Fun With Unstable Ingots

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
(Edit: Unstable Ingots are an item added by Extra Utilities. Go read that thread if you have no idea what they are.)
NsWs1hi.png

Today, I learned a bit about how Unstable Ingots work. :)

When an Unstable Ingot is crafted normally, it enters "countdown mode" and will explode under any of the following conditions:

• It is in the player's inventory after the countdown has expired.
  • It is in the player's inventory when they close a GUI screen. Any GUI screen.
  • It is thrown into the world from the player's inventory or from the player closing a GUI screen.
The explosion does no terrain damage, but also ignores all armor and blast protection enchants. If an unstable ingot explodes and you're not in Creative, you WILL die unless you're using Heart Containers to increase your max health past the normal limit.

If you're perceptive, you'll notice that this explosion hinges on the ingot being in a player's inventory. As long as you keep the ingots in the crafting grid instead of your inventory, they'll never explode no matter how long you stand there staring at the flashing colors. At least, until you close the crafting screen and they get thrown on the ground and blow up. Unfortunately, once the countdown reaches 0, the ingot is useless and can't be crafted, so there's no way around the 10 second crafting countdown.

Normally, this doesn't leave you a whole lot of room to goof around, but, like with most mods, the mod doesn't quite account for other mods being present. Here's the effects of a few other mod crafters:

Arcane Worktable / Infusion Altar
If you use an Arcane Worktable or Infusion Altar to craft the ingots, you can leave them in the crafting grid and close the GUI safely. As long as you don't take the ingots into your inventory, the ingots will not explode even after the countdown runs out. If you end up with useless 0.0 Second Ingots clogging the crafting area, you can safely dispose of them by breaking the block. The ingots will just disappear if dropped into the world by something other than the player.

Clipboard
Like the Arcane Worktable, Unstable Ingots can be safely stored in the crafting grid after closing the GUI. You can walk around with this time bomb clipboard all you want and it won't explode as long as you don't put the ingots into your inventory. Unfortunately, the Clipboard is not a block, so there's no way to safely remove the ingots once they're in there.

Worktable
Forestry's Worktable will not craft Unstable Ingots. It won't even display a crafting result. Slight improvement over earlier versions just crashing upon entering the recipe.

Automatic Crafting Table Mk II / Liquicrafter
These autocrafters are able to automatically craft Unstable Ingots, but with an interesting twist. The resulting ingots will be "pre-Countdown" and will not start the countdown until first placed into the player's inventory. The ingots cannot be used to craft anything until they are counting down, so you still won't be able to get around the 10 second limit, but you can at least place the other crafting ingredients into position before starting the countdowns on the ingots. Unstable Ingots can even be piped around into and out of other inventories just fine as long as the player never touches them. Unstable Ingots that are pre-countdown can be stacked in barrels, but Unstable Ingots that are counting down or ready to explode will not, due to mismatching NBT data. If punched into the world from a barrel, Unstable Ingots of either variety will just vanish.

Unstable Ingots that are in block inventories will start the countdown upon being taken into a player's inventory and WILL explode if left there or if the player tries closing the GUI screen with the ingot still in their inventory. Since you can't craft from a chest GUI, this makes storing Unstable Ingots only useful for novelty value or sucker bait for unsuspecting players. :p

ME Crafting Terminal
Unstable Ingots crafted in a Crafting Terminal will immediately begin counting down just like those crafted normally. Ingots that are counting down can still be stored in the ME system and will not explode as long as they're in there, but safely disposing of them by dropping them into the world is difficult due to the way ME storage works. Each Unstable Ingot that's counting down will count as a separate item due to NBT data and will not stack for ME item type purposes.

ME Molecular Assembler
Applied Energistic's autocrafting system will craft "Pre-Countdown" ingots just like most other auto-crafters. The Pre-Countdown Unstable Ingots will not explode, start counting down, or work in crafting recipes until placed into a player's inventory at least once. Before counting down, they can "stack" in the ME system, but once the countdown starts, each ingot will be treated as a separate item due to NBT data. As with other systems, the ingot will not explode at 0.0 if it's not in the player's inventory, but you may have a difficult time safely dropping the ingot into the world due to the way ME storage works.

Trying to encode an Unstable Ingot recipe into a Blank Pattern with NEI's ? button won't work due to the recipe shown using a "Pre-Countdown" ingot while the actual recipe requires an ingot that's counting down. Encoding the pattern by hand would be theoretically possible, but even if you're fast enough, there's no way to put an Unstable Ingot that's counting down into the Pattern Encoder because there's no way to have a countdown ingot in your inventory before opening the Encoder. If you want to craft anything with Unstable Ingots in an ME system, you'll need to do it by hand in a Crafting Terminal.

Logistics Crafting Table
Unlike other autocrafters, any Unstable Ingots crafted in a Logistics system will automatically come out live and will already be counting down while you watch them zip through the pipes. If your Request Pipe isn't connected to an inventory, the ingot will just drop into the world and instantly vanish. Even if you connect it to a chest or other inventory, the ingot will already be counting down, so you'll have 10 seconds minus the amount of time it took to get to the chest left. Since you can't close a GUI screen without the ingot exploding in your inventory, there isn't a whole lot of incentive to do this. Furthermore, the Logistics crafting system sees each Division Sigil as a completely different item, so every time you autocraft an Unstable Ingot, you'll need to either supply a new sigil or reset the crafting table, because it doesn't see a Sigil with 256 uses and a Sigil with 255 uses as the same item. Definitely not worth the trouble to even set up.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
nice. shame i cant get them with the division sigil activation being incompatible with enchanting+. E+ makes the table light up. ritual says no light. so no dividing by diamonds.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
nice. shame i cant get them with the division sigil activation being incompatible with enchanting+. E+ makes the table light up. ritual says no light. so no dividing by diamonds.

That's a shame! D: Has someone informed the Enchanting+ author?

The_Enemys

Jul 29, 2019
What happens if you get a pipe to drop one onto you, without opening your inventory in the first place? What if it lands in your hotbar?

EDIT: Never mind, just realized that it would despawn before you could pick it up.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
It's from Equivalent Exchange. I have no idea what its actual purpose is supposed to be, but it makes a neat looking item display case. :)

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Updated the OP with info on Applied Energistics and Logistics Pipes as well as a little info on the actual explosion itself.

Reactions: loboca

Sakata

Jul 29, 2019
(Edit: Unstable Ingots are an item added by Extra Utilities. Go read that thread if you have no idea what they are.)

snip.

Logistics Crafting Table
Unlike other autocrafters, any Unstable Ingots crafted in a Logistics system will automatically come out live and will already be counting down while you watch them zip through the pipes. If your Request Pipe isn't connected to an inventory, the ingot will just drop into the world and instantly vanish. Even if you connect it to a chest or other inventory, the ingot will already be counting down, so you'll have 10 seconds minus the amount of time it took to get to the chest left. Since you can't close a GUI screen without the ingot exploding in your inventory, there isn't a whole lot of incentive to do this. Furthermore, the Logistics crafting system sees each Division Sigil as a completely different item, so every time you autocraft an Unstable Ingot, you'll need to either supply a new sigil or reset the crafting table, because it doesn't see a Sigil with 256 uses and a Sigil with 255 uses as the same item. Definitely not worth the trouble to even set up.

Actually, there is an easy way to use them that will work quite fine with LP:
Put the recipe in as normal, but then when you import the recipe remove the division sigil from input. Put a supply pipe on another side of the LCT, and tell it to keep one sigil in the table. Problem solved. Works with minium stones, and other 'damageable' items as well.
If you use the Logistics request table, it should be able to call in unstable ingots and then you can craft from there. Just make sure your route isn't too long (Need to test that bit)

Reactions: SpitefulFox

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
This may still work, I tried it in the Resonant Rise 1.5.2 pack. I don't know if it'll work in 1.6.2. I discovered a Dartcraft clipboard with an unstable ingot still in its crafting inventory. Needless to say I wasn't ready to craft with it and I went BOOM!

I did survive. I had MPS with full energy shields and I had all of my extra heart containers. My health post explosion was only half a heart. Barely alive, but still ticking.

This could be quite the evil troll maneuver.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
This may still work, I tried it in the Resonant Rise 1.5.2 pack. I don't know if it'll work in 1.6.2. I discovered a Dartcraft clipboard with an unstable ingot still in its crafting inventory. Needless to say I wasn't ready to craft with it and I went BOOM!

I did survive. I had MPS with full energy shields and I had all of my extra heart containers. My health post explosion was only half a heart. Barely alive, but still ticking.

This could be quite the evil troll maneuver.

Trick is to not remove the unstable ingot from the crafting grid if you find one of those.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Trick is to not remove the unstable ingot from the crafting grid if you find one of those.

Its easy enough if you are making Builders Wand but if you want to make a sword and have to craft unstable ingots then you need to remove one of them from the grid.

But how good is the sword made with unstable ingot?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that it's the equivalent of a diamond sword, without breaking, and with armour piercing.

Any drawbacks to that sword? From what I gathered, most of the unstable ingots tools all have stuffs like not yielding broken blocks. And can it be enchanted? E+ works too?