Im getting bad Fps on my gaming pc... WHY

Does this happen to you???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2019
i have a amd fx 4100 processor quad core, a nvidia geforce 660 video card, 8 gigs of ram. why am i only getting 30-35 fps with lag spikes?!?! i can run any other game with 60 fps and regular minecraft with 200+fps.... i have NO integrated graphics so i know its not the problem. i allocated 2 gigs of ram to FTB and still no improvement. I have NO machines in my world, its fresh.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
I find it amusing that nearly everyone who whines about low FPS or lag spikes also has a "gaming pc" with specs enough to get you to the moon if you so wish..

I have an ungaming machine that is made of components that cost total 300€~~ 2-3 years ago and I get just fine FPS on FTB <3

Jul 29, 2019
I find it amusing that nearly everyone who whines about low FPS or lag spikes also has a "gaming pc" with specs enough to get you to the moon if you so wish..

I have an ungaming machine that is made of components that cost total 300€~~ 2-3 years ago and I get just fine FPS on FTB <3

yes you are assuming. i'm not mad that its unplayable which its not, just a little mad that a pc i spent 700 bucks on surely be able to play Ftb with 60 fps with less lag spikes on a brand new world with no machines. the cpu is only at 35% while playing, the gpu is not being maxed out ether. is there a specific memory leak or is java need to be configured better with my pc?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I swear to god, I'm going to make a thread just to refer everyone that posts something like this.

Minecraft is NOT coded for mods. It is NOT coded to take advantage of multicore cpus. comparing vanilla to ftb is like apples to oranges.

It doesn't matter how high end your pc is, it's not going to run ftb with as many fps as vanilla. There is far more being done in the background.

Now, there ARE things you can do to alleviate some of the problems. Install optifine, add some JVM arguments, remove some of the lagier mods, etc.

But I will say again, you will NEVER have as good of fps in any modpack over vanilla. At least until mojang optimizes their code for mods.

Jul 29, 2019
I swear to god, I'm going to make a thread just to refer everyone that posts something like this.

Minecraft is NOT coded for mods. It is NOT coded to take advantage of multicore cpus. comparing vanilla to ftb is like apples to oranges.

It doesn't matter how high end your pc is, it's not going to run ftb with as many fps as vanilla. There is far more being done in the background.

Now, there ARE things you can do to alleviate some of the problems. Install optifine, add some JVM arguments, remove some of the lagier mods, etc.

But I will say again, you will NEVER have as good of fps in any modpack over vanilla. At least until mojang optimizes their code for mods.

okay thanks, i did not know this. how can i get it to run with multi cpu cores? and can you teach me how to add the arguments? i just want it to run the best it can and setup my cpu and gpu to make it run better.
I understand your frustration

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
you cant make it run on multicores, mojang has to code in multicore support. though optifine does try, as buggy as it can be sometimes.
the ftb launcher already adds some arguments, but i use multimc so i can use a different garbage collector than the one they are using. while i really like the ftb launcher, that is the only reason i dont use it.
as far as the arguments themselves, you can find them on oracles website, or use the basic set i give everybody that are not tailored to a specific setup. to use them easily, download multimc and in the settings - java tab add the following to the JVM arguments section:

-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=40 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=150 -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:permSize=128m

now mind you, this is just a generic jvm line.

edit: there is an option to import modpacks from ftb once you have one downloaded.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Also, if you aren't already doing so, be sure to install the 64-bit Java. That's /not/ the default install and is easiest done with the offline installer, and 32-bit is necessary for interaction with most web browsers. It's rare for Minecraft, even modded Minecraft, to use more than 2 gigabytes of memory, but the 64-bit version does have some other benefits (and some minor costs due to longer pointers).

((I've also had mixed results from the G1 garbage collector. It's good for enterprise work, if you're using Java in a work environment, but it's kinda meh in minecraft. The alternative startup options of :

Code:
-XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

may be worth testing as an alternative.

Reactions: RedBoss

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Really? I've had much better performance with g1 over cms.

It is java though.

I do get better performance with cms server side than with g1.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=40 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=150 -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:permSize=128m

now mind you, this is just a generic jvm line.

Any chance you could explain what these do?? I've used jvm to up my max RAM which I understand as well as MaxPermSize which I don't... The others you've mentioned might as well be hyroglyphics;)

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions is a command to allow Java Virtual Machine settings that aren't fully supported by Sun. Since full support only means much for folk with a service contract, don't worry much about it. You /used/ to need it for Use1G1C, but I think it's unnecessary now.
-XX:+UseG1GC uses the Garbage-First Garbage Collector. It's a distinct way of clean unused objects from memory, that's supposed to be a little more parallel-processor friendly and reduce certain types of sudden bursts of CPU lock when cleaning large batches of memory simultaneously. It tends to do best when you've got a) large sections things that constantly stay in memory, and b) also have large sections of memory being cleared out -- which /should/ be better, but isn't always.
-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis= and -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis= have to do with how often Java will try to clear unused memory, and how long it can spend at once looking at memory for cleanup. The exacts are beyond the scope of this thread, but suffice to say that lower numbers should reduce garbage-collection related stuttering, at the cost of memory and CPU time (and GCPauseIntervalMillis should always be at least two or three times MaxGCPause).
-XX: PermSize= and -XX:MaxPermSize= sets the default and maximum amount of permanently generated memory, respectively, mostly used for saving method calls. The maximum without the flag may be anywhere from 32-96 MB, but very large programs can need more than that. ((It's also not unusual to have memory leaks in PermGen memory -- MaxPermSize won't fix that, but it'll delay it long enough that it may not be an issue.)) Setting the PermSize assigns the memory early, which can avoid some minor delays latter.
-XX:+AggressiveOpts does some internal Java optimization stuff that hasn't been fully tested. This /can/ cause crashes or unpredictable results, but can be worth a shot.

Reactions: Linda and Eyamaz

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks!!! The garbage collection one should help massively with the lag spikes I get. Watching the memory used it climbs from 4% up to about 50% then drops back down again simultaneously causing FPS to drop to 4 or 5, rinse and repeat... Very annoying

NiftyWaffleBoy

Jul 29, 2019
I played FTB before with just fine fps. But then i got windows reinstalled because i had a virus, now i downloaded ftb again and i only have like 1 fps ( I'm not overreacting ) I have java 64-bit, because i'm running a 64-bit laptop. I'm not sure if this is some kind of bug. Please help me.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
I played FTB before with just fine fps. But then i got windows reinstalled because i had a virus, now i downloaded ftb again and i only have like 1 fps ( I'm not overreacting ) I have java 64-bit, because i'm running a 64-bit laptop. I'm not sure if this is some kind of bug. Please help me.
I'd need further detail to be certain.

Firstly, check that you have the correct graphics driver for your laptop's GPU installed (and if you have nVidia Optimus, that it's sending FTB to the dedicated graphics card). It's likely worthwhile to check your FTB internal settings, especially the amount of memory it allows Java to use. Note that just because you're running a 64-bit OS /does not/ mean that Java will automatically install its 64-bit version. For Windows systems, the web installer will always prefer the 32-bit version, and thus you'll want to use the manual installer.

NiftyWaffleBoy

Jul 29, 2019
I'd need further detail to be certain.

Firstly, check that you have the correct graphics driver for your laptop's GPU installed (and if you have nVidia Optimus, that it's sending FTB to the dedicated graphics card). It's likely worthwhile to check your FTB internal settings, especially the amount of memory it allows Java to use. Note that just because you're running a 64-bit OS /does not/ mean that Java will automatically install its 64-bit version. For Windows systems, the web installer will always prefer the 32-bit version, and thus you'll want to use the manual installer.

I have no idea what you are talking about or how to do that. + I'm pretty sure i installed 64 bit java.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Note that just because you're running a 64-bit OS /does not/ mean that Java will automatically install its 64-bit version. For Windows systems, the web installer will always prefer the 32-bit version, and thus you'll want to use the manual installer.
Iirc, this actually depends on if the bitversion of your browser. I tried it after I switched to Win7-64b with my (already installed browser on another partition) 32b Firefox and was promptly lead to the 32bit Java version. Due to reasons I had to reinstall my FF anyways (this time the 64b one) and rightly so got directed at the 64b version of Java.
I have no idea what you are talking about or how to do that. + I'm pretty sure i installed 64 bit java.
First off, having J64 installed is a nice start, but does not automatically solve all your problems. The easiest solution to get more of the details gattsuru talked about is to take a screenshot of your FTB settings from the launcher. That way it could be counted out that you have not given Java enough of your ram and similar. To get the screenshot, simply press the "Print/Screen" key on your keyboard once, then open up a graphic program of your choice (yes, even basic Windows Paint will do) and use the shortcut ctrl-v, which will paste a screenshot of your desktop into paint. Then save it, attach it to the next message in this thread and have it "insert as thumbnail". Done. Takes five seconds, promised. ;)

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Can you provide us the following fields from a DXdiag?
Display Tab - device box -
Name:
Chip Type:
Approx Total Memory:

Display Tab - driver box -
Main Driver :
Version :
Date:

To open a dxdiag :
In Vista, Win7, or Win8, type dxdiag in the Start menu search bar
In other versions of Windows, type dxdiag in the Run command (Start > Run)

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
That usually indicates a problem with your Java installation, or a possible hard disk issue. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Java.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Does your current user have read and write access permissions for the directory involved? This can sometimes be a problem if you transfer files from one computer to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.