General Genetic Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

cloj63

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I understand how mendel's laws are working, but there is still one question I can't find an answer for.
Let's say we have a pure Forest princess and a pure meadow drone. Both allele from both individual are dominant (blue). But how is determined which allele will be active?
The only outcome possible is individuals with a Forest and a Meadow allele, but what will be active? Is it pure luck?
What I tough (no proof to support) is if the active allele from one is chosen, than it is that active for the offspring, but that does not rule out what happen when both active allele from both parents are choosen...
please help.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
In reallife its called a intermediate state like red hair or corn with red and yellow bumbs
if they cannot enter the intermediate state both allel have a chance of 50% to display themselfs;
on rarer occasions you can find priorities

its a very complex system where you have to make sure your gene is just on one chromosome else you have many interferences and addtional outcomes

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
this being a game and all. in forestry it's less complex.
when combining each alele you have 3 possible result. either parents alele might be chosen, or they might be combined. this happens with both the dominant and the non dominant alele's the only difference being that the dominant one is the one that is usually expressed. the aleles chosen is based on weighted random numbers.
both dominant genes can never be chosen. it's an either or for the primary (dominant) and the secondary gene.

Since the point of bee breeding is to get new species there is also a chance of a third outcome. namely that both aleles are recombined into a new type. in the case of meadows and forest aleles this result should give you the common alele.
this gives you a total of 2 standard outcomes. (meadows/forest and forest/meadows) and 5 possible mutated outcomes. (lesser chance, since recombination is the least likely result)
thus giving rise to common/meadows combinations, common/forest combinations and in extreemely rare circumstances you get a pure common. (this is so rare that i havent heard of it actually happening.. but it's theoretically possible to luck out that big)

Reactions: damnedsky

cloj63

Jul 29, 2019
ok, so if I understand, the game does not "chose" randomly the allele from either parents, but instead look all possible combination base on parents' allele. The percentange are base on mendels law, but the actual combination has been simplified, so that it does not matter if a parents has given an active gene or not; it simply give the gene, and choose randomly which one is active.

Sengir

Jul 29, 2019
Chromosomes
Each bee has a genome made up of 13 "chromosomes". Each chromosome represents a characteristic where "Species" is one of the characteristics. (For a full breakdown of the genome see http://forestry.sengir.net/wiki/index.php?n=Beebreeding.Main#Genetics) Each chromsome is again made up of two "alleles". One allele is primary, one is secondary (0 - 1).

Alleles
Each allele contains information on a characteristic. I.e. you can have a chromosome 0 that represents "Meadows-Meadows", meaning that the primary allele is Meadows and the secondary Meadows as well. You can also have a chromosome 9 "Cave dwelling - Not cave dwelling". Any combination of those two genes is possible without regard to recessesive or dominant. You can have a "Diligent-Meadows" chromosome, even though Diligent is recessive and Meadows is dominant.

However, only one of the two alleles will be active and actually affect the bee. If the characteristics on both alleles are dominant or both are recessive, the active allele will always be the primary. If the primary allele is recessive and the secondary dominant though, the secondary will override the primary and become the active allele. (There is an exception for some very rare bee effects which can actually be kind of "co-dominant", but I'll not spoil that. :p)

Inheritance
Now, when a queen dies and a new princess/drone is spawned the following occurs:

Parent 1: Meadows-Meadows (pure Meadows), Parent 2: Forest-Diligent

On spawning the new bee, Forestry will at random choose one allele of Parent 1 and one allele of Parent 2 and recombine them as a new chromosome for the offspring. The above example can thus lead to:

Meadows-Forest (active: Meadows), Forest-Meadows (active Forest), a Meadows-Diligent (active: Meadows) or a Diligent-Meadows (active: Meadows; Diligent is recessive!) bee.

Mutation
Only on the species chromosome there is another quirk: "Mutation" to simulate a kind of evolution. Certain combinations of bee species have a chance to yield a new one. The combination Meadows-Forest is one of those and can yield the Common allele with a pretty high chance. Before Forestry chooses a new allele for the offspring from the two randomly chosen alleles of the parents, it will compare them and if there is a mutation and if that mutation wins the dice roll, the resulting allele will not be one of the origin alleles, but rather the mutated one.

This adds the following possible outcomes to our above example: Common-Diligent (active: Common), Diligent-Common (active: Common; again, Diligent is recessive!), Meadows-Common (active: Meadows) and Common-Meadows (active: Common). Note that Forest-Common is not a possibility since its single allele is always required by the Common mutation.

(Note: That's off the top of my head, I am pretty sure I got the example right, but I haven't looked at the code in a while.)

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Well.. That explains the mechanic in far more detail than i knew about.
Thanks for explaining the bee stuff Sengir. Now I might have an easier time breeding for the higher tier bee's...