would like to ask of any experienced server admins on this forum for tips and about general things that i would need to know to run a modded server. I only have some experience with spigot and bukkit. Thanks in advance for any replies to my thread. I'm sorry if i have posted this to the wrong area, as i am new to this forum.

Last edited:
N

NocturnalSergal

Personally my best advice is take your time to do things right.

I have run servers and just got done with a moderator job on a community. And I can say that the biggest thing to making a server that sucueeds is 2 things

1. Being active: this means being on and interacting with players and answering questions, even being on a irc and not in game helps ALOT.

2. Taking the time to setup everything correctly and testing what your hardware can handle, while also setting boundaries to improve performance (opis is your best friend).

But no server I have made was successful for other reasons than that

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
With modded Minecraft, here's something that really grinds my gears and you should avoid at all costs. Don't ban practically every block and item that could maybe, possibly be used for griefing. It's a huge turn off, and why I personally avoid public servers. Also, no stores where you can buy in game items for real world money(using in game money is okay, as long as all the items on the store are craftable.) Put a player cap! Another huge issue with public modded servers is lag, because they have more players on then they can handle. Set limits for how many chunks each player can force load(this can be done through the Forge config.) Restrict the creation of mystcraft/RFTools dimensions. Use OPIS regularly to find chunks/blocks that are causing problems. Make judicious use of anti-griefing plugins/mods. Make sure either you or at least one staff member is on at all peak hours(and if possible, non-peak too.)

That would be all the functional stuff, to make sure everything runs smoothly. Now I'll bring up some stuff that is more of my opinion.

Avoid banning items. Hold the players responsible for using them the wrong way instead. Don't be afraid to punish players!

Make your rules clear and available(both at server spawn, and through a simple command such as /rules). Sometimes, a player may be breaking a rule and won't even know it!

If a player is causing lag, don't punish them! Work with them to try to figure out a better method of doing what they are doing.

Having a well made server spawn that makes use of the various mods is fantastic. But don't make it too big and fancy that a player can't find their way out! Consider using warp signs/commands to teleport them into the wild.

Ban griefers without mercy. Every single time I've tried giving a griefer a second chance, they did it again.

DO NOT BAN ITEMS FOR BEING "TOO OP"!! Yes, you are the server admin. But your job is not to dictate how your players play. Your job is to make sure they enjoy your server and to keep it running smoothly. If they want to use an item that you consider OP, that's their choice.

If you want to allow PVP, consider using a PVP toggle command, so players can choose whether or not they want to participate in PVP.

Reactions: Connor Gavitt

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta ban the greifing items, unless you have a rollback mod/ plugin punishing the griefer will not be enough. The greifed will likely baulk at the idea of rebuilding their stuff and leave the server in a huff.

Of course banning the items does cause the server to feel less fun and kills the freedom feeling the game has. But unless you can undo damage from excessively destructive items syou need to control those items.
No banning should be manageable if the server is private and or whitelisted and heavily exclusive.

To me though the big dealbreaker is lack of protected claim space. Possibly one of the big cause of lag on servers is people trying to build with in their alloted 1-4 protected claim spots a bajillion machines trying to operate in one chunk.
I've left awesome servers that where busy fast and well maintained because they where stingy with plot size. I've stayed longer on crappy servers that where generous with space.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

N

NocturnalSergal

Gotta ban the greifing items, unless you have a rollback mod/ plugin punishing the griefer will not be enough. The greifed will likely baulk at the idea of rebuilding their stuff and leave the server in a huff.

Of course banning the items does cause the server to feel less fun and kills the freedom feeling the game has. But unless you can undo damage from excessively destructive items syou need to control those items.
No banning should be manageable if the server is private and or whitelisted and heavily exclusive.

To me though the big dealbreaker is lack of protected claim space. Possibly one of the big cause of lag on servers is people trying to build with in their alloted 1-4 protected claim spots a bajillion machines trying to operate in one chunk.
I've left awesome servers that where busy fast and well maintained because they where stingy with plot size. I've stayed longer on crappy servers that where generous with space.

Also Fuck the golden shovel bullshit anyone who uses it dosent deserve to run a server

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Also Fuck the golden shovel bullshit anyone who uses it dosent deserve to run a server

Yeah, because servers worth their salt use MyTown...
GriefProtection would be good if it worked with other mods. I don't like chunk bound plots. But mytown is more robust in it's protection.

These days with the advent of FTB utilities and mod based protection like you see in Pneumaticraft I guess these plugins are less needed.

N

NocturnalSergal

Yeah, because servers worth their salt use MyTown...
GriefProtection would be good if it worked with other mods. I don't like chunk bound plots. But mytown is more robust in it's protection.

These days with the advent of FTB utilities and mod based protection like you see in Pneumaticraft I guess these plugins are less needed.

I like the way ftbutils dose jt, but Towny is one of the best still and MyTown is just more of the same Lovely mod benevolent highly configurable plugin I have come to love

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019

That's another thing I forgot to mention. You must have a rollback/logging plugin. There's plenty of them out there. It's lazy to just ban the items, since if you were to ban every item in FTB that could be used for griefing, you wouldn't have any left(not to mention that there's plenty of methods in vanilla minecraft to grief as well.) And yeah, I agree that protection plugins are a must.

N

NocturnalSergal

Prisim or core protect are very good if you know how to set them up and they are super easy to use

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I like the way ftbutils dose jt, but Towny is one of the best still and MyTown is just more of the same Lovely mod benevolent highly configurable plugin I have come to love

Yeah, I would love it if someone made a MyTown bridge for FTButils. Where you have an in game UI to manage plot permissions that MyTown gives. Mytown is robust with features but are hampered by needing to use text commands with syntax that always has you guessing where the command arguments go. Being able to select chunks via a map would be handy too.

mc.crab

Feb 2, 2013
Prism has been by far the best logging/rollback plugin I have used. There was a Cauldron version of it but it has not been updated in a long time. It has been a while since I have last used a logging/rollback plugin, but the biggest problem was that they weren't able to log everything.

N

NocturnalSergal

Prism has been by far the best logging/rollback plugin I have used. There was a Cauldron version of it but it has not been updated in a long time. It has been a while since I have last used a logging/rollback plugin, but the biggest problem was that they weren't able to log everything.
It can't log everything either, but it still is a great tool